COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 8, 2005
Bill Santucci, District 1, Vice Chairman Jan Christofferson, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2, Chairman Robert Bendorf, Assistant County Executive
Jim Holmes, District 3 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Edward Ted M. Gaines, District 4 John Marin, Administrative Officer
Bruce Kranz, District 5 Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
FLAG SALUTE - Led by Supervisor Gaines.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Persons may address the Board on items not on this agenda. Please limit comments to 3 minutes per person since the time allocated for Public Comment is 15 minutes. If all comments cannot be heard within the 15-minute time limit, the Public Comment period will be taken up at the end of the regular session. The Board is not permitted to take any action on items addressed under Public Comment.
SUPERVISORS COMMITTEE REPORTS:
CONSENT AGENDA: All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 1 thru 13) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item will be removed from the Agenda for discussion.
1. ORDINANCES Second reading:
a. County Executive/Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCO (PDF)) Ordinance amending Chapter 3, Section 3.08.070 and 3.12.030, relating to title and specification changes to the Local Agency Formation Commission Executive Officer/General Counsel position in the unclassified service and modified the salary to be commensurate with the newly adopted duties.
2. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Resolution commending Robert "Bob" Veerkamp (PDF), Senior Project Manager, Facility Services, upon his retirement after more than 30 years of service to Placer County.
3. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY (PDF) - County Counsel recommends rejection of the following claims:
a. 04-136, Hart, Vicki, Not Stated, (Property Damage).
b. 04-145, Paige, Robert, $450, (Reimbursement).
c. 04-131, Salinas, Maria S., $5,000, (Property Loss).
4. COUNTY CLERK-RECORDER (PDF) Approve revision of specifications for the unclassified position of Assistant Registrar of Voters and introduction of an ordinance, changing the position title and compensation. Approve revisions to the class specifications of Assistant County Clerk. Proposed changes complete department management restructuring with all costs fully offset by increased trust reimbursements.
5. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Economic Development Board (PDF) Approve appointment of Betty Milam Azevedo to Seat #3 (District 3), as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
b. Foresthill Forum Advisory Council (PDF) - - Approve appointment of Brian P. Connelly to Seat #1, Gail McCafferty to Seat #2, John Davis to Seat #3, Keith Drone to Seat #4, Cynthia Wardleigh to Seat #5, Lawrence (Larry) A. Jordan to Seat #6 and Sharon Page to Seat #7, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
c. Library Advisory Board (PDF) Approve appointment of Madelaine Kiliary to Seat #4 (District 4), as requested by Supervisor Gaines and reappointment of Pam Hart to Seat #3 (District 3), as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
d. Meadow Vista Municipal Advisory Council (PDF) - Approve appointment of Alex Constantino to Seat #1, Roy Ciardella to Seat #2, John A. Sellers to Seat #3, Kevin L. Wegener to Seat #4, William Vogel III to Seat #5 and Michael W. Thomas to Seat #6, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
e. North Auburn Municipal Advisory Council (PDF) Approve appointment of Todd Lindstrom to Seat #7 (Business Owners), as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
f. North Tahoe Regional Advisory Council (PDF) - Approve appointment of Jan Brisco to Seat #1, Myron "Mike" B. Hawkins to Seat #2, Don Barrientos to Seat #3, Lisa Molinari to Seat #4 and Jim Williamson to Seat #5, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
g. Roseville Public Cemetery District (PDF) Approve appointment of Susan Goto to Seat #5 , as requested by Supervisor Santucci.
h. Squaw Valley Municipal Advisory Council (PDF)- - Approve appointment of Ellen Wilkins Hudson to Seat #1, Russell Poulsen to Seat #2, Charles E. Luckhardt to Seat #3, and Sidney E. Crockett to Seat #4, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
i. Weimar/Applegate/Colfax Municipal Advisory Council (PDF) - Approve appointment of Karen J. Russell to Seat #1, Daniel J. Dove to Seat #2 and John Jones Greene III to Seat #3, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
6. COUNTY COUNSEL (PDF) Resolutions (11) amending the Municipal Advisory Council (hereinafter MAC) in the County of Placer to change the term of member appointments so that the two year terms always end on January 31 of the appropriate year for MACs within supervisorial districts one, three, four, and five, reflect consistent language and format for each authorizing resolution, immediately and fix the member terms for all MACs, except those in district two, to commence with supervisorial terms when appropriate.
7. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Landfill Gas System (PDF) - Approve an agreement with SCS Field Services, in an amount not to exceed $110,876, for the operation and maintenance of the Landfill Gas System at the Meadow Vista, Loomis and Eastern Regional landfills.
b. Property Management (PDF) - Approve Amendment #1 to Lease Agreement #11551 with Cagle Properties, LLC, to augment the tenant improvement allocation by $30,000 for space used by Records Management.
c. Special Districts (PDF) - Approve a contribution of $5,000 to the Central Valley Clean Water Association for the Methylmercury Special Project.
8. PERSONNEL/CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION:
a. Introduction of an ordinance (PDF), amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, Appendices DSAS-3 and MGTS-09, relating to salaries for the classifications covered by Proposition F and other associated law enforcement classifications, effective February 4, 2005, 5:01 p.m.
b. Introduction of an ordinance (PDF), amending Chapter 3, sections 3.08.070, 3.12.010, 3.12.020 and 3.12.030 relating to the departments of County Clerk Recorder, County Executive Office, Facility Services and Health & Human Services.
9. PLANNING/PROPOSITION 40/RIVER PARKWAYS GRANT PROGRAM:
a. Didion Regional Park (PDF) Authorize the Planning Director to sign a grant agreement with the California Resources Agency, in the amount of $46,500, for improvements to the property.
b. Gould/Cisco Grove Park (PDF) - Authorize the Planning Director to sign a grant agreement with the California Resources Agency, in the amount of $52,500, for improvements to the property.
10. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested bids under $100,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Purchase Order, Safety Supplies/Emergency Services (PDF) Approve Change Order #1 to blanket purchase order with Empire Safety, in an amount not to exceed $95,000.
b. Request for Proposal #9356 (PDF), Color Copier Lease/Central Services Cancel Bid #9335 and award Request for Proposal #9356 to ABDick, A Presstek Company for a three-year lease, in the maximum amount of $98,000.
11 PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Bike/Pedestrian Facilities Grant (PDF) Resolution approving and authorizing the Chairman to execute a claim for 2004/05 Placer County Transportation Planning Agency Transportation Development Act Bike/Pedestrian Grant Funds, in the amount of $431,634, for bike and pedestrian projects.
b. Morgan Creek Village P, Tract #907 (PDF) Accept improvements as complete, reduce the faithful performance to 25% upon Board approval and reduce labor and material to 50%, holding for six months or longer if claims exist.
c. Sun Valley Oaks Phase 2, Tract #896 (PDF) Accept improvements as complete, reduce sureties, approve resolution accepting Wellbrook Place, Bridgestone Crescent Road, Springhill Drive, Parkwood Way, Parkwood Court, and Clouds Hill Road into the County Maintained Mileage System.
d. Transit/United Auburn Indian Community (PDF) Approve agreement with the United Auburn Indian Community for transit services to Thunder Valley Casino.
12. REVENUE SHARING:
a. Approve appropriation of $1,250 in Revenue Sharing monies to The Boys and Girls Club of Auburn (PDF), to assist with the Youth Enrichment Program, as requested by Supervisor Holmes ($1,000) and Supervisor Gaines ($250).
b. Approve appropriation of $200 in Revenue Sharing monies to Glen Edwards Middle School (PDF), for the People to People Student Ambassador Program supporting student Jocelyn Andersson, selected to represent the community during the summer 2005 trip to England, Wales and Ireland, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
c. Approve appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to The Gathering Inn (PDF), a faith-based program for homeless people, as requested by Supervisor Santucci.
d. Approve appropriation of $700 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Hispanic Empowerment Association of Roseville (PDF), for the 5th annual Cesar E. Chavez Youth Leadership Conference, as requested by Supervisor Santucci ($200) Supervisor Weygandt ($250) and Supervisor Holmes ($250).
