Bear River Campground
Welcome to Bear River Campground
Located in Colfax, the Bear River Campground offers a variety of recreational activities from camping, hiking, swimming, fishing, gold panning and much more! The campground is home to five miles of trails that run throughout the park’s 200 acre property where wildlife such as deer, porcupines and squirrels are often seen. Make your online camping reservation now.
Placer County is in partnership with the California Land Management (CLM) who maintain, operate and assist with the Bear River Campground site.
We will not be opening reservations for the Bear River Group Campgrounds on the first working day of January 2021 due to COVID-19. At this time, reservations have been delayed to February 1st but this date may be subject to change based on conditions at that time.
Placer county parks has enacted the following protocols to slow the spread of COVID-19.
Bear River Campground
To the extent we safely can, we are pleased to keep this facility open as a place for essential outdoor exercise during these challenging times.
· The campgrounds are open. You must make a reservation online. We do not accept reservations over the phone.
· Day Use Area remains open, subject to guidelines below:
- Day use area and trail system remain open subject to orderly and safe use. Visitors are expected to practice social distancing (stay at least 6 feet away from non-household members) and avoid use of high contact areas including bathrooms and picnic tables.
- Please be considerate of people around you and neighbors in the rural surroundings. Day Use and Trails can only remain open if visitors conduct themselves in an orderly and safe manner.
As conditions surrounding the COVID-19 response change rapidly, please check status before you begin your trip. Reservations and open status are subject to change with short notice. Thank you for your patience as we all learn to cope with the threat of COVID-19 together.
For more general inquiries around COVID-19 and Placer County’s directives, view current information at www.placer.ca.gov/coronavirus
Public hotline also available at 530-886-5310.
Day-Use Hours of Operation
1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset
April 1st through October 31st
Phone: (530) 886-4901
Email: [email protected]
Emergency: 911 or Colfax Dispatch (530) 346-2256
No Open Flames: July 1st through October 31st
- No campfires and no fireworks allowed at any time
- No fireworks allowed at any time
- For more detailed information, please click on the PDF below:
FIRE RESTRICTIONS INFORMATION (PDF)
Trail Length & Use
5 miles of multiple-use trail for horses, bicycles and hikers.
Bear River Campground Multipurpose Trail
The Bear River is part of a large network of steams draining the western slope of the Sierra Nevada. It was to these streams and rivers that the pioneers of the 1800's came to seek their fortunes. Although the "Gold Rush" is over, the Bear River is still a valuable mining resource. However, today it is aggregate, not gold, which is taken from the river bed.
Bear River Campground Opens April 1st and Closes October 31st. There are 23 Family and 2 Group Camp sites available.