COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, APRIL 19, 2005
Bill Santucci, District 1, Vice Chairman Jan Christofferson, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2, Chairman Robert Bendorf, Assistant County Executive
Jim Holmes, District 3 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Edward “Ted” M. Gaines, District 4 John Marin, Administrative Officer
Bruce Kranz, District 5 Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
North Tahoe Conference Center
8318 North Lake Boulevard
Kings Beach, CA 96143
FLAG SALUTE - Led by Supervisor Holmes.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – Duane Whitelaw, Fire Chief, North Tahoe Fire District, discussed difficulties in providing services due to fiscal pressures. John Louise, President, Alpine Meadows Estates Association, requested approval for snow removal equipment replacement.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – Supervisor Kranz advised Dr. Bonnicksen will be speaking on Forest Health in the Tahoe basin at Garwoods Restaurant, Tuesday, April 26, 2005 at 6:00 p.m. Supervisor Gaines said he attended the Cap-to-Cap trip lobbying for the I-80 bottleneck, Capital Corridor, and Environmental Protection Agency funding for the Blueprint for future growth.
CONSENT AGENDA – Removed Item #14d. Consent Agenda approved as amended with action as indicated. MOTION Santucci/Gaines/Unanimous
1. WARRANT REGISTER - Weeks ending March 11, 18, 25 and April 1, 2005.
2. ORDINANCES – Second reading:
b. County Executive/Redevelopment (PDF) – Ordinance 5357-B (PDF) adopted amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, Appendix 1, Allocation of Positions, adding the position of Accountant-Auditor I/II to the Redevelopment Agency.
d. Personnel/Civil Service (PDF) - Ordinance 5359-B (PDF) adopted amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, 3.12.020, and 3.12.030, relating to position allocations and salaries relating to the Probation Department.
3. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Approved contract (PDF) with Debby Cary to provide secretarial services to the Weimar/Applegate/Colfax Municipal Advisory Council.
b. Approved minutes (PDF) of March 8, 2005.
4. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY (PDF) – Rejected the following claim as recommended by County Counsel:
a. 04-111, Mauger, Sybil, Not Stated, (Personal Injury).
5. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY (PDF) - Rejected the following Application for Leave to Present a Late Claim and its claim as recommended by County Counsel:
a. 04-078, Dorcich, Lara, Not Stated, (Civil Rights).
6. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Newcastle/Ophir Municipal Advisory Council - Approved reappointment of Richard L. Johnson to Seat #2, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
b. Sheridan Municipal Advisory Council (PDF) – Accepted resignation of Brian Masunaga, Seat #2.
7. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Assembly Bill 84 (PDF) – Authorized the Chairman to sign a letter supporting Assembly Bill 94, that would create a specialized Sierra Nevada license plate, as introduced by Assembly member Tim Leslie and John Laird.
b. Community Development/Resource Agency (PDF) – Approved a budget revision to appropriate funds supporting the Community Development/Resource Agency for the remainder of FY 2004/05.
9. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/RISK MANAGEMENT (PDF) - Resolution 2005-62 (PDF) adopted appointing Maryellen Peters to the Board of Directors of the California Area Council of Governments Excess Insurance Authority and the California Transit Insurance Pool and appointed Michael J. Boyle as alternate.
10. FACILITY SERVICES/PARKS:
a. Auburn Justice Center, Phase 1/Site Preparation, Project #4674A (PDF) – Resolution 2005-63 (PDF) adopted accepting the project as complete; approved and authorized the Director of Facility Services to sign a final contract change order, in the amount of $57,590.16; and authorized the Director to execute and record the Notice of Completion.
b. Didion Ranch Trail Construction, Project 4717A/Spring 2005 (PDF) – Approved the plans and specifications and authorized staff to solicit bids.
c. Recreation Area #3 (Colfax Area) (PDF) – Approved use agreement for Park Dedication Fees, in the amount of $28,331, for rehabilitation of the track & field recreation area at Weimar Hills School.
d. Recreation Area #16 (Serene Lakes Area) (PDF) – Approved use agreement for Park Dedication Fees, in the amount of $23,951, for construction of portions of the Donner Lake Rim Trail at Donner Lake State Park.