e. Approve appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the City of Rocklin (PDF), for the annual Jubilee Sponsorship Program, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
f. Approve appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to The Lazarus Project (PDF) for their 5th Annual St. Patrick's Day Fundraising Dinner, to offset the costs of providing transitional services to homeless individuals, as requested by Supervisor Santucci and Supervisor Gaines ($250 each).
g. Approve appropriation of $2,500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Lincoln Arts and Culture Foundation, (PDF) for the 18th Annual Feats of Clay event, a fundraiser for the arts, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
h. Approve appropriation of $100 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Lincoln High School (PDF) "Sober Grad Night", as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
i. Approve appropriation of $200 in Revenue Sharing monies to Lincoln High School (PDF) for the All Tournament Sports Summer Volleyball Tournament in Honolulu, Hawaii, represented by student Sarah Kratz, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
j. Approve appropriation of $1,350 in Revenue Sharing monies to National Alliances (PDF) for the Mentally Ill of Placer County, as requested by Supervisor Santucci ($250) Supervisor Weygandt ($100) and Supervisor Gaines ($1,000).
k. Approve appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to Placer High School for Girls Varsity Cross Country Team Championship rings (PDF), as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
l. Approve appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Roseville Historical Society and the City of Roseville (PDF), for the Locomotive 2252 Relocation Project, as requested by Supervisor Gaines.
m. Approve appropriation of $3,000 in Revenue Sharing monies to Placer Care Coalition, Inc (PDF)., for the 5th Annual Raising Spirits food and wine tasting fundraiser, as requested by Supervisor Santucci and Supervisor Weygandt ($500 each) and Supervisor Holmes and Supervisor Gaines ($1,000 each).
13 TREASURER-TAX COLLECTOR:
a. Investment Policy - Resolution approving the 2005 Placer County Treasurer's Statement of Investment Policy; (PDF) introduction of an ordinance, delegating the authority to invest certain funds under the control of the Board of Supervisors to the Treasurer; and review and accept the annual Treasury Oversight Committee compliance audit for calendar year ending December 31, 2004.
b. Approve transfer of unclaimed monies (PDF), in the amount of $9,853.54, to the General Fund #100.
*** End of Consent Agenda***
14. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Bid #9028, Road & Parking Lot Services/Public Works (PDF) Renew blanket purchase order with Teichert Construction, in the maximum amount of $125,000.
ADJOURN AS THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND CONVENE
AS THE IN HOME SUPPORTIVE SERVICES PUBLIC AUTHORITY
15. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Request for Proposal #9389, Insurance for In-Home Supportive Services (PDF) Award to Symetra Financial, in the maximum of $785,040.
ADJOURN AS THE IN-HOME SUPPORTIVE SERVICES PUBLIC AUTHORITY
AND RECONVENE AS THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
16. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
16. PLANNING/DRY CREEK WATERSHED (PDF) Approve contract with Sacramento Area Flood Control Agency to accept grant funds to pay for the Watershed Coordinator position.
17. PUBLIC WORKS/BROOK AVENUE PUBLIC PARKING FACILITY (PDF) - Resolution ratifying the Mitigated Negative Declaration, approve the project plans and specifications, authorize the Chairman to sign the cover sheet of the plans and authorize the Director of Public Works to advertise for bids to construct the project.
PERSONNEL SESSION/LABOR RELATIONS
Pursuant to the cited authority (all references are to the Government Code), the Board of Supervisors will hold a closed session to discuss the following listed items. A report of any action taken will be presented prior to adjournment.
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(a) Sierra Club; vs. Placer County, Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-14130.
(b) Town of Loomis vs. Placer County, Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-14231.
(c) Judi Jackson vs. County of Placer, U.S.D.C. Case No.: CIV.S 05-79FCD KJM.
(d) Pacific Gas and Electric Company, vs. State Board of Equalization; Fresno County Superior Court Case No.: 05CE CG 00003 MWS.
(e) Sierra Watch vs. Placer County, Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-16652.
(f) Walter Fickewirth vs. County of Placer, Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-16643.
