COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, JULY 7, 2009
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm, District 1, Chairman Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3 Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4, Vice Chairman Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Jennifer Montgomery, District 5 Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Board after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection at the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors Office, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, during normal business hours. Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you require disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Anthony La Bouff, County Counsel.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Persons may address the Board on items not on this agenda. Please limit comments to 3 minutes per person since the time allocated for Public Comment is 15 minutes. If all comments cannot be heard within the 15-minute time limit, the Public Comment period will be taken up at the end of the regular session. The Board is not permitted to take any action on items addressed under Public Comment.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS:
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 4- 8) - All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 14 thru 28) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion. The Board will also convene as the Redevelopment Agency Board for item #27.
TIMED ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE TIME SHOWN
1. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS (PDF) – Presentation of a Commendation recognizing Justin Coupe and Palmer Taylor, along with their film crew, for the valuable work dedicated to creating the documentary film, “Rivers of a Lost Coast” that focuses on preserving the treasured sport of fly fishing and the environmental trials facing steelhead and salmon fly fishing along the Northern California Coastline.
2. COUNTY EXECUTIVE (PDF) /COMMUNITY GRANTS & LOANS - Public hearing to consider adoption of a resolution authorizing the submission of a 2009-2010 Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) application to the California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) for up to $400,000 for housing rehabilitation in Kings Beach and authorizing the Chief Assistant CEO or his designee to execute the application and all other related documents.
3. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES (PDF) /ANIMAL SERVICES - Request the Board take the following actions:
a. Conduct a public hearing to consider adjustments in fees,
b. Adopt a Resolution establishing the fees for Animal Services,
c. Adopt an Ordinance to amend Section 130 of Article 2.116 of Chapter 2 of the Placer County Code (Section 2.116.130), Fees for Domestic Animal Control relating to Health & Human Services Animal Services Fees.
4. SHERIFF (PDF) – Public hearing to review and approve an ordinance amendment for Placer County Code 2.116.080 and 2.124.050 modifying booking fees to $129 and incarceration fees for the main jail and minimum security in the amounts of $167 and $66, respectively and the addition of 2.116.085 for Jail Access Fees in the amount of $393.
5. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY (PDF) /PLANNING/ZONING TEXT AMENDMENT (PZTA 20090114) OUTDOOR EATING AREAS – Public hearing to consider adoption of an ordinance amending Sections 17.56.190(A) (Restaurants, Outdoor Eating Areas), 17.04.030 (Definitions, “Restaurants and Bars”) and 17.54.060 (6) (Parking Standards, Retail Trade Uses) of the Placer County Zoning Ordinance in order to establish alternative standards for outdoor eating areas as approved by the Planning Commission.
6. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS (PDF) - Receive a briefing on the upcoming fire season from Fire Chief Brad Harris at the CAL FIRE Fire Station, 13760 Bowman Road, Auburn.
DEPARTMENT ITEMS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ACTION AS TIME ALLOWS
7. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT – Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Purchase Order (PDF) , One Truck Mounted Vactor 2105 Series Combination Catch Basin/Sewer Cleaner/Facility Services - Award a Purchase Order as a result of a City of Roseville competitively awarded contract with Riverview International Trucks, LLC, in the amount of $365,902.50.
8. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY:
a. Plan Check and Inspection Fee Spreadsheet (PDF) /Inflationary Adjustment - Conduct a Public Hearing and adopt a Resolution to adjust the Plan Check and Inspection Fee Spreadsheet to reflect an inflationary increase of 2.5% to become effective August 10, 2009.
b. Northstar Village Phases 1 & 2 (PDF) , tract #920, PN 8211 and PN 8227 – The department has inspected construction of all improvements within Northstar Village Phases 1 and 2 and found the work to be in accordance with approved standards. Therefore, it is requested that the Board take the following action:
Accept the improvements as complete.
1. Authorize reducing the Faithful Performance and Labor and Materials bonds to the following amounts:
a) Faithful Performance to 25% or $48,388.70 immediately upon your Board’s approval.
b) Labor and Material to 50% or $96,777.40 or the total of all claims per G.C.66499.7, whichever is higher, for six months or longer if claims exist.
