COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, JANUARY 10, 2006
Bill Santucci, District 1, Chairman Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2, Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3 Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Edward “Ted” M. Gaines, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Vice Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Supervisor Holmes.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS/REORGANIZATION OF THE BOARD:
a. Approved Bill Santucci as Chairman for 2006. MOTION Holmes/Gaines/Unanimous
b. Approved Bruce Kranz as Vice Chairman for 2006. MOTION Holmes/Gaines/Unanimous
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Rosemary Frieborn, Placer County Animal Shelter, spoke about the need for a new animal shelter in Auburn. Sheriff Bonner and Randy Padilla, Deputy Sheriff's Association, requested the Board's support in placing a ballot initiative repealing Proposition F on the June ballot. Michael Murphy, Libertarian Party, discussed the Board having a more detailed website. Joanne Marie Weaver talked about the need for more homeless shelters. Dianne Mazzi asked the Board to be the Personal Representative of her will.
CONSENT AGENDA: Item 13b was moved for discussion. Items 9a and b, 10, and 18a and b were moved for discussion, as requested by Michael Murphy, Libertarian Party. The Board convened as the Redevelopment Agency Board for Items 10 and 11. MOTION Weygandt/Holmes/Unanimous
1. ORDINANCES – Second reading:
a. County Executive - Ordinance 5392-B adopted amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, Appendix 1, Allocation of Positions, relating to the Administrative Services Department and the Sheriff Department.
2. WARRANT REGISTERS – Weeks ending November 11, 18, 25 and December 2, 9, 16, 23, 31, 2005.
3. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS - Resolution 2006-01 adopted commending Tim Hackworth, Public Works Director, upon his retirement after more than 13 years of service.
4. CHILD SUPPORT SERVICES – Resolution 2006-02 adopted approving contract with the State Department of Justice, from January 1, 2006 to June 30, 2006, in an amount not to exceed $75,000, for prosecutorial services.
5. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following claim, as recommended by County Counsel.
a. 05-140, Cochran, Diane $185.88 (Property Damage).
6. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. County Service Area #28, Zone #165, Dry Creek Area Fire Service Community Advisory Committee – Approved reappointment of Manuel Carreras to Seat 1, Diane Howe to Seat 3, Billy Norman to Seat 4 and Susan Wright to Seat 7.
b. Mental Health Alcohol & Drug Advisory Board – Approved appointment of Fay Coble to Seat 15 (Public Interest District 3), as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
c. North Auburn Municipal Advisory Council – Approved reappointment of Georgia Emslie to Seat 1 (Property Owners), Laurence Farinha to Seat 2 (Property Owners), Chuck Rydell to Seat 5 (Property Owners) and Todd Lindstrom to Seat 7 (Business Owners), as requested by Supervisor Holmes and Supervisor Kranz.
d. Older Adult Advisory Commission – Approved appointment of Helen Tierney-Bale to Seat 8 (Public at Large) and Jean Rios to Seat 14 (American Association of Retired Persons), to serve a three-year term.
e. Penryn Municipal Advisory Council – Approved reappointment of Mike Bishop to Seat 2, Michael Sasko to Seat 3 and Sandra Elder to Seat 5, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
f. Placer County Planning Commission – Approved reappointment of Gerald Brentnall, Jr., to Seat 7 (At Large West Sierra Crest).
g. West Placer Citizens Municipal Advisory Council – Approved reappointment of Claudette Mitchel-Weismantel to Seat 1, Barry Stillman to Seat 2 and George Brown to Seat 3, as requested by Supervisor Santucci.
7. COUNTY EXECU TIVE:
a. Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.030, Schedule of Classifications and Salary Ranges for Unclassified Service, affecting classification of Assessor and Assistant Assessor.
b. Approved a merit increase for Rae James, Redevelopment Agency Program Manager, from Step 1 to Step 2, retroactive to December 24, 2005.
c. Approved a merit increase for Kristen Spears, Assistant Assessor, from Step 2 to Step 3, effective January 21, 2006.
d. Approved a merit increase for Dave Seward, Purchasing Manager, from Step 4 to Step 5, effective January 21, 2006.
e. Placer County Fair – Approved the 2006 Operating Budget.
8. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES – Resolution 2006-03 adopted approving the Placer Consolidated Fire Protection District FY 2005/06 Capital Facilities Plan, containing a 6.49% fee increase.
9. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/REDEVELOPMENT:
a. MOVED FOR DISCUSSION - HOME Investment Partnership Application/2005 - Resolution authorizing the submission of an application, in the amount of $800,000, and authorize the Chief Assistant County Executive Officer, or designee, to execute the documents.
b. MOVED FOR DISCUSSION/Resolution of Findings – Adopt resolution related to submission of a loan application for financing of public infrastructure improvements within the North Auburn Redevelopment area.
10. MOVED FOR DISCUSSION/REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD - Resolution authorizing the submission of a $1,500,000 loan application to the California Infrastructure and Economic Development Bank to construct public improvements in the North Auburn Redevelopment area and authorize the Redevelopment Director to sign the documents; resolution declaring the official intent of the Redevelopment Agency to reimburse certain expenditures from proceeds of obligation.
11. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD/PROCUREMENT – Awarded Request for Proposal #9489, Market Demand Land Use Study to Economic & Planning Systems, in the maximum amount of $97,000, for Kings Beach and Tahoe City and authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign.
12. DISTRICT ATTORNEY – Approved a budget revision, in the amount of $37,515, canceling Public Safety Fund Insurance Fraud Prosecution reserves and increasing expenditure appropriations to include the operating costs for one new and two replacement lease vehicles in the department's budget.
13. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Agreement – Approved a six-year agreement with the Auburn Downtown Business Association for the operation of a gift shop/visitor center at the Historic Courthouse in Auburn, and authorized the Facility Services Director to sign after review and approval by County Counsel.
b. MOVED FOR DISCUSSION - Granite Bay Community Park, Project #4933 – Resolution accepting the project as complete, authorizing the Facility Services Director to execute and record the Notice of Completion; ratify Contract Change Order #20, in the amount of $68,580.03 and authorize the Facility Services Director to execute the change order.
c. Historic Courthouse Fire Alarm System, Project #4754 – Accepted a progress report and approved continuation of the project.
d. Main Jail Suicide Prevention Bars, Project #4748 – Ratified Contract Change Order #1 to Contract #KN020610 with ABI Contractors, in the amount of $31,890, for additional work required for the project and authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign.
e. Purchase of DataGator Flow Meters – Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign purchase orders, totaling an amount not to exceed $145,000, for sixteen flow meters from Renaissance Instruments, as a sole source procurement.
f. Residential Lease Agreement – Approved an agreement with Patricia A. Nylander for occupancy of the residence located on the Traylor Ranch Park property, 5050 English Colony Way, Penryn.
g. Sewer Maintenance District #1 – Resolution of Intention 2006-09 adopted setting a time and date to hold a public hearing to consider the annexation of property owned by Glenn Templeton, APN 076-271-009, into the district. Subject property is located on Stanley Drive, Christian Valley.
h. Sewer Maintenance District #3 (SMD #3) – Approved Amendment #1 to Agreement #12028 with Raines, Melton & Carella, Inc., increasing compensation by $77,490, for a total cost not-to-exceed $187,670, to provide engineering services for the development of a feasibility study associated with wastewater treatment for SMD #3, and authorized the Facility Services Director to execute upon review and approval by County Counsel.
14. PERSONNEL/CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION – Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending Chapter 3, affecting classification, compensation and allocation of positions in the Assessor and Auditor/Controller departments.
