Placer: Inform Us! Whistleblower Hotline
The Placer: Inform Us! Hotline has been established as a means to confidentially report improper and inappropriate activities within the county organization. The Hotline phone and online reporting form is available for reporting allegations 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The Hotline is the reporting and communication method of the Placer County Whistleblower Program, which is maintained by the Internal Audit Division of the Auditor-Controller's Office.
The County has contracted with an independent third party provider, Convercent, for the receipt of calls and online reports, which allows for fully anonymous reporting. All cases will be reviewed by the Internal Audit Division. Any case regarding any officer or employee of the Auditor-Controller's Office will be referred by the third-party hotline provider directly to County Counsel for investigation.
What to Report
The Hotline only accepts reports of allegations of fraud, waste or abuse committed against the County government by Elected Officials, Department Heads, County Managers, employees, as well as volunteers, committee members, consultants, vendors, contractors, outside agencies, and/or any other parties with a business relationship with Placer County. All other allegations, including incidents committed against outside organizations, should be directed to the appropriate resource, such as the outside organization's hotline or governing body. Internal Audits staff will not provide further follow-up regarding these allegations.
Common examples of what to report include:
- Conflict of interest
- Contractor fraud
- Gross disregard of policy and procedural controls
- Gross mismanagement of resources, including careless expenditures
- Intentional misuse of County equipment or property
- Kickbacks or bribes
- Misuse of authority for personal gain
- Payroll fraud or time abuse
- Record falsification
- Theft of County resources (e.g, cash, equipment, supplies or materials)
To report other types of fraud, waste or abuse, see the listing below for other hotlines or agencies.
Purposeful misrepresentation of reporting allegations may be construed as a malicious act. Allegations made frivolously, in bad faith or without factual basis may constitute defamation and may be legally actionable.
For County employees, malicious reporting may result in disciplinary action in accordance with County policies.
Whistleblower Protection Laws & Confidentiality
The law in California protects employees from retaliatory or adverse personnel action for disclosing certain information including, but not limited to, violations of laws and suspected acts of gross mismanagement or gross waste of public funds. These protections are detailed in Sections 1102.5 and 98.6 of the California Labor Code and 8547.1 of the California Government Code. County employees can choose to remain anonymous or provide his or her name. Confidentiality is the highest priority within the Whistleblower Program and all steps will be taken to ensure your identity remains confidential to the extent allowed by the law. The Hotline allows for the reporting party to follow-up on the status of the case by either calling the toll-free hotline or logging into the web reporting portal.
How to Report
- Phone Hotline: 800-461-9330
- Online: Reporting Form and Follow-up Portal
Please ensure you have the following information prior to contacting the hotline:
- Date or period incident(s) occurred
- Frequency of occurrence (if applicable)
- Person(s) and/or Agency(s) involved, name, position, department, location, etc.
- A detailed description of the incident. What, when, where, how, and who was involved or may be aware of the incident. Please be as detailed as possible. Please include any additional information that may help our review.
Other Hotlines or Agencies
- Adult Protective Services Phone: 916-787-8860 or 888-886-5401
- Better Business Bureau Phone: 916-443-6843
- California Bureau of State Audits Whistleblower Hotline Phone: 800-952-5665
- California Franchise Tax Board Phone: 800-540-3453
- Child Abuse Hotline Phone: 916-872-6549 or 866-293-1940
- Child Support Services Phone: 866-901-3212
- Consumer Affairs Phone: 916-445-1254 or 800-952-5210
- Contractor State License Board Phone: 916-255-2924 or 800-321-CSLB (2752)
- Federal Trade Commission Phone: 877-IDTHEFT or 877-438-4338
- Internet Crime Complaint Center Phone: 800-CALLFBI or 800-225-5324
- Legal Services of Northern Cal;California Phone: 800-660-6107
- Mail theft/fraud/tampering Phone: 800-ASK-USPS or 800-275-8777
- Medi-Cal Fraud Phone: 800-822-6222
- Medicare Fraud Phone: 800-447-8477
- Placer County Crime Stoppers Phone: 800-923-8191
- Placer County Sheriff Main Office Phone: 530-889-7800
- Public Assistance Fraud - including Welfare, Food Stamps, In-Home Supportive Services, Adult System of Care, etc. Phone: 800-889-7610 or 916-784-6180
- Social Security Fraud Phone: 800-269-0271
- Stand Up Placer Phone: 800-575-5352
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration National Helpline Phone: 800-662-HELP (4357)