Transportation Safety

Placer County is committed to improving transportation safety and reducing the risk of death and serious injury that result from incidents on its transportation systems. Together with our agency partners, County utilizes the four disciplines of transportation safety: Engineering, Enforcement, Education, and Emergency Services.

In 2021, the County adopted the Local Roadway Safety Plan (LRSP). The purpose of this document is to establish a framework and process for identifying, analyzing, and prioritizing roadway safety improvements on Placer County roadways. The Plan was prepared in compliance with State and Federal guidelines for eligibility to apply for Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) funding and provides necessary data to support current and future applications for the recommended projects.

Placer County Local Roadway Safety Plan (PDF)

Local Roadway Safety Plan Overview Video 

Frequently Asked Questions

Placer County frequently receives questions about transportation safety. Here are answers to the most common questions.

  • How can I report a non-emergency concern or request regarding a roadway?
    • Placer County Connect  is an easy and convenient way to request a non-emergency county service or access county information. Your request will automatically be routed to the appropriate department, and you will receive updates on the progress of your request until it is completed.
  • Where can I find more information on the roadway system?
  • How can I report a speeding issue?
    • The California Highway Patrol (CHP) provides enforcement of traffic laws on County roadways.   You can report a traffic issue to the CHP office near you:
      • Auburn:        9440 Indian Hill Road, Newcastle CA        (916) 663-3344
      • Gold Run:    50 Canyon Creek Road, Gold Run CA      (530) 388-9100
      • Truckee:      10475 Pioneer Trail, Truckee CA               (530) 563-9200

Additional information can be found here:  CHP Valley Division. Speeding issues can also be reported to the Department of Public Works using the Placer County Connect system. The County can use engineering and education techniques to address speeding, while the CHP can enforce speed limits and other traffic laws.

  • What kind of transportation improvements are planned for my community?
    • Long-range transportation improvements are documented in the Countywide Capital Improvement Program (CIP). There are CIP project lists for each traffic fee benefit district. Each CIP identifies roadway improvements needed to serve the future transportation demands on the roadway system. The Placer County Board of Supervisors sets priorities for the construction of the projects within each benefit district. Refer to the Traffic Fee Program webpage to find more information on long-range transportation improvements.