2021-2029 Housing Element Update
The 2021-2029 Placer County Housing Element update was submitted to the California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) on December 22, 2020 for HCD's 60-day review period. Agencies were also notified of the document submittal to HCD and an opportunity to review the document and provide the County with comments.
- Submittal Letter to HCD (submitted 12/22/20)
- A few changes were made after the Public Review Draft was released on October 30, 2020 which are shown on the Errata Sheet
|HCD review of Draft Housing Element (60 days); prepare CEQA environmental documents||December 2020 - February 2021|
|County receives "conditional compliance" letter from HCD||February 2021|
|Adoption Hearings (Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors)||March - April 2021|
|Final HCD review and certification (up to 90 days)||May - July 2021|
The Housing Element is one of seven mandatory elements of Placer County’s General Plan. Its purpose is to ensure that the existing and future housing needs for all Placer residents are met by identifying the County’s housing goals, policies, and programs. The County’s Housing Element Update will cover a period of 2021 through 2029 and will result in modifications to the current adopted 2013-2021 Housing Element to address the changing needs of County residents as well as changes to State housing law.
This website provides up-to-date information on the Housing Element Update process. It will provide you with information on upcoming community workshops, meetings, documents prepared for the Housing Element Update, and opportunities to be involved in the process and provide feedback.
Sign up to receive updates when new information is available:
NEW! Public Meetings
Learn about upcoming meetings and view materials from previous meetings.
Background - Regional Housing Needs Allocation
As a part of the Housing Element, the County is required to demonstrate that it can accommodate a specific number of units for each income category within a specific time frame – this process is known as the Regional Housing Needs Allocation (RHNA). The California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) works with each region’s council of governments (COG) to determine the projected housing needs in the region. Placer County is within the jurisdiction of the Sacramento Area Council of Governments (SACOG) and SACOG is responsible for distributing HCD’s housing needs allocation between the cities and counties within the region. More information on SACOG’s process for our regions RHNA process can be found hereBackground - Regional Housing Needs Allocation.
Housing Element Components
- Housing Needs Assessment: Provides demographic and housing need information
- Constraints Analysis: Analyzes governmental and nongovernmental constraints to the development of housing
- Evaluation of Past Performance: Assesses the County’s progress in implementing the policies and programs set forth in the prior Housing Element
- Sites Inventory and Analysis: Identifies sites available for housing development in order to accommodate the County’s RHNA
- Housing Resources: Identifies financial and other resources available to support housing development, especially affordable housing
- Goals, Policies and Programs: Establishes new policies and programs and amends existing policies and programs to address the housing needs
- Public Participation: Summarizes the efforts to involve community members as part of the Housing Element update process as well as the feedback community members provided and how that has been addressed in the Housing Element
The project schedule is outlined below. The upcoming Housing Element will cover a planning period of 2021-2029 and is due for adoption by May 2021.
- Project Initiation (Feb 2020)
- Prepare Draft Housing Element (Mar - Nov 2020)
- Virtual Community Workshop #1 (July 8, 2020)
- Virtual Community Workshop #2 (Nov 5, 2020)
- Planning Commission Meeting (Nov 12, 2020)
- Board of Supervisors Meeting (Dec 15, 2020)
- Planning Commission Hearing (March 2021)
- Board of Supervisors Adoption Hearing (Apr 2021)
- HCD certification (Spring 2021)