COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, APRIL 26, 2005
Bill Santucci, District 1, Vice Chairman Jan Christofferson, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2, Chairman Robert Bendorf, Assistant County Executive
Jim Holmes, District 3 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Edward “Ted” M. Gaines, District 4 John Marin, Administrative Officer
Bruce Kranz, District 5 Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
FLAG SALUTE - Led by Supervisor Santucci.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – Jo Curtis, resident of Los Lagos Circle, stated she is still experiencing a problem with neighbors refusing to display their proper street address. Supervisor Gaines advised staff could look at other options. Lou Sigmond stated the Meadow Vista Municipal Advisory Council passed a resolution suggesting the Board look into the validity of the Chevreaux permit.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – Supervisor Gaines attended a leadership conference in Sun Valley, Idaho, regarding planning for managing future growth. He announced the Foster and Adoptive Parents appreciation picnic will be held, May 15, 2005, at the Meadow Vista Park, from 1:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Supervisor Santucci requested staff research what happens to children not adopted that leave the foster care system at 18 and provide information on a future agenda.
CONSENT AGENDA – Removed Item #3a. Consent Agenda approved as amended with action as indicated. MOTION Gaines/Santucci/Unanimous
a. Resolution 2005-73 (PDF) adopted authorizing the Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer (PDF) to sign State Contract #05-056 with State Department of Food and Agriculture Division of Measurement Standards, for FY 2005/06 weighmaster audits.
b. Resolution 2005-74 (PDF) adopted authorizing the Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer (PDF) to sign State Contract #05-0111 with the State Department of Food and Agriculture, Division of Measurement Standards, for FY 2005/06 petroleum product inspections.
c. Approved budget revision increasing revenue, in the amount of $20,500, to purchase equipment including one fixed asset, a truck-mounted prover skid and adding to the Master Fixed Asset List.
2. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Resolution 2005-72 (PDF) adopted commending Gloria B. Coutts (PDF), Assistant County Clerk, Clerk-Recorder-Elections Department, upon her retirement after more than 24 years of service to Placer County.
b. Resolution 2005-75 (PDF) adopted in support of the 14th Annual "America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride" (PDF) around Lake Tahoe, to be held on Sunday, June 5, 2005.
3. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
Library Advisory Board – Approved appointment of Sarah Arpe Malin to
Seat #6 (North Tahoe Area District 5), as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
b. Granite Bay Municipal Advisory Council – Accepted resignation of Richard Botkin, Seat #2 (At Large).
4. COUNTY CLERK/ELECTIONS (PDF) – Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, Appendix 1, relating to the department of the County Clerk Recorder, Elections Division.
5. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT (PDF) – Approved the creation of a scholarship fund for non-management County employees through contributions provided by County employees and private donors and directed the County Executive Officer to develop program policy and procedure.
6. DISTRICT ATTORNEY (PDF) – Resolution 2005-76 (PDF) adopted authorizing Bradford R. Fenocchio, District Attorney, to sign the Victim/Witness California Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board Joint Powers Agreement.
7. FACILITY SERVICES/PARKS (PDF) – Amended use and maintenance agreement with the Meadow Vista Trails Association, authorizing construction and maintenance of the Meadow Vista Trail Staging Area and Equestrian Arena.
c. Community Health – Opposed AB 667 (Jones) regarding child support enforcement, and authorized the Chairman to sign and send a letter of opposition to the California State Assembly Appropriations Committee and Placer County’s legislative delegation.
11. REVENUE SHARING:
a. Approved appropriation (PDF) of $200 in Revenue Sharing monies to Foresthill Divide Little League 2005 Season, for scholarships and to reduce cost of registration fees, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
b. Approved appropriation (PDF) of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to E.V. Cain Middle School Renaissance Fair, to purchase supplies for the event, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
c. Approved appropriation (PDF) of $450 in Revenue Sharing monies to Peace for Families 10th Annual Spring Luncheon, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt ($250) and Supervisor Gaines ($200).
d. Approved appropriation (PDF) of $1,600 in Revenue Sharing monies to The Boys and Girls Club of Auburn for the 4th Annual “Kids' Benefit Breakfast”, supporting the youth development programs, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt ($100), Supervisor Holmes ($1,000) and Supervisor Gaines ($500).
e. Approved appropriation (PDF) of $2,250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Tommy Apostolos Fund Dinner Dance, to purchase clothing for needy children, as requested by Supervisor Santucci ($2,000) and Supervisor Gaines ($250).
*** End of Consent Agenda***
14. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT – Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Bid #9392, Historic Record Preservation Services/Clerk Recorder (PDF) – Awarded bid to Brown's River Bindery Co., Inc., in the maximum amount of $196,770.40.
MOTION Homes/Gaines/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Kranz temporarily absent)
b. Bid #9422, Plumbing Supplies/Various Departments (PDF) – Awarded bid to Anderson's Sierra Pipe, General Plumbing Supply and Plumbmaster, in the aggregate amount of $103,500.
MOTION Santucci/Gaines/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Kranz temporarily absent)
c. Purchase Order #12369, CalWIN Printing & Mailing Services/Health & Human Services (PDF) - Approved cancellation of Blanket Purchase Order #12369 with DataProse, Inc., and approved award of contract to Document Fulfillment Services, in the maximum amount of $137,000.
