Housing Related Code Amendments
On Thursday, October 7, 2021, the Planning Commission held a public hearing on the proposed Housing Related Code Amendments (10/7/2021 PC Agenda, see Item 2). The Planning Commission reviewed the proposed amendments and made recommendations for the Board of Supervisors to consider at the adoption hearing which will be held on Tuesday, November 16, 2021. (Note: Public hearing dates are subject to change.) Board and Planning Commission meeting agendas are posted on the County website at least 72 hours before the meeting date. Below are quick links to the agenda webpages.
Below are links to some of the Housing Related Code Amendments documents that will be presented to the Board at the adoption hearing on November 16, 2021.
The County’s purpose in proposing the General Plan, Zoning Ordinance and Community Design Guidelines Manual update is to provide a better framework for future housing development in the County that takes into account population growth, economic factors, demographics, and community needs and wants. This proposed project represents a component of a larger effort to implement elements of the Placer County Housing Strategy and Development Plan. The primary objectives of the Housing Related Code Amendments:
- Increase the availability of a mix of housing types in the County for existing and future residents, students, and employees whose income cannot support the cost of housing in the County;
- Improve the County’s overall employment growth by assisting County employers in reducing critical shortages of skilled workers in part driven by a lack of available housing;
- Reduce Vehicle Miles Travelled (VMT) per capita by shortening commute distances for those who commute within Placer County for education or work, or other metric for VMT as determined appropriate by the County under SB 743 legislation, and
- Bring County housing policies, ordinances, standards, and guidelines into conformance with recent changes in State law.
This proposed project is intended to implement the following objectives in addition to those of the Placer County Housing Strategy and Development Plan:
- Implement adopted General Plan policies that support efficient, resilient and sustainable housing development patterns that can be achieved through higher density, mixed use, transit oriented and infill development projects; and
- Align Placer County General Plan and Zoning Ordinance housing related land uses, development standards and implementation methods with recently adopted specific plans, community plans, and area plans.
- Implement County adopted Strategic Plan (November 20, 2018) which supports new housing construction that provides a mix of housing types for people of all income ranges through for existing and future residents.
Notice of Preparation of an EIR - Released 08-29-19
- Notice of Preparation (Posted 8-28-19) (PDF)
- Draft General Plan Amendments (Updated 9-11-19)
- Housing Code Amendment Fact Sheet (Updated 9-11-19)
- Current Zoning Ordinance in Track Changes (Updated 9/16/19) (PDF)
- Draft Design Manual Development Standards and Design Guidelines for Multi-family and Mixed Use Development