SB 1383: New State Organic Waste Regulations - Effective 2022

California organic waste regulations (SB 1383) went into effect Jan. 1, 2022. Among other things, the state regulation requires residents and businesses to recycle their organic waste – meaning things like food waste, yard waste, paper, and cardboard. Organic wastes are targeted because they produce methane, a potent greenhouse gas, when they decompose in a landfill.

There is good news for Placer County residents and businesses. Whether garbage is collected curbside or dropped off at one of the transfer stations in the county, it goes to one of two Materials Recovery Facilities (MRFs) where many of these materials, with the exception of food waste, are already being recovered for recycling, see for yourself! Our mixed waste collection program - called One Big Bin - ensures 100% of us are recycling and minimizes greenhouse gas emissions by having one truck route to collect trash and recyclables together.  

While the County's One Big Bin program is designed to make organic recycling easy for you, there are still things that we all can do as individuals or businesses to help make a difference – such as preventing food waste or taking steps to keep food waste and other organic materials out of our landfills. Find tips for more purposeful shopping and cooking, and good food storage techniques here. Composting at home is also a great option.

  1. Residential
  2. Commercial

The Western Placer Waste Management Authority's (WPWMA) new MRF operator is now in place and will implement innovative technologies that will significantly increase the amount of organic waste recycled – including food waste – to meet SB 1383’s required recovery rates. The improvements, started in mid-2022, will satisfy residential SB 1383 organic waste recycling requirements so that western Placer County residents will not be required to separate food waste from their garbage.

Some CalRecycle waivers apply in the Tahoe area, including a waiver from the SB 1383 requirement to separate and recycle food waste so that Eastern County residents will not be required to separate food waste from their garbage.

Report a Potential SB 1383 Violation

You can report a potential violation of SB 1383 requirements using this online form or by contacting Environmental Engineering at [email protected] or 530-889-6846.