Reporting elder abuse

2020-11-13_11-14-18An abused elder may be reluctant to report abuse because they fear retaliation, lack physical or cognitive ability to report the abuse, or have concern over the consequences of reporting their caregiver to the authorities. We need our neighbors and community members to look out for our elderly citizens. If you are concerned that someone is being abused, please report it.

There are several different ways to report elder abuse.  Once you file a report with a law enforcement agency or Adult Protective Services, they will work with Placer County PROTECT to make sure that the appropriate agencies are notified and that the elder receives any required services. 

Local Law Enforcement Agencies

If you suspect that an elderly citizen is a victim of abuse or neglect, contact your local law enforcement agency to file a report.  You do not need to know for sure that a crime has been committed to call law enforcement and file a report.  If the elder is in immediate danger or the abuse is severe, please call 911.  If your report is not an emergency, please call the agency’s non-emergency reporting number:

  • Auburn Police Department – 530-823-4237
  • Lincoln Police Department – 916-645-4040
  • Placer County Sheriff’s Office – 530-886-5375
  • Rocklin Police Department – 916-625-5400
  • Roseville Police Department – 916-774-5000

Adult Protective Services

If you are concerned about an elder who may be experiencing physical abuse, financial abuse, isolation, abandonment, neglect, self-neglect, or mental abuse, please file a report with Adult Protective Services.   Please note that anyone may file a report anonymously.  A social worker can link the elder to community resources, involve family members, and alert law enforcement if there is evidence of a crime.  

If you want to report abuse, 

  • 24 hours, 7 days a week – 916-787-8860
  • Toll Free Number – 888-886-5401

Long Term Care Ombudsman Program

If you would like to file a complaint against a long-term care facility, nursing home, residential care facility or assisted living facilities, please contact the Long Term Care Ombudsman Program.  The Ombudsman is responsible for representing the residents at these facilities by investigating and resolving complaints.

  • General Phone Line – 916-376-8910
  • Emergency Number – 800-231-4024