COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, MAY 12, 2009
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm, District 1, Chairman Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3 Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4, Vice Chairman Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Jennifer Montgomery, District 5 Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Board after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection at the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors Office, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, during normal business hours. Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Supervisor Weygandt.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Persons may address the Board on items not on this agenda. Please limit comments to 3 minutes per person since the time allocated for Public Comment is 15 minutes. If all comments cannot be heard within the 15-minute time limit, the Public Comment period will be taken up at the end of the regular session. The Board is not permitted to take any action on items addressed under Public Comment.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS:
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 4- 9) - All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 14 thru 30) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion.
TIMED ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE TIME SHOWN
1. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY (PDF) /PLANNING/Placer County Housing Element Update - The Planning Department is requesting the Board adopt the Negative Declaration prepared for the project and adopt a resolution amending Section 2, Housing, of the Placer County General Plan to approve the 2008 Placer County Housing Element Update.
2. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS (PDF) – Adoption of a Resolution establishing the Placer County Youth Commission.
3. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY (PDF) /PLANNING/Riolo Vineyard Specific Plan (PSPA T20050186), Development Standards and Design Guidelines, Amendments to the Placer County General Plan, Amendments to the Dry Creek/West Placer Community Plan, Rezoning, Development Agreement, Final Environmental Impact Report (SCH# 2005092041) - The Board is being asked to take final action on the Riolo Vineyard Specific Plan project with the following actions:
· Certify the project’s environmental document;
· Approve amendments to the Placer County General Plan;
· Approve amendments to the Dry Creek / West Placer Community Plan;
· Approve the Riolo Vineyard Specific Plan;
· Approve the Riolo Vineyard Development Standards;
· Approve the Riolo Vineyard Design Guidelines;
· Approve Rezoning of the a portion of the project area to Specific Plan (SPL-RVSP);
· Approve the Project Development Agreement;
· Approve the Large-Lot Vesting Tentative Subdivision Map; and
· Approve the Small-Lot Vesting Tentative Subdivision Map.
In association with these actions, the Board will also take final action to accept the Public Facilities Financing Plan and the Urban Services Plan that have been prepared for the project.
Description of The Lands of Bryte Gardens (PDF)
Recommend Conditions of Approval (PDF)
4. PUBLIC WORKS (PDF) /COUNTY SERVICE AREA 28/ZONE OF BENEFIT 132 (STERLING POINTE SUBDIVISION) – Conduct a Public Hearing, consider all protests, tabulate ballots, and adopt a Resolution increasing the annual assessment in Zone of Benefit #132 to provide road rehabilitation and storm drain maintenance services for Lake Forest Drive and Sterling Point Court within the Sterling Pointe Subdivision.
(Staff recommends this item be continued to May 26, 2009 at 10:30 a.m.)
5. PUBLIC WORKS (PDF) /STERLING POINTE ESTATES PERMANENT ROAD DIVISION (PRD #8) – Conduct a Public Hearing to approve formation of the Sterling Pointe Estates Permanent Road Division PRD #8; receive and consider the Petition by Landowners for Formation of Permanent Road Division #8-Sterling Pointe Estates (Exhibit A); receive and consider the Affidavit of Valuations for the Sterling Pointe Estates PRD #8 (Exhibit B); and approve and authorize the Chairman to sign a Resolution to form the Sterling Pointe Estates Permanent Road Division, (PRD #8), to order an election be held in accordance with Government Code Section 1173 to determine if assessments to provide services within PRD #8-Sterling Pointe Estates will be levied and to empower the Director of Public Works to appoint judges to conduct the election.
(Staff recommends this item be continued to May 26, 2009 at 10:35 a.m.)
6. PUBLIC WORKS (PDF) /PLACER COUNTY TRANSIT – Conduct a Public Hearing and adopt a Resolution modifying the fare structure through an increase of $0.25 in the cash fare for Placer County Transit fixed route, $.50 in the cash fare for dial-a-ride, substitution of free transfers with a 24-hour unlimited ride pass, and a 5% increase to Placer Commuter Express fares.
7. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS (PDF) /COUNTY EXECUTIVE/HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES – Receive an update on Influenza H1N1, commonly referred to as “Swine Flu” and the status of preparations and other activities in Placer County.