2. Authorize the Chairman to sign the Amendment to Subdivision Improvement Agreement.
3. Instruct the Clerk of the Board to prepare the Amendment to Subdivision Improvement Agreement for recording.
4. Adopt a Resolution to abandon the Water and Sewer Easements created on the final map.
c. Northstar Village Phases 3 & 4 (PDF) , Tract # 946, PN 8323 - The department has inspected construction of all improvements within the Northstar Village Phases 3 and 4 and found the work to be in accordance with approved standards. Therefore, it is requested that the Board take the following action:
1. Accept the improvements as complete.
2. Authorize releasing the Faithful Performance and Labor and Materials bonds.
3. Authorize the Chairman to sign the Release of Subdivision Improvement Agreement
Instruct the Clerk of the Board to prepare the Release of Subdivision Improvement Agreement for recording
4 Adopt a Resolution to abandon the Water Easements created on the final map.
9. FACILITY SERVICES (PDF) /PERCIVAL PARCEL ACQUISITION/SHERIDAN - It is recommended that the Board take the following actions associated with acquisition of the Percival Parcel located in Sheridan, California:
1) Adopt a Resolution delegating authority to the Director of Facility Services, or his designee, upon the approval of Risk Management and County Counsel:
a. To execute all documents and take all actions necessary to complete the acquisition of approximately 16 acres of undeveloped land identified as Placer County Assessor’s Parcel Number 019-250-006-000, in Sheridan, California for Two Hundred Fifty Thousand Dollars ($250,000); and
b. To execute all documents and take all actions as necessary to receive grant funding in the approximate amount of Two Hundred Fifteen Thousand Dollars ($215,000) from the Small Community Wastewater Grant Program to assist in this acquisition; and
2) Authorize addition of this property to the Master Fixed Asset list.
10. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES (PDF) /ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/ADULT SYSTEM OF CARE - Approve and authorize the Chairman to sign a FY 2008-09 Adult System of Care budget revision in the amount of $550,000, necessary to maintain the provision of essential and State-funded mental health services. State funds are also included in the Department’s FY 2009-10 Proposed Budget to provide continuation of these services. No County General Funds are required.
11. PUBLIC WORKS (PDF) /DICK COOK ROAD BRIDGE REPLACEMENT PROJECT, CONTRACT #1031 – Adopt a Resolution authorizing the Chairman to award and execute, with County Counsel and Risk Management review and approval, the construction contract for the Dick Cook Road Bridge Replacement Project to McGuire and Hester Inc., in the amount of $874,744.70 and authorize the Director of Public Works to execute contract change orders up to $100,000.
12. SHERIFF (PDF) - Approve the cooperative agreement for Roadside Work for litter removal between Placer County Sheriff-Coroner-Marshal (PCSO) and California Department of Transportation (CALTRANS) for a three-year term, effective July 1, 2009 through June 30, 2012 in the total contract amount of $593,452. The amount allocated in the contract for FY 2009/2010 is $192,000, an increase of $16,000 over the amount budgeted. There is no impact to the General Fund.
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
1. Existing Litigation:
(a) John and Cassandra Springer vs. County of Placer, et al., U.S.D.C. Eastern District, Case No.: 2:06-CV-00310-GEB-DAD
(B) §54956.8 – CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATOR
(a) Property: APNS: 094-200-026, 094-200-027, 094-200-029, 094-200-037, 094-200-050, and 094-200-051; and, 090-133-006, 090-133-007, 090-133-008, 090-133-009, 090-133-010, 090-133-011, and 090-133-012
Agency Negotiator(s): Tom Miller, Jim Durfee, Mary Dietrich, Anthony La Bouff.
Negotiating Parties: County of Placer and B.B. LLC; and John and Leslie Hyche.
Under Negotiation: Price, terms of payment, or both.
(C) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATORS
(a) Agency designated representatives: Tom Miller, Nancy Nittler, Mike Boyle, Gerald O. Carden, Anthony J. La Bouff
Employee organization: PPEO. DSA.
CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 4-8) - All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 14 thru 28) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion. The Board will also convene as the Redevelopment Agency Board for item #27.
14. ORDINANCES – Second reading:
a. County Executive (PDF) - Ordinance amending the Un-codified Unclassified Service-Schedule of Classifications, Salary Plan and Grade Ordinance to approve the unclassified job specification for Assistant Director, Administrative Services Department.
15. AGRICULTURE (PDF) – Resolution authorizing the Placer County Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer to sign contract #09-0145 in the amount of $1,990 with the California Department of Food and Agriculture for Organic Inspection Compliance Programs for the Fiscal Year 2009–10.
16. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Approve a Commendation (PDF) honoring Joe Medeiros for being named the 2009 recipient of the, “Placer Conservator of the Year Award” by Placer land Trust.
b. Approve minutes (PDF) of June 9, 2009.
17. CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION (PDF) /PERSONNEL - Introduction of an ordinance with recommendations from the Civil Service Commission to approve the new classification of Temporary Office Assistant and to amend the un-codified Unclassified Service – Schedule of Classifications, Salary Plan and Grade Ordinance.
18. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY (PDF) – Reject the following claims, as recommended by Counsel:
a. 09-059, Bohnet, Lucille, Unstated, (Personal Injury)
b. 09-062, Tanabe, Atsuko, In Excess of $5,000,000, (Bodily Injury)
c. 09-067, Petievich, George, $1,500,000, (Bodily Injury)
19. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Placer Sierra Fire Safe Council (PDF) – Accept letter of resignation from John Fee Seat 1 representing the Greater Colfax Area, effective July 7, 2009 and approve the appointment of Karina Silvas to Seat 1, as requested by Supervisor Montgomery.
20. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY:
a. Placer County Conservation Plan (PCCP) (PDF) - Approve an amendment to the Hausrath Economics Group (HEG) contract for the preparation of the Placer County Conservation Plan (PCCP) Environmental Impact Statement/Environmental Impact Report (EIS/EIR) and authorize the County Executive Officer to sign the contract amendment as submitted. The subject contract amendment for HEG is for $185,338.30 which will bring the total contract amount to $532,793.30.
b. Inflationary Adjustment (PDF) to Dry Creek Watershed Drainage improvement Fee - Recognize that the annual adjustment to the Dry Creek Watershed Drainage Improvement Fee is not required this year due to the minor increase of 0.1% in the Consumer Price Index.
21. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Approve the North Lake Tahoe Resort Association’s (PDF) proposed expenditure of budgeted infrastructure funds to plan and develop the Squaw Valley Olympic Museum and Western Winter Sports Heritage Center ($100,000), implement three demonstration wayfinding signage projects ($33,000) and permit and install traffic calming and pedestrian safety devices ($26,700).
b. Approve a resolution (PDF) designating the Arts Council of Placer County as Placer County’s local partner in the California Art’s Council State and Local Partnership program and authorize the County Executive Officer to sign a contract with the Arts Council of Placer County to promote and encourage interest and participation in the arts and humanities within Placer County in the amount of $120,000 for the period of July 1, 2009 through June 30, 2010.
22. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT GRANTS & LOANS:
a. Authorize the write-off (PDF) of $43,538, the principal balance of a HOME First Time Homebuyer Loan, made in the Placer County Community Revitalization Fund.
b. Authorize the write-off (PDF) of $33,660, the uncollectible portion of a HOME First Time Homebuyer loan in the amount of $60,000, made in the Placer County Community Revitalization Fund.
23. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Sheridan Sprayfield Expansion (PDF) , Project 04823 – Staff recommends the Board take the following action:
1. Approve the Plans and Specifications and authorize staff to solicit bids; and
2. Adopt a Resolution authorizing the Director of Facility Services to award and execute the resulting construction contract, in an amount not to exceed $1,525,000, upon Risk Management’s and County Counsel’s review and approval, and approve any required change orders consistent with the County Purchasing Manual and Section 20142 of the Public Contract Code.
b. Demolition of Buildings (PDF) 213 - 217 & The Fulweiler Modular, Project #4810 – It is recommended that the Board take the following action associated with the Demolition of Buildings 213 - 217 located in the Placer County Government Center in north Auburn, and the Fulweiler Modular Building located at 145 Fulweiler Avenue in Auburn:
1. Approve Plans and Specifications and authorize staff to solicit bids for the Demolition of Buildings 213 - 217 and the Fulweiler Modular Building, Project No. 4810.
2. Approve a Resolution authorizing the Director of Facility Services to award and execute a demolition contract in an amount not-to-exceed $420,000, upon review and approval by County Counsel and Risk Management, and delegating authority to approve any necessary change orders consistent with the County Purchasing Manual and Section 20142 of the Public Contract Code.