15. PLANNING/TAHOE CITY TRANSIT CENTER FINDINGS – Item continued to January 24, 2006.
16. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Bid #9510, Outside Plant Cabling/Facility Services – Awarded bid to Semans Communications, Inc., in the amount of $74,958.28, for the Community Development Resource Center.
b. Four (4) Lists of Qualified Consultants, Sanitary Landfill Projects – Adopted four lists of qualified consultants to provide consulting services on an as-needed basis for a three-year period, as the result of Request for Qualifications #9490, and canceled the existing list of consultants which resulted from Request for Qualifications #8931.
c. Purchase, Content Management System/Administrative Services – Approved purchase with P5 Solutions, in the amount of $96,684, for software, implementation services and support.
d. Surplus Vehicles & Equipment/Public Works/Sheriff – Declared vehicles and miscellaneous equipment as surplus and authorized their sale.
17. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Abandonment of Drainage Easement – Resolution 2006-10 adopted abandoning a portion of a drainage easement on Lot 223, Lahontan, Unit #6, in the Tahoe area.
b. Brook Avenue Public Parking Facility, Contract #73211 (Kings Beach) – Resolution 2006-11 adopted authorizing the Public Works Director to execute the Notice of Completion for the project.
18. REVENUE SHARING:
a. MOVED FOR DISCUSSION - Approve appropriation of $150 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Lincoln High School 2nd Annual Lincoln Health & Wellness Fair, as requested by Chairman Weygandt.
b. MOVED FOR DISCUSSION - Approve appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Granite Bay Kiwanis Club Holiday Care Package Program, as requested by Supervisor Gaines.
*** End of Consent Agenda***
The following items were moved for discussion:
9. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/REDEVELOPMENT:
a. HOME Investment Partnership Application/2005 - Resolution 2006-04 adopted authorizing the submission of an application, in the amount of $800,000, and authorizing the Chief Assistant County Executive Officer, or designee, to execute the documents.
b. Resolution of Findings – Resolution 2006-05 adopted related to submission of a loan application for financing of public infrastructure improvements within the North Auburn Redevelopment area.
10. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD - Resolution 2006-06 adopted authorizing the submission of a $1,500,000 loan application to the California Infrastructure and Economic Development Bank to construct public improvements in the North Auburn Redevelopment area and authorized the Redevelopment Director to sign the documents; Resolution 2006-07 adopted declaring the official intent of the Redevelopment Agency to reimburse certain expenditures from proceeds of obligation.
13. FACILITY SERVICES:
b. Granite Bay Community Park, Project #4933 – Resolution 2006-08 adopted accepting the project as complete, authorized the Facility Services Director to execute and record the Notice of Completion; ratified Contract Change Order #20, in the amount of $68,580.03 and authorized the Facility Services Director to execute the change order. MOTION Gaines/Holmes/Unanimous
18. REVENUE SHARING:
a. Approved appropriation of $150 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Lincoln High School 2nd Annual Lincoln Health & Wellness Fair, as requested by Chairman Weygandt.
MOTION Holmes/Weygandt VOTE 4:1 (Kranz No)
b. Approved appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Granite Bay Kiwanis Club Holiday Care Package Program, as requested by Supervisor Gaines.
MOTION Holmes/Weygandt VOTE 4:1 (Kranz No)
DEPARTMENT ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED BEFORE NOON, AS TIME ALLOWS
19. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT – Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Bid #9268, Library Materials/Library – Renewed bid with Ingram Library Services, Inc., in the maximum blanket purchase order amount of $480,000, on an as needed basis.
