Housing Related Code Amendments
The County’s purpose in proposing the General Plan, Zoning Ordinance and Community Design Guidelines Manual update is to provide a better framework for future housing development in the County that takes into account population growth, economic factors, demographics, and community needs and wants. This proposed project represents a component of a larger effort to implement elements of the Placer County Housing Strategy and Development Plan. The primary objectives of the Housing Related Code Amendments:
- Increase the availability of a mix of housing types in the County for existing and future residents, students, and employees whose income cannot support the cost of housing in the County;
- Improve the County’s overall employment growth by assisting County employers in reducing critical shortages of skilled workers in part driven by a lack of available housing;
- Reduce Vehicle Miles Travelled (VMT) per capita by shortening commute distances for those who commute within Placer County for education or work, or other metric for VMT as determined appropriate by the County under SB 743 legislation, and
- Bring County housing policies, ordinances, standards, and guidelines into conformance with recent changes in State law.
This proposed project is intended to implement the following objectives in addition to those of the Placer County Housing Strategy and Development Plan:
- Implement adopted General Plan policies that support efficient, resilient and sustainable housing development patterns that can be achieved through higher density, mixed use, transit oriented and infill development projects; and
- Align Placer County General Plan and Zoning Ordinance housing related land uses, development standards and implementation methods with recently adopted specific plans, community plans, and area plans.
- Implement County adopted Strategic Plan (November 20, 2018) which supports new housing construction that provides a mix of housing types for people of all income ranges through for existing and future residents.
Draft Environmental Impact Report and Public Meeting
A Draft Environmental Impact Report (DEIR) has been released for this project. The DEIR comment period is January 21, 2021 through March 8, 2021.
A public Planning Commission webinar meeting will be held on February 11, 2021 to receive comments on the Draft EIR:
Enter this link into your browser to join the webinar: https://zoom.us/j/92352140767
Or Telephone: 1+ (877) 853 5247 or 1+ (888) 788 0099
Webinar ID: 923 5214 0767
The Placer County Planning Commission meeting will begin at 10:00 a.m.; however, the proposed project is not time certain. Please refer to the meeting agendas at the following link up to 1 week prior to the meetings for updated information: https://www.placer.ca.gov/AgendaCenter/Planning-Commission-53
On January 20, 2021, at 10:00 am a Community Workshop was held. To watch the recorded Community Workshop on the Housing Related Code Amendments - Multi-Family and Mixed Use Design Manual and Zoning Combination District Amendments, click here Version OptionsHousing Related Code AmendmentsHeadline.
To view the Placer County Proposed Housing Related Code Amendments in track changes, click here.49735
To view the Proposed Design Manual – Development Standards and Design Guidelines for Multi-Family and Mixed Use Development, click here. 50000
See below for a complete copy of the DEIR.
Notice of Preparation of an EIR - Released 08-29-19
- Notice of Preparation (Posted 8-28-19) (PDF)
- Draft General Plan Amendments (Updated 9-11-19)
- Housing Code Amendment Fact Sheet (Updated 9-11-19)
- Current Zoning Ordinance in Track Changes (Updated 9/16/19) (PDF)
- Draft Design Manual Development Standards and Design Guidelines for Multi-family and Mixed Use Development