3. Approve the attached Budget Revision, transferring $180,000 from the DeWitt Demolition project account to the Demolition of Buildings 213 – 217 project account.
c. Tahoe City Public Utility District (PDF) - It is recommended that the Board take the following actions related to the Maintenance Service Agreement with the Tahoe City Public Utility District for park maintenance services in the Tahoe City area for FY 2009-2010:
1. Approve the attached Amendment No. 1 to Agreement No. 12236, between the County of Placer and the Tahoe City Public Utility District extending the term of the Agreement for a one-year period from July 1, 2009 to June 30, 2010; and
2. Approve payment for maintenance services in an amount not to exceed $67,505 for Fiscal Year 2010, which includes a COLA adjustment of 3.1% in accordance with the terms of the existing Agreement No. 12236; and
3. Authorize the Chairman to sign the Amendment.
All other terms and conditions of Agreement No. 12236 shall remain in full force and effect throughout the term of this Amendment No. 1.
24. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Adult System of Care (PDF) - Approve a contract with First Responder EMS-Sacramento, Inc., for the provision of non-emergency ambulance services throughout Placer County locations from July 1, 2009 through June 30, 2010 in an amount not to exceed $20,000, and authorize the Director of Health and Human Services to sign the contract and subsequent amendments up to 10 percent of the total amount. Funding for services includes $10,000 in State funds and $10,000 in County General Fund. These costs are included in the Department’s FY 2009-10 Proposed Budget.
b. Adult System of Care (PDF) - Resolution authorizing the Director of Health and Human Services to enter into a contract with the California Department of Community Services and Development to receive funds under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, to accept any amendments or revisions to the same, and to perform any and all responsibilities in relation to such contract. No County General Funds are associated with this requested action.
25. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Competitive Bid #9907 (PDF) , Security and Support Services/Health & Human Services - Ratify the rejection of all bid responses to Competitive Bid #9907 for Security and Support Services for Health and Human Services Programs at Sutter Roseville Medical Center.
b. Competitive Bid #9891 (PDF) , Liquid Coagulant Polymer for Wastewater Treatment/Facility Services - Award to CalChem Enterprises, in the maximum amount of $202,000.
26. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Donner Summit Road/Norden (PDF) – Resolution abandoning an unused portion of Donner Summit Road right of way on one parcel in Norden, and authorize the Chairman to execute two Quitclaim Deeds for unused portions of Donner Summit Road right-of-way on two adjacent parcels. The applicant will provide $24,200 in compensation in exchange for the property rights.
b. Squaw Valley Bus Shelter (PDF) , Construction Contract #1077 – Resolution awarding, with County Counsel’s and Risk Management’s review and approval of necessary bonds and insurance, Contract #1077 to the low bidder, Don M. Lazorko Construction, Inc., dba, DML Construction, in the amount of $42,435 for construction of the Squaw Valley Bus Shelter, authorizing the Chairman to execute the construction contract on behalf of Placer County and authorizing the Director of Public Works to approve and sign future contract amendments up to $4,244.
c. Auburn Folsom Road Widening (PDF) , Middle Phase Construction Contract #1073 – Resolution approving the project plans and specifications, authorize the Chairman to sign the cover sheet, and authorize the Department of Public Works to advertise for bids and to sign the improvement plans for the project which is estimated to cost $7,900,000.
d. Intersection Improvements (PDF) /State Route 49 & Nevada Street/Marguerite Mine Road Project Construction Contract #1066 – Resolution authorizing the Director of Public Works to ratify a construction contract change order for additional grinding and paving on Intersection Improvements at State Route 49 and Nevada Street/Marguerite Mine Road Project, in the amount of $70,960 and authorize the Director of Public Works to sign future contract change orders up to an amount of $10,000.
e. Town of Truckee Transit Service (PDF) – Authorize the Chairman to execute an Agreement to receive funding from the Town of Truckee for Tahoe Area Regional Transit (TART) bus service in an amount of $90,300.
27. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY (PDF) - Resolution authorizing a commitment of $225,000 of funding and in-kind staff time, both from North Lake Tahoe Redevelopment Tax Increment Housing funds in support of the 2009-2010 Community Development Block Grant application for housing rehabilitation in Kings Beach.
28. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approve appropriation (PDF) of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Lincoln Area Chamber of Commerce 8th Annual Lincoln Showcase, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
b. Approve appropriation (PDF) of $1,000 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Loomis Basin Chamber of Commerce 22nd Annual Loomis Eggplant Festival, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
c. Approve appropriation (PDF) of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to PARC (Protect American River Canyons) American River Confluence Festival, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
***End of Consent Agenda***
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2009 MEETING SCHEDULE:
July 20, 2009 (Tahoe)
July 21, 2009 (Tahoe)
August 4, 2009
August 13, 2009 (Budget)
August 14, 2009 (Budget)
August 25, 2009