11. FACILITY SERVICES/SPECIAL DISTRICTS:
a. Sewer Maintenance District #1 (PDF) – Resolution of Intention 2005-64 (PDF) adopted setting the time and date to hold a public hearing to consider annexing property owned by Phillip D. Hawkins, Assessor Parcel Number 076-335-005, located on Kenneth Way, in Christian Valley, into the boundaries of the district.
b. Sewer Maintenance District #1 (PDF) – Resolution 2005-65 (PDF) adopted authorizing acknowledgement of payment and release of lien regarding property owned by Greg and Kellie Costo, Assessor Parcel #054-243-009, and authorized the Director of Facility Services to release the lien.
12. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Bid #9410, Diesel Truck with Utility Body/Facility Services (PDF) - Rejected bids from S&C Motors and ER Bacon and awarded to Hedricks Chevrolet, in the amount of $56,691.67.
b. Purchase, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus/Emergency Services (PDF) - Approved purchase of breathing apparatus and other respiratory protection equipment from Mallory Fire Company, in the total amount of $67,396.01.
c. Purchase Order, Credit Card Fuel Purchases/Public Works (PDF) - Approved Change Order #1 to Blanket Purchase Order #12092, with Voyager Fleet Systems, in the amount of $50,000.
d. Request for Proposal #8940, Traffic Signal & Intersection Engineering/Public Works (PDF) - Extended qualified list for traffic signal and intersection engineers for one year.
13. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. California Tahoe Conservancy Wildlife Enhancement & Stream Environment Zone Restoration (PDF) – Resolution 2005-66 (PDF) adopted approving preparation of California Tahoe Conservancy grant application requesting up to $500,000 in funding, for the proposed Lake Forest Erosion Control Project, and authorized the Director of Public Works to execute the documents.
b. Slurry Seal/Summer 2005, Contract #73216 (PDF) – Approved the list of proposed roads and project specifications and authorized the Public Works Department to advertise for bids.
14. REVENUE SHARING:
a. Approved appropriation (PDF) of $125 in Revenue Sharing monies to Placer High School for the Placer High School Spring Musical, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
b. Approved appropriation (PDF) of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to The Roseville Chamber of Commerce for the Earl Rush Scholarship fundraiser, as requested by Supervisor Santucci and Supervisor Gaines ($250 each).
c. Approved appropriation (PDF) of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Lincoln Volunteer Center for the annual Tour de Lincoln cycling event, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt ($500).
of $1,600 in Revenue Sharing monies to The Boys and Girls Club of Auburn for
the 4th Annual “Kids' Benefit Breakfast”, supporting the youth
development programs, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt ($100), Supervisor
Holmes ($1,000) and Supervisor Gaines ($500).
a. Approved purchase (PDF) of an upgrade for the Automated Fingerprint Identification System, in an amount not-to-exceed $25,000, added to the master fixed asset list, approved a budget revision and authorized the Purchasing Manager to execute all related documents.
b. Resolution 2005-67 (PDF) adopted authorizing the Sheriff-Coroner-Marshal to execute a contract (PDF) agreement with Placer County and the State Department of Boating and Waterways for FY 2005/06, in the amount of $52,916.
*** End of Consent Agenda***
16. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT – Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Purchase Order, Compressed Natural Gas/Public Works (PDF) – Approved a blanket purchase order with PG&E, in the maximum amount of $124,000. MOTION Santucci/Holmes/Unanimous
b. Bid #9423, Septic Pumper Truck/Facility Services (PDF) – Rejected Bid #9402 and award Bid #9423 to Sacramento Truck Center, in the amount of $138,971.33.
17. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/NORTH LAKE TAHOE RESORT ASSOCIATION (PDF) – Approved allocation of Transient Occupancy Tax Funds to the North Lake Tahoe Resort Association, in the amount of $315,000, for various infrastructure improvements. MOTION Kranz/Holmes/Unanimous
18. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES (PDF) – Approved the Community Wildfire Protection Plan for the North Tahoe Fire Protection District planning area.
19. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/REDEVELOPMENT (PDF) - Resolution 2005-69 (PDF) adopted making specific findings and approving the purchase of vacant land on Salmon Avenue in Kings Beach, in the amount of $495,000, in order to develop the Salmon Avenue Public Parking Lot.
