Information for Funeral Homes

Attention: Due to rising costs, the Placer County Sheriff’s Office, Coroner Division is increasing our Coroner fee to $325, effective September 1, 2023

Releasing Information

Please contact our office to notify us that your funeral home has gone into contract with the family of a deceased individual in our care so we may brief you on any extenuating circumstances or noteworthy information that might concern you. When you arrive to our location for a body release, please have the release form in-hand and a check for the Coroner fee (if you are not mailing this). 

If your funeral home arrives at the Placer County Coroner’s Office to pick up a decedent without a signed release from the legal next of kin(s) in-hand, you will not be allowed to pick up the decedent. 

Release hours: 11:30am-2:30pm, Monday-Friday, excluding county holidays
Morgue location: 10951 Veterans Drive, Roseville, CA 95678

Coroner Fee: $325.00

Please have Coroner fee in check form addressed to “Placer County Sheriff’s Office, Coroner’s Unit” and bring to our office upon removal or mail to our office. Fees are waived for victims of crimes and for children under the age of 14 years old.

Address: 10951 Veterans Drive, Roseville, CA 95678

 Release Form

Please use your generic, funeral home release form and have legal next-of-kin(s) sign. If the legal next-of-kin(s) has signed their disposition rights to another individual, please include that form with your Release Authorization. If you would like the death certificate transferred to you on EDRS prior to removal from our office, fax the signed Release Authorization to (530) 889-7868 and allow a business day for it to be sent to your EDRS queue.

 Death Certificates

If the Placer County Sheriff’s Office, Coroner’s Unit is doing the death certificate for one of your cases, we will typically transfer the start of the record to your EDRS queue within a day of picking up a decedent from our facility. If there is a delay please feel free to reach out to our office at (916) 409-8253 for an update. If you notice an error on the death certificate after it has been transferred to you, please notify our office before registering the death certificate with the health department. If the family requests a different name on the death certificate than the one created by our office, please have them provide legal paperwork such as birth certificate, government identification, etc. with the corrected name and contact our office.

Referral Numbers

If you require a Coroner’s referral number (or a co-sign) on a death certificate in EDRS, please first have Vital Statistics accept the medical information portion and have the doctor attest the record. At this point please fax our office a working copy of the death certificate to (530) 889-7868 and allow us one business day to input the number.


We will typically amend the death certificates of Coroner cases within 30-60 days of death. If you would like an update as to when a specific record will be amended, please contact our office at (916) 409-8253.