8. FACILITY SERVICES (PDF) /SEWER & WATER MAINTENANCE & OPERATIONS FEE INCREASES – The Board is requested to take the following action:
a. Conduct a Public Hearing to receive comments concerning the proposed increases in sewer and water maintenance and operations (M&O) fees as shown in Exhibit A.
b. Adopt an Ordinance adjusting M&O fees enumerated in Section 13.12.350 of the Placer County Code.
c. Adopt a Resolution confirming the County Service Area (CSA) Zone Report of charges for the Sheridan, Blue Canyon and Applegate CSAs; and
Make a finding pursuant to Section 21080(b)(8) of the Public Resource Code, that the higher fees are derived directly from the cost of providing service and are necessary to meet operating expenses required for maintenance of service, and are therefore exempt from environmental review.
DEPARTMENT ITEMS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ACTION AS TIME ALLOWS
9. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT – Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Blanket Purchase Orders (PDF) , Facility Services & Sheriff - Approve the renewal of two Blanket Purchase Orders with J.C. Nelson and two Blanket Purchase Orders with Unisource as the result of Competitive Bid #9536 for Janitorial Supplies, in the maximum aggregate amount of $286,000 and authorize an increase of $4,001 to the Sheriff’s Blanket Purchase Order #15659 with Unisource.
10. AUDITOR-CONTROLLER (PDF)/REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL #9881, County and Single Audit ServiCES - Award to Macias, Gini & O’Connell, CPAs, of Sacramento, CA, authorize staff to negotiate and enter into a contract in an amount not to exceed $543,317 for three years with a two year option to extend, and authorize the Auditor-Controller to sign the resulting contract.
11. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES (PDF) /ADULT SYSTEM OF CARE - Approve a contract employee agreement for the provision of psychiatric services with Richard A. Malek, M.D., from May 15, 2009 through May 14, 2010 for a total compensation package not to exceed $304,993 including direct compensation of $257,893 and mandatory payroll costs of $47,100, and authorize the Chairman to sign any subsequent amendments. The General Fund contribution for this contract is $91,498. These costs are included in the Department’s 2008/09 Final and 2009/10 Proposed Budgets.
12. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Bridge Replacement Project/Haines Road at Wise Canal (PDF) – Adopt a Resolution awarding a contract to CH2M HILL, Inc. for Professional Services for the Bridge Replacement Project on Haines Road at the Wise Canal and authorize the Director of Public Works to negotiate and execute a professional services contract, with County Counsel and Risk Management review and approval, for an amount not to exceed $400,000.
b. Auburn Folsom Widening Project (PDF) /Traffic Impact Fee Program Funding – Adopt a Resolution authorizing transfer of up to $4,500,000 in current Countywide Impact Fee fund balance to augment existing Granite Bay Fee District Funds and be used to match Federal American Reinvestment and Recovery Act (ARRA) funding on the middle phase of the Auburn-Folsom Road Widening Project estimated to cost $8,800,000.
c. Sierra College Boulevard & Douglas Boulevard Improvements (PDF) – Adopt a Resolution authorizing the Director of Public Works to sign an agreement with the City of Roseville for cost sharing of improvements at the intersection of Sierra College Boulevard and Douglas Boulevard, subject to County Counsel approval in equal shares for a maximum of $250,000 County share.
13. COUNTY COUNSEL/ADJOURN TO CLOSED SESSION (PDF):
Pursuant to the cited authority (all references are to the Government Code), the Board of Supervisors will hold a closed session to discuss the following listed items. A report of any action taken will be presented prior to adjournment.
(A) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATORS
Agency designated representatives: Tom Miller, Nancy Nittler, Mike Boyle, Gerald O. Carden, Anthony J. La Bouff
Employee organization: PPEO. DSA.
CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 4-9) - All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 14 thru 30) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion.
14. ORDINANCE – Second Reading:
a. Ordinance amending (PDF) uncodified Ordinance 5442-B, relating to salaries and compensation of General and Professional Bargaining Units represented by the Placer Public Employees Organization (PPEO).
b. Ordinance amending (PDF) uncodified Ordinance 5443-B, relating to salaries and compensation of Management and Confidential employees.
15. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Approve a Proclamation (PDF) declaring the week of May 17-23, 2009 as National Public Works Week.
b. Approve a Proclamation (PDF) declaring May 1, 2009 as “Silver Star Banner Day” in Placer County to honor the wounded and ill Soldiers of our nation.
c. Approve minutes of April 7, 2009 (PDF).
16. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY (PDF) – Reject the following claims, as recommended by Counsel:
a. 09-024, Brown, Jason, Not Stated, (Personal Injury).
b. 09-033, Stanfield, Micah, $1,500, (Property Loss).
c. 09-039, Kitchen, Thomas, $1,895.33, (Property Damage/Personal Injury).
17. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY - Reject the following Application to File Late Claim as recommended by Counsel.
a. 09-023, Strickland, Matthew, Not Stated, (Personal Injury).
18. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. CSA 28, Zone 27 Advisory Committee (PDF) (Ambulance and Emergency Medical Services) – Approve the appointment of Luana Dowling to Seat 3, as requested by Supervisor Montgomery.
b. Fish and Game Commission (PDF) – Approve the appointment of Ron Salter to Seat 7, as requested by Supervisor Montgomery.
c. Mental Health, Alcohol, and Drug Advisory Board (PDF) - Approve appointment of Sharon Behrens, as a Family Member for District 2, Seat 5, as recommended by the Mental Health, Alcohol, and Drug Advisory Board.
d. Older Adult Advisory Commission (PDF) – Approve appointment of Mary Helen Ivers, to Seat 8, representing the public-at-large.
19. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING:
a. Section 6 HCP Grant and Sign Grant Award Contract (PDF) - Resolution authorizing the Purchasing Manager to accept a Habitat Conservation Planning (HCP) Grant from the State Department of Fish and Game (DFG), and authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign a $193,000 grant award contract with DFG releasing 2006 HCP grant funds ($160,312 from the State of California; $64,398 from the County of Placer).
b. Placer County Conservation Plan (PDF) - Approve an amendment to the ICF Jones & Stokes (formerly known as Jones & Stokes Associates) contract in the amount of $160,992 for a total contract of $665,857 for the preparation of the Placer County Conservation Plan Environmental Impact Statement/Environmental Impact Report and authorize the County Executive Officer to sign the contract amendment.
c. California Habitat Conservation Planning Coalition (PDF) - Resolution supporting the goals and objectives of the California Habitat Conservation Planning Coalition (CHCPC).
20. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Resolution approving the Placer County Identity Theft Prevention Program (PDF) in accordance with the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003.
b. Approve a 5% merit increase (PDF) for James F. Boggan, Purchasing Manager from Grade 434 Step 2 to Grade 434 Step 3 at $40.83 per hour, effective/retroactive to May 9, 2009.
21. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES (PDF) /SOUTH PLACER FIRE PROTECTION DISTRICT - Ratify South Placer Fire Protection District Ordinance 2-2008/2009 adopting South Placer Fire Protection District Fire Code Amendments, and direct staff to transmit Board determination.
22. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Blanket Purchase Order #15533 (PDF) - Approve Change Order #2 to Blanket Purchase Order #15533 with CalChem for purchase of chemicals used at the County’s wastewater treatment plants, to extend the expiration date to June 30, 2009 and increase the maximum amount by $70,000 for a revised maximum amount of $219,464, and authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting change order.
b. Granite Bay Parks (PDF) , Trails and Open Space Assessment District/FY 2009-2010 - Resolution of Intention to levy assessments for FY 2009-2010, approving the preliminary Engineer’s Report and setting the time, date and location for a public hearing for the Granite Bay Parks, Trails and Open Space Assessment District.
c. Dry Creek Fire Station Apparatus Bay Addition, Project #4817 (PDF) - Approve a Consultant Services Agreement with Madsen, Flathmann, Dameron & Babcock Architects, Inc. (MFDB) to provide architectural and engineering services for the project, located on Cook Riolo Road in Roseville and authorize the Chairman to execute an agreement in an amount not-to-exceed $111,000.
d. Building 117 Clinic Renovations, Project #9435 (PDF) - Approve Amendment #1 to the agreement with Lionakis Beaumont Design Group, Inc. (LBDG), to provide architectural and engineering services for the project and authorize the Chairman to execute the amendment, increasing the contract by $94,274 for a total contract cost not-to-exceed $159,574.
23. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES (PDF) /ADULT SYSTEM OF CARE - Approve the Older Adult Advisory Commission 2008 Annual Report, as requested by the Older Adult Advisory Commission (OAAC).
24. PERSONNEL/CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION (PDF) - Introduction of an ordinance relating to position allocation and classification change approved by the Civil Service Commission affecting the Department of Facility Services.
25. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Blanket Purchase Order #15754 (PDF) , Jail’s Kitchen Equipment Preventative Maintenance and Repair Services/Probation - Renew Blanket Purchase Order as a Result of Competitive Bid #9509 with Joseph Silvia, doing business as Roseville Equipment Service, in the maximum amount of $70,000.
b. Blanket Purchase Order #15834 (PDF) , Electrical Parts and Supplies/Facility Services - Renew competitively awarded Blanket Purchase Order with Summers Group, Inc., doing business as, Rexel Pacific, in the maximum amount of $75,000.
c. Surplus Vehicles & Miscellaneous Equipment/County Wide (PDF) - Declare Vehicles and Miscellaneous Equipment as Surplus and authorize disposal by Public Sale.
26. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. 2009 Clean Air Grant (PDF) , Tahoe City Transit Center – Resolution authorizing the Director of Public Works to execute a grant agreement with the Placer County Air Pollution Control District to receive a Clean Air Grant in the amount of $210,000 for the Tahoe City Transit Center.
b. Abandonment/Offer of Dedication/Road Easement (PDF) – Resolution abandoning an Irrevocable Offer of Dedication for a Road Easement on Parcel Map P-75679, in the Roseville area.
c. Lake Forest Erosion Control Project, Area A (Dollar Point) (PDF) – Resolution authorizing the Chairman to sign Professional Services Agreement #73243, amendment #3, with Camp Dresser & McKee, Inc., in the amount of $9,001 for a total revised maximum amount of $554,565.
d. Auburn Folsom Road Bikeway Project, Phase I (PDF) – Resolution approving the project plans and specifications, authorizing the Chairman to sign the cover sheet, and authorize the Department of Public Works to advertise for bids to construct the project.
e. Blanket Purchase Order #15501 (PDF) – Approve Change Order #2 to Blanket Purchase Order #15501 with Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) for Natural Gas from the PG&E line for compression as motor fuel and authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting Change Order increasing the maximum amount by $15,000 for a revised maximum amount of $180,000.
f. Blanket Purchase Order #15552 (PDF) – Approve Change Order #2 to Blanket Purchase Order #15552 with Pape Machinery for John Deere tractor and bus engine parts and authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting Change Order increasing the maximum amount by $6,000 for a revised maximum amount of $55,750.
g. Dowd Road/Yankee Slough Bridge Replacement Project (PDF) /Negative Declaration State Clearinghouse #2009032002 – Resolution approving the Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration (IS/MND) with the required findings and mitigation and monitoring plan for the project.
h. Fleet Services/Fixed Assets (PDF) – Approve a Budget Revision to the Public Works Fleet Services Fixed Asset List for the 2008/09 Fiscal Year; amend the Master Fixed Asset List by deleting two 2-post automotive lifts and adding one 4-post heavy equipment lift; and, authorize the Purchasing Manager to issue a Purchase Order to Mohawk Industries for the purchase of one 4-post heavy equipment lift.
i. Local Transportation Bicycle/Pedestrian Fund Claim (PDF) – Resolution authorizing the Chairman to sign and execute the 2008/09 Local Transportation Bicycle/Pedestrian Fund Claim to Placer County Transportation Planning Agency for Placer County Department of Public Works in the amount of $300,807 for the Placer Hills Road Shoulder Widening/Bike Lane Project.
j. Radar Speed Feedback Sign, Pole and Foundation (PDF) – Resolution approving project plans and specifications; and authorize the Department of Public Works to advertise for bids to purchase and install one Solar Powered Radar Speed Feedback Sign, Metal Pole, and Foundation; approve a Budget Revision in the amount of $15,000 for the purchase of one Solar Powered Radar Speed Feedback Sign, Metal Pole, and Foundation; and approve the addition of same to the Master Fixed Asset List.
k. Tahoe City Transit Center, USFS Special Use Permit (PDF) – Resolution authorizing the Director of Public Works to execute the United States Forest Service Special Use Permit for operation and maintenance of the Tahoe City Transit Center.
27. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approve appropriation (PDF) of $100 in Revenue Sharing monies to the 10th Annual Auburn Family Night Out Event to benefit the Auburn Area Recreation District Youth Assistance Fund, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
b. Approve appropriation (PDF) of $300 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Auburn Host Lions Club to support programs for the blind and visually impaired and Lions International sight campaigns, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
c. Approve appropriation (PDF) of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Lincoln Volunteer Center Tour de Lincoln Fundraising Event to help support community projects in Lincoln, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
d. Approve appropriation (PDF) of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Sportsmen’s Legacy Foundation to provide scholarships to students who pursue full-time college studies in wildlife biology or conservation, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($250) and Supervisor Weygandt ($250).
e. Approve appropriation (PDF) of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Wounded Warriors Organization to assist military families through difficult times due to deployment, injuries or death, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
f. Approve a total appropriation (PDF) of $9,530 in District 5 Revenue Sharing Funds (Benefit Grant Funds) to the following list of nonprofit organizations and events recommended by the Citizens District 5 Benefit Fund Committee: North Tahoe Business Association Kings Beach Clean-up Day ($1,000), Tahoe Truckee Scholarship Committee ($1,000), Sierra Avalanche Center ($530), Donner Summit Area Association Donner Summit Clean-up Day ($950), Foresthill High School Safe and Sober Grad Night Committee ($500), Sierra Education Endowment After School Programs ($800), Rubicon Trail Foundation Information Kiosk ($250), Colfax High School Safe and Sober Grad Night ($1,000), Placer Nature Center Scholarships ($500), Placer Nature Center Tree Restoration ($500), Save Auburn Ravine Salmon and Steelhead Feasibility Study ($500), Friends of Auburn/Tahoe Vista Placer County Animal Shelters ($1,000) and Seniors First Meals on Wheels ($1,000).
a. Approve addendums (PDF) to the annual contracts for the FY 2008 and FY 2009 operating plans between the Sheriff’s Department and the U.S. Forest Service. Modification 002 to the FY 2008 Financial and Operating Plan for Cooperative Patrol is for an increase of $208,027.55 to reflect the overtime reimbursement to the Sheriff’s Department for the ARC Fire. Modification 005 to the FY 2009 Financial and Operating Plan for Controlled Substances is to increase the plan from $10,000 to $20,000, for a total FY 2009 Forest Service agreement of $42,000; and authorize the Sheriff-Coroner-Marshal to execute the agreements and for the Budget Revision to reflect the increase revenues and expenditures anticipated.
b. Approve a budget revision (PDF) to capitalize two vehicles acquired through lease purchase in the amount not-to-exceed $60,000. One vehicle is for the Sheriff and one for the Inmate Welfare Fund (IWF). The Master Fixed Asset List and the offsetting revenue need to be updated to capitalize and order the two leased vehicles that need to be replaced for a net increase of one vehicle. Lease payments are included in the Sheriff’s Department Budget. There is no additional impact to the General Fund.
c. Approve a budget revision (PDF) in the amount of $9,100 to increase the Equipment Account for the purchase of in-car cameras from the Department of Homeland Security Grant Program for the Sheriff’s Department, and approve the increase of the cameras on the Master Fixed Asset List from $46,575 to $55,875.
29. TREASURER-TAX COLLECTOR (PDF) - Authorize the Chairman to sign an acknowledgement, on behalf of the Board of Supervisors, that the Board will not take action to authorize Sierra Joint Community College District 2009 Tax and Revenue Anticipation Notes.
30. VETERANS (PDF) – Adopt a Memorial Day Resolution to recognize and honor residents of Placer County who died defending America.
***End of Consent Agenda***
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
31. TREASURER-TAX COLLECTOR (PDF) - Annual market disclosure report for the Dry Creek-West Placer CFD #2001-1 Series 2001 Special Tax Bonds, annual market disclosure report for the Placer Corporate Center Assessment District Bonds, and the material event disclosure report for the Placer Corporate Center Assessment District Bonds.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2009 MEETING SCHEDULE:
May 26, 2009
June 9, 2009
June 23, 2009
July 7, 2009
July 20, 2009 (Tahoe)
July 21, 2009 (Tahoe)