(g) Kirk and Michelle Scilacci vs. The Board of Supervisors of the County of Placer, Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-16646.
(h) Michael Langford, WCAB Claim, File No.: SAC 337170.
(i) Greg Staab, WCAB Claim, File No.: SAC 327766
(j) Residents Against Inconsistent Development (RAID) vs. County of Placer, Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-13229.
(k) Edward T. Navickis, Claim No.: 09-20-04-103.
(2) Anticipated Litigation:
(a) Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to subdivision (b) of Government Code §54956.9: three potential cases.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR
Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: DSA/PPEO
CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
19. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS (PDF) Presentation of a resolution commending Robert "Bob" Veerkamp, Senior Project Manager, Facility Services, upon his retirement after more than 30 years of service to Placer County.
20. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Presentation of a proclamation recognizing the Placer High School Varsity Girl's Cross Country Team (PDF), for their outstanding achievement in winning the 2004 California State Championship competition.
21. PUBLIC WORKS/SUNSET BOULEVARD/STATE ROUTE 65 INTERCHANGE (PDF) - Public hearing to consider adoption of a resolution approving the Mitigated Negative Declaration (EIAQ-3814) prepared for the Sunset Boulevard/State Route 65 Interchange.
22. PUBLIC WORKS/LOS LAGOS CIRCLE SOUTH (PDF) Consider adoption of a resolution confirming address assignments on a portion of Los Lagos Circle South in the Granite Bay area.
23. PLANNING/REZONE/"DRY CREEK BUSINESS PARK" (PREAT20040535) MITIGATED NEGATIVE DECLARATION (PDF) - Public hearing to consider the approval of a proposed rezoning to C3-UP-Dc (Heavy Commercial, Combining Conditional Use permit, Combining Design Scenic Corridor). The current zoning is C2-Dc (General Commercial, Combining Design Scenic Corridor). The subject parcels APN 076-420-059 and 076-420-060 are located on Dry Creek Road, 400' west of Highway 49 in the Auburn area. The Board will also consider the adoption of a Mitigated Negative Declaration for the project.
24. VALLEY VISION (PDF) Power point presentation regarding Quality of Life Report, highlighting issues on a regional scale.
25. LUNCH - With the Auburn Rotary at the Elk's Lodge, 195 Pine Street, Auburn.
26. PLANNING/APPEAL/MINOR USE PERMIT/CONDITIONAL USE PERMIT/VARIANCE "BACKUS ACCESSORY STRUCTURE" (PMUPT20040064) (PDF) - Public hearing to consider an appeal from Bartley Backus. The Planning Commission denied Mr. Backus's requested County approval to (1) construct an agricultural structure prior to constructing the primary structure; (2) allow for a travel trailer as a temporary dwelling, and (3) allow for a variance to the east front setback requirement of 75' to centerline or 50' to edge of easement to allow for a 15' to edge of easement in order to construct the agricultural structure. The property (APN 071-140-059) consists of 1.5 acres, is located at 21260 Snooks Road in the Weimar area, and is currently zoned RA-B-100 (Residential Agricultural, Combining Building Site Size of 100,000 sq. ft.). (The attorney representing Mr. Backus has requested a continuance.)
27. PLANNING/REZONE/"CHAMBERLIN" (PREAT20040045) MITIGATED NEGATIVE DECLARATION (PDF) Public hearing to consider a recommendation of denial of this rezone application by the Placer County Planning Commission, which consisted of a rezoning to RS-B-10 (Residential-Single Family, Combining building site of 10,000 sq. ft.); the current zoning is RS-B-43 (Residential-Single Family, Combining building site of 1 acre min.). The property APN 040-150-023 is located at 397 2nd Street in the Newcastle area. The Board may consider the adoption of a Mitigated Negative declaration for the project.
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
28. TREASURER-TAX COLLECTOR (PDF) Treasurer's statement for month ending December 2004.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS 2005 MEETING SCHEDULE:
February 22, 2005
March 08, 2005
March 29, 2005
April 18, 2005 (Tahoe)
April 19, 2005 (Tahoe)
April 26, 2005