Burn Permits

North Fork Burn Piles-003

CAL FIRE Nevada-Yuba-Placer Unit/Placer County Fire Department requires burn permits for residential vegetative material pile burning during certain parts of the year.

CAL FIRE will announce when burn permits are required. Burning can only be done on permissive burn days. To find out if it is a permissive burn day, contact the Placer County Air Pollution Control District: Auburn area (including all cellphone users): 530-889-6868. Outside Auburn, toll-free: 800-998-BURN (2876). Placer's burn day website: http://www.placerair.org/burnday

When acquiring a burn permit keep in mind: 

  • The unit chief will implement a burn ban when weather conditions warrant.
  • Only vegetative material such as leaves, pine needles and tree trimmings may be burned.
  • Household garbage may NOT be burned.
  • Do not burn on windy days.
  • Burning can only be done during permissive times.
  • You must have a signed permit in your possession while you are burning, and you are
  • Possession of a permit does not protect you if your fire escapes. You could potentially be liable for costs if your project escapes your control or burns the property of another.
  • If a fire escapes your control, you should call 9-1-1. Wildfires can spread very quickly. A fast response from the fire department can reduce suppression cost considerably.
  • Simple common sense can greatly reduce the chance of an escape. If you do not feel it is safe to conduct a burn, then do not!

Burn permits can be obtained online at burnpermit.fire.ca.gov. Watch the mandatory video, which reviews burning requirements and safety tips, fill in the required fields, submit the form and a burn permit will be created. You must then print the permit. 

Permits are valid on a yearly cycle, May 1st – April 30th. Changing conditions may necessitate an early burn suspension. Learn more