MOTION Gaines/Santucci/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Kranz temporarily absent)
d. Purchase Order, Traffic Paint/Public Works (PDF) – Approved blanket purchase orders with James David Lawrence and TMT-Pathway, LLC, in the maximum aggregate amount of $115,000.
e. Purchase Order, Annual Computer Software Maintenance & Support/Countywide (PDF) – Awarded to PeopleSoft, in the amount of $128,701.74, to provide maintenance and support for the ACORN/Personnel System. MOTION Santucci/Gaines/Unanimous
f. Purchase Order, NEC Telephones & Parts/Telecommunications (PDF) – Renewed blanket purchase order with Nexus IS, for an as-needed purchase, in an amount not to exceed $120,000.
g. Request for Proposal #9397, Abused Drug Testing Reagents/Public Health Lab (PDF) – Awarded to Dade Behring, in the maximum amount of $325,000. MOTION Kranz/Holmes/Unanimous
15. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/DISTRICT ATTORNEY (PDF) – Approved an agreement for the purchase of a District Attorney Case Management system from Constellation Justice Systems, Inc., approved the lease of hardware and related software and services; and authorized the Purchasing Manager to execute the related contractual documents for a total cost of $379,500 and a contingency of $35,000.
17. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/WORKFORCE HOUSING (PDF) – Resolution 2005-83 (PDF) adopted supporting modification of the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency Code of Ordinances to facilitate affordable housing construction in the North Lake Tahoe area and authorized the Chairman to sign a letter in support of this effort. MOTION Kranz/Holmes/Unanimous
a. Administrative Services (PDF) - Approved a three year agreement with the State of California, Department of Health Services, in the amount of $1,950,000 ($650,000 per annum), for Medi-Cal administrative activities, performed in FY 04/05, 05/06 and 06/07, and authorized the Chairman to sign the agreement, the Certification of Non-Federal Matching Funds and the certification regarding lobbying. MOTION Santucci/Gaines/Unanimous
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(1) Existing Litigation:
(a) Laurence Fletcher vs. County of Placer, Placer County Superior Court (Tahoe) Case No.: TCV877 – The Board received a status report and gave direction to the County Counsel.
(b) Claude G. Davis vs. County of Placer, Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV16985 – There was no discussion of the matter.
(c) Sierra Watch, a nonprofit public benefit corporation, et. al. vs. Placer County et. al. Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-16652 – The Board received a status report and gave direction to Counsel.
(d) Michael Baldwin et. al. vs Placer County, U.S.D.C. Case No.: CIV S-01-1177 MCE GGH – The Board received a status report on the resent 9th Circuit decision.
(e) Pacific Gas and Electric Company vs. State Board of Equalization, et. al (PDF)., Fresno Co Superior Court Case No: 05-CE-CG-00003-MWS – The Board received a status report and gave direction to Counsel
(2) Anticipated Litigation:
(a) Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to subdivision (b) of Government Code §54956.9: one potential case The Board received a report about a purported class action matter filed in Los Angeles naming all 58 counties.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR – No discussion with the Board.
Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: DSA/PPEO
23. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS (PDF) – Presentation of Resolution 2005-72 (PDF) commending Gloria Coutts, Assistant County Clerk, Clerk-Recorder-Elections Department, upon her retirement after more than 24 years of service to Placer County.
24. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS (PDF) – Presentation of a proclamation commending the Lincoln High School Academic Decathlon team for their achievement during the 2005 Placer County and State Academic Decathlon Competitions.
25. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS (PDF) - PowerPoint presentation by Jonelle Norton, Chief Executive Officer for the Placer Valley Tourism Business Improvement District, highlighting first year achievements, the vision of this new tourism destination, and statistics of tourism increases in our area.
26. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS (PDF) - Presentation of a commendation recognizing Shirley Patocka for her dedication to community service and being instrumental in the creation and development of the Griffith Quarry Museum.
27. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS (PDF) – Presentation of a commendation recognizing Marie Huson for her dedication to community service and preserving the historical attributes of Placer County since her appointment in 1983 to the Historical Advisory Board.
28. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS (PDF) – Presentation of a commendation recognizing Eli Demas for 39 years of dedicated service as a Placer County Parks Commissioner.
29. COUNTY SERVICES AREA #28, ZONE 178/MONTE VERDE ESTATES, PHASE II, TRACT #924:
a. Facility Services (PDF) – Public hearing closed to consider all protests and tabulate ballots. Resolution 2005-81 (PDF) adopted setting charges to provide road rehabilitation, storm drainage maintenance, emergency accesses, fuel reduction and fire break maintenance and street lighting services. MOTION Gaines/Kranz/Unanimous
b. Public Works (PDF) – Approved the Final Map, Subdivision Improvement Agreement and authorized the recording. MOTION Santucci/Gaines/Unanimous
30. PUBLIC WORKS/CERRO VISTA PERMANENT ROAD DIVISION #6 (PDF) – Public hearing closed to receive and consider a Petition by Landowners for the formation of a Permanent Road Division (PRD); received and considered the Affidavit of Valuations for the PRD; Resolution 2005-84 (PDF) adopted to form the PRD and to order an election be held in accordance with Government Code, Section 1173, to determine if assessments to provide services within the PRD will be levied and to empower the Director of Public Works to appoint judges to conduct the election; instruct the Clerk of the Board to prepare the resolution for recording and to prepare a legal notice of the Special Tax Election.
31. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS (PDF) – Presentation by Dr. Thomas Bonnicksen on forest health in the Lake Tahoe Basin.
ADJOURNMENT – Next regularly scheduled meeting is Tuesday, May 10, 2005.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2005 MEETING SCHEDULE:
May 10, 2005
May 24, 2005
June 14, 2005
June 28, 2005
July 12, 2005
July 25, 2005 (Tahoe)
July 26, 2005 (Tahoe)
AGENDA AVAILABLE VIA FAX (530) 889-6800
OR FROM PLACER COUNTY’S WEBSITE www.placer.ca.gov