COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, APRIL 17, 2007
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm District 1 Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3, Vice Chairman Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Supervisor Uhler.
The Board held a moment of silence in recognition of the shootings at Virginia Tech.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – None given.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – Supervisor Rockholm reported on the Sacramento Area Council of Government meeting he attended that addressed housing needs and also reported on the Strawberry Olympics held in Roseville he, Supervisor Holmes and Supervisor Kranz attended.
Supervisor Uhler spoke about operating under the design build as opposed to the design bid build process. Thomas Miller, County Executive Officer, stated a status report will be brought before the Board.
1. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of Resolution 2007-98 commending Bill Combs, Principal Planner, upon his retirement of over 29 years of service.
2. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Update on the Auburn Boys & Girls Club by Bonnie Mc Adams, Chief Development Director.
3. PUBLIC WORKS/PFE ROAD & COOK RIOLO ROAD – Public hearing closed. Ordinance 5463-B adopted, amending Chapter 10, establishing parking restrictions on portions of PFE Road and Cook Riolo Road. MOTION Rockholm/Weygandt/Unanimous
4. FACILITY SERVICES/COUNTY SERVICE AREA 28, ZONE 55 (LIVOTI TRACT) - Public hearing closed. Ordinance 5464-B adopted, amending Chapter 13, adjusting the sewer connection fee and made a finding pursuant to Section 21080(b)(8), of the Public Resource Code, that the higher fee is derived directly from the cost of providing service and is necessary to meet operating expenses required for maintenance. MOTION Rockholm/Weygandt/Unanimous
5. STATE ROUTE 49/HULBERT WAY IMPROVEMENT PROJECT:
a. Public Works - Public hearing closed. 1) Adopted a new Development Fee for the SR49/Hulbert Way Improvement Project; 2) Made findings relative to implementation of the fee and Resolution 2007-114 adopted approving documents which provide the basis for the Improvement Project Fee Program and Resolution 2007-115 adopted setting the Improvement Project Development Fee; 3) Resolution 2007-116 adopted approving an agreement with the Redevelopment Agency for Public Works to provide project and construction management services for the project; and 4) Approved the project plans and specifications; authorized the Chairman to sign the cover sheet and authorized the Department of Public Works to advertise for bids.
ADJOURNED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND
CONVENED AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD
b. Redevelopment Agency Board – Resolution 2007-117 adopted approving an agreement between the Redevelopment Agency and the Public Works Department for the management and construction of the Hulbert Way Road Improvement Project, in an amount not to exceed $4,000,000, and authorized the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director or designee, to execute the agreement and related documents subject to Agency Counsel review.
ADJOURNED AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD AND
RECONVENED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
6. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/APPEAL/VARIANCE/DIETRICH (PVAA20060640) CATEGORICAL EXEMPTION CLASS 5 - Public hearing to consider the third-party appeal from Kelly Anderson of the Planning Commission’s approval of a variance to allow the maximum fence height limitation of 6 feet for the sides and rear and 3 feet within the front setback to allow a fence 7 feet, 6 inches to remain and be extended at 6 feet in height to the end of the garage, and then curve downward to a height of 43 inches at the end, and to allow 2 existing grape arbors to remain at 10 inches from the rear property line and 6 inches from the east side property line. The property (APN 468-060-033) is located at 3525 Old Auburn Road, Roseville area, and is currently zoned RS-AG-B-40 (Residential Single Family combining Agricultural combining Building Site Size of 40,000 square feet minimum).
MOTION Uhler/Rockholm/Unanimous to hear the third-party appeal from Kelly Anderson agreeing there is standing for the appeal. The Board ruled that only two items would be discussed fence height and grape arbors.
MOTION Uhler/Weygandt/Unanimous, to close the public hearing, deny the appeal on the removal of the grape arbors and directed the applicant to have the existing fence and new fence changed to 6’ to the edge of the garage and quickly taper to 3’ for the remainder of the property (as proposed in Exhibit 4 submitted by the applicant). Directed Council to prepare findings and present to the Board at a future meeting.
7. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – The Board was invited by the Auburn Plaza LLC to attend the Highway 49/Hulbert Way Road Improvement Project Groundbreaking Ceremony in North Auburn.
8. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/ADULT SYSTEM OF CARE – Approved the recommendation of the competitive Request for Proposals #9651 Evaluation Committee to award a contract, from April 17, 2007 through June 30, 2010, to Yolo Community Care Continuum of Davis, California, in the maximum amount of $350,000, for operation of an Adult Residential Facility.
9. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Auburn Folsom Road Widening, South Phase Construction, Contract #1001 – Resolution 2007-112 adopted approving the plans & specifications, authorizing the Chairman to sign, and allowing the Department of Public Works to advertise for bids. The estimated construction cost is $8,300,000. MOTION Rockholm/Uhler/Unanimous
b. Barton Road Bridge at Miners Ravine Replacement Project, Contract #73267 – Resolution 2007-113 adopted approving the plans & specifications, authorizing the Chairman to sign, and allowing the Public Works Director to advertise for bids, pending right-of-way certification. The estimated construction cost is $1,800,000. MOTION Rockholm/Holmes/Unanimous
10. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(1) Existing Litigation:
(a) Barry Silva vs. County of Placer, et al., Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-14145 – The Board received a status report with regard to the recent litigation and gave direction to Counsel.
(b) Steven R. Suer, et. al. vs. County of Placer, Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-17945 – The Board was advised of the upcoming trial date, extended the contract of the traffic consultant and received a status report from Counsel and gave direction.
(c) Town of Loomis vs. Placer County; et al. , Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-12793 – The Board received a status report of the recent unpublished opinion of the Court of Appeals in this matter.
(B) §54956.8 – CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATOR
(a) Property: APN's 110-010-017-000; 110-010-021-000; 110-010-018-510; 110-010-022-510; 110-010-023-000; 110-010-026-000 and 110-010-027-000. Negotiating Parties: County of Placer, Trust for Public Land, Truckee, Donner Land Trust and Waddle Ranch Investors. Under Negotiation: Price, terms of payment and conditions of acquisition - The Board had a discussion on a series of parcels collectively referred to as Waddle Ranch and gave direction to its negotiators.
APN 031-340-005 Negotiating
Parties: County of Placer, Albert and Michiko Yoshikawa. Under
Negotiation: Price, terms of payment and conditions of acquisition.
(C) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR – The Board received a report and gave direction to its negotiators.
(a) Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: PPEO/DSA/Management
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 4-7) - Item 16a was removed from the agenda. Consent Agenda approved as amended with action as indicated. The Board convened as the In-Home Supportive Services Public Authority Board for Item #16d and as the Redevelopment Agency Board for Item #23.
11. ORDINANCE – Second Reading:
a. County Executive – Ordinance 5461-B adopted, amending Chapter 3, Article 3.12, Section 3.12.030, relating to the salary for the Director of Child Support Services position. The revised Director’s specification incorporates a law degree requirement and significant legal responsibilities that will enable the Department to leave a Supervising Child Support Attorney position vacant and net $9,764 per month to fill other key management positions.
b. Personnel/Civil Service Commission – Ordinance 5462-B adopted, amending Chapter 3, Sections 3.12.010, Appendix 1, relating to position reclassifications for the Community Development Resource Agency and the departments of Health & Human Services and Public Works. The recommended reclassifications could ultimately result in an increased cost of approximately $17,928, though it will be less initially since the employees in these positions are not at Step 5.
12. WARRANT REGISTERS – Week of March 9, 16, 23, 30, 2007.
13. AGRICULTURE COMMISSIONER:
a. Resolution 2007-99 adopted approving an amendment to Contract #06-0349 with the State Department of Food and Agriculture allowing for reimbursement from the State, in an amount of up to $2,496.30, for enforcing mandated programs.
b. Resolution 2007-100 adopted authorizing the Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer to sign Contract #07-002BC with the State Department of Food and Agriculture for reimbursement from the State, of up to $7,448, for enforcing mandated programs for Pesticide Application Reporting.
14. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Resolution 2007-98 adopted commending Bill Combs, Principal Planner, upon his retirement of over 29 years of service.
b. Approved one-year District Aide Employment Agreement with Collier Cook for general administrative and technical assistance to the District 5 Supervisor.
c. Approved minutes of March 20, 2007.
15. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following claims as recommended by County Counsel:
a. 07-028, Sierra Pacific, $14,799.50 (Property Damage).
b. 07-029, Livernois, Wayne, $2,590 (Personal Injury).
c. 07-032, Thomas, Shawn, Unstated (Property Damage).
d. 07-033, McClary, David, $386,000 (Personal Injury).
e. 07-041, Boctor, Emaud $650 (Property Damage).
16. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. ITEM REMOVED/
Appeals Board – Approve reappointment of Michael Flack to Seat 9 (Handicapped).
b. County Parks Commission – Approved appointment of Harry Crabb to Seat 1 (District 1), as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
c. Meadow Vista Municipal Advisory Council – Approved appointment of Richard Terrell Hoopes II to Seat 5, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
d. In-Home Supportive Services Advisory Committee – Approved appointment of Sherrie Comer to Seat 9, (IHSS Service Providers); Tim Cooper to Seat 10 (IHSS Service Recipients) and Phylis M. Nelson to Seat 11 (IHSS Service Recipients).
17. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/ENGINEERING & SURVEYING:
a. Martis Camp (