MOTION Kranz/Holmes/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Gaines temporarily absent)
b. Purchase Orders, Local Equipment Rentals/Facility Services/Public Works – Renewed blanket purchase orders with Placer Equipment Rentals, in the maximum aggregate amount of $118,000. MOTION Kranz/Weygandt/Unanimous
20. COUNTY EXECUTIVE :
a. Legislation – Authorized the Chairman to sign a letter supporting House Resolution 4200, (Walden), the "Forest Emergency Recovery and Research Act", to improve the ability of the Federal Government to promptly implement recovery actions in response to catastrophic events.
b. Middle Fork Project Finance Authority – Discussion of a proposed Joint Powers Agreement with the Placer County Water Agency establishing the Middle Fork Project Finance Authority.
c. North Lake Tahoe Infrastructure Projects - Approved funding requests for various infrastructure projects, in the amount of $306,100, with funding to be provided through Transient Occupancy Tax funds, as recommended by the North Lake Tahoe Resort Association.
21. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Administration – Approved agreement with PEACE for Families, from July 1, 2004 through June 30, 2007, in an amount not to exceed $300,000, for Medi-Cal Administrative Activities Revenue Compliance and Claiming, and authorized the Chairman to sign the Certification Regarding Lobbying. MOTION Gaines/Holmes/Unanimous
b. Adult System of Care – Approved the renewal grant agreement with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to receive funds, in the amount of $293,282, for Permanent Supportive Housing under the Supportive Housing Program.
c. Community Health – Ratified the submittal of a grant application to the California HealthCare Foundation, from January 1, 2006 through December 31, 2006, in the amount of $50,000, for participation in the Planning for Children's Coverage Expansion Project, and authorized the Health & Human Services Director to sign the grant agreement and subsequent amendments.
d. Community Health – Ratified the submittal of a grant application to Delta Dental of California to participate in the Healthy Families Rural Health Demonstration Project, from November 1, 2006 through June 30, 2006, accepted the resulting grant, in an amount not to exceed $37,401, and authorized the Health & Human Services Director to sign.
e. Environmental Health – Ordinance introduced, first reading waved, amending Chapter 8 revising Article 8.24 of the Placer County Code, relating to on-site sewage treatment and disposal.
f. Environmental Health – Resolution establishing the Placer County Retail Food Sanitation Advisory Committee. Item continued.
22. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/COMMUNITY HEALTH:
1. Approved agreement with State Department of Health Services, from August 31, 2005 through August 30, 2006, in an amount not to exceed $707,418, for the Public Health Preparedness and Response to Bioterrorism Program.
2. Signed Certification Regarding Lobbying and the Non-Supplantation Certification Form.
3. Approved the addition of one uninterruptible power supply, in the amount of $36,500, to the Master Fixed Asset List.
4. Approved a budget revision in the amount of $71,987.
5. Authorized the Health & Human Services Director to sign future amendments.
23. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(1) Existing Litigation:
(a) McNeely v. Placer County, et al. U.S. District Court Case No. CIV.S-05-02549-WBS-KJM – Authorized County Counsel Office to provide the defense for the named employee.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR – No discussion.
Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: PPEO/DSA
(C) §54956.8 – CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATOR:
(1) Property: APN: 090-191-014
Negotiating Parties: County of Placer or Redevelopment Agency and Mike and Kimberly Hughes. Under Negotiation: Price, terms of payment and conditions of acquisition -– The Board received a report from its negotiators and gave direction to its negotiators.
(2) Property: Portions of APN Nos. 031-190-011 and 031-190-012, Negotiating Parties: County of Placer, PCWA and SunCal Companies. Under Negotiation: Price, terms of payment and conditions of acquisition - The Board received a report from its negotiators and gave direction to its negotiators.
TIMED ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE TIME SHOWN:
24. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of a commendation to Arla Gibson, Executive Director, PEACE for Families, upon her retirement after more than 12 years of dedicated community service.
25. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of Resolution 2006-01 commending Tim Hackworth, Public Works Director, upon his retirement after more than 13 years of service.
26. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES – Resolution 2006-12 adopted ratifying the Declaration of Local Emergency, and received an update on the impact of the recent winter storm on Placer County. MOTION Holmes/Kranz/Unanimous
27. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS - Presentation of the Commemorative Coin Awards for 2005. Recipients were: District 1, John Piches; District 2 George Scherer and Stephen Scherer; District 3, Harriet White and Bob Lundin; District 4, Virg Anderson and Steve Nash; and District 5, Norma Schwartz. The recipients were personally chosen by the Supervisor of their district in recognition of either their acts of heroism, longstanding community service, or exceptional acts that have dramatically improved or impacted people's lives. A reception followed in Conference Room A.
28. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/COMMUNITY SERVICES BLOCK GRANT – Public hearing closed. Accepted the recommendations of the Placer County Community Services Commission for the award of 2006 Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) funds to delegate agencies and authorized the Health & Human Services Director to enter into contracts for services for Calendar Year 2006. Authorized the Health & Human Services Director to renew contracts with the recommended agencies in 2007 for the same dollar amount contingent upon satisfactory performance in contract year 2006 and continued CSBG funding by the State. MOTION Holmes/Weygandt/Unanimous
29. FACILITY SERVICES – Public Hearing to consider approval of an agreement with Sun Power & Geothermal Energy, Inc. (Sun Power) for the design and installation of photovoltaic electrical generation systems at the DeWitt Center. Item continued to January 24, 2006 at 9:45 a.m.
MOTION Holmes/Weygandt/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Gaines temporarily absent)
30. PLANNING/APPEAL PENRYN 76 SIGN PERMIT & VARIANCE (PSIN20040783/ PVAA20050302). The property (APN #043-060-063 and 043-060-064) is comprised of 5 acres, is zoned C1-UP-DC (Neighborhood Commercial, Combining CUP required, Combining Design Scenic Corridor) and is located at 3142 Boyington Road in the Penryn area. Conduct a public hearing to consider the following:
a. Sign Permit (PSIN20040783) appeal by Bobby Rogers of the Planning Commission's denial of a sign permit for the re-facing of two existing canopies.
b. Variance (PVAA20050302) appeal by Bobby Rogers of the Planning Commission's denial of a variance for the construction of a 50-foot high freestanding pole sign where the maximum permitted height is 25 feet.
Continued to February 7, 2006 at 11:00 a.m. Staff was directed to bring back written information regarding Conoco Phillips’ conditions for canopy colors and allowed exceptions with examples, detail regarding freestanding sign location and pictures of freeway views both east and west.
31. LUNCH – Placer County Administrative Center, Conference Room A, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn - The Board made their 2006 Board & Commission Assignments (per the approved assignment list on file with the Clerk of the Board), and discussion of agenda scheduling and closed session.
JOINT MEETING OF THE PLACER COUNTY
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND
THE PLACER COUNTY WATER AGENCY
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
32. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/MIDDLE FORK PROJECT FINANCE AUTHORITY:
Board of Supervisors Resolution 2006-13 adopted approving the "Joint Exercise of Powers Agreement for the Middle Fork Project Finance Authority" between Placer County and the Placer County Water Agency, authorized the Chairman to execute the agreement for and on behalf of the County, and directed staff to carry out the provisions of the agreement as set forth in the Joint Powers Agreement. MOTION Holmes/Weygandt/Unanimous
Placer County Water Agency Board of Directors Resolution 06-01 adopted approving the “Joint Exercise of Powers Agreement for the Middle Fork Project Finance Authority” between the Placer County Water Agency and Placer County, authorized the Chairman to execute the agreement for and on behalf of the Agency, and directed staff to carry out the provisions of the agreement as set forth in the Joint Powers Agreement. MOTION Wollan/Roccucci/Unanimous
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
33. AUDITOR/CONTROLLER – Statement of Condition of Cash in the Treasury for the month ending November 30, 2005.
34. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR – Treasurer's Statement for the month of November 2005.
ADJOURNMENT – Next regularly scheduled meeting is Tuesday, January 24, 2006.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2006 MEETING SCHEDULE:
January 24, 2006
February 07, 2006
February 21, 2006
March 07, 2006
March 21, 2006