ADJOURNED AS THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND CONVENED
AS THE REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD
20. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD:
a. Salmon Avenue Public Parking Lot (PDF) - Resolution 2005-70 (PDF) adopted making specific findings, approving the purchase of vacant land on Salmon Avenue in Kings Beach, in the amount of $495,000, in order to develop the Salmon Avenue Public Parking Lot and authorized the Deputy County Executive Officer-Redevelopment Director to sign the documents.
b. Kings Beach Main Street Program (PDF) - Approved a service agreement for the Kings Beach Main Street Program between the Placer County Redevelopment Agency and the North Tahoe Business Association, in the amount of $50,000, and authorized the Deputy County Executive Officer-Redevelopment Director to execute the contract.
ADJOURNED AS THE REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD AND
RECONVENED AS THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
21. PUBLIC WORKS/LAKE TAHOE EROSION CONTROL PROJECT, CONTRACT #73092 (PDF) – Resolution 2005-71 (PDF) adopted awarding contract to the lowest qualified bidder, Burdick Excavating Co., Inc., in the amount of $2,870,283.76, and authorizing the Director of Public Works to approve future contract amendments up to $287,000. MOTION Santucci/Holmes/Unanimous
22. SHERIFF (PDF) – Approved purchase of system upgrades, in the total amount of $300,000, for the Livescan Fingerprint and Photo Imaging Systems, added the systems to the Master Fixed Asset List, approved a budget revision transferring funds within the department and authorized the Purchasing Manager to work with the Sheriff and if required, perform a competitive solicitation and sign a purchase order up to $300,000. MOTION Kranz/Holmes/Unanimous
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(1) Existing Litigation:
(a) Judi Jackson vs. County of Placer, et. al., U.S.D.C. Case No.: CIV.S 05-79FCD KJM. – The Board received a status report and took no action.
(b) Judi Spencer vs. County of Placer Animal Control, et. al., Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-11367. - The Board received a status report and took no action.
(c) Sierra Watch, a nonprofit public benefit corporation, et. al. vs. Placer County et. al., Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-16652. – Not discussed and put off for discussion on another date.
(d) Friends of the North Fork, et. al. vs. County of Placer. Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-17593. – The Board received a status direction from Counsel and gave direction to Counsel.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR – The Board met with Labor Negotiators for both DSA and PPEO issues and gave direction.
Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: DSA/PPEO
(C) §54957 - PUBLIC EMPLOYEE APPOINTMENT – The Board appointed Jim Durfee as Director of Facility Services.
Title: Director of Facility Services
24. FACILITY SERVICES/EASTERN REGIONAL MATERIALS RECOVERY FACILITY & FRANCHISE AREAS 2 & 3 (PDF) – Public hearing closed. Approved solid waste tipping fee increases at the Eastern Regional Materials Recovery Facility and collection fee increases in Franchise Areas 2 and 3 (includes all parts of Placer County, east of Colfax with the exception of Foresthill); Resolution 2005-68 (PDF) adopted approving amended contract that incorporates the recommended fee increases and made a finding pursuant to Section 21080(b)(8) of the Public Resource Code, that the higher fees are derived directly from the cost of providing service and are necessary to meeting operating expenses required for maintenance of service and are therefore, exempt from environmental review.
25. PUBLIC WORKS/TAHOE AREA REGIONAL TRANSIT SYSTEM PLAN (PDF) – Approved the five-year TART System Plan. MOTION Kranz/Gaines/Unanimous
26. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES (PDF) – Reviewed staff presentation on the progress of the Countrywide Radio Network Strategic Plan and provide further direction, as necessary.
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
27. AREA 4 AGENCY ON AGING – Audited Financial Statements for year ending June 30, 2004.
28. AUDITOR-CONTROLLER (PDF) - Auditor-Controller’s Statement of Condition of Cash in the Treasury, for the month ending March 31, 2005.
29. ROCKLIN UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT (PDF) – Notice of public hearing regarding annexation.
a. Annual market disclosure reports for the Placer Corporate Center Assessment District Bonds and the Dry Creek-West Placer CFD #2001-1, Series 2001 Special Tax Bonds.
b. Treasurer's statement for the month of March 2005.
ADJOURNMENT – Next regularly scheduled meeting is Tuesday, April 26, 2005.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2005 MEETING SCHEDULE:
April 26, 2005
May 10, 2005
May 24, 2005
June 14, 2005
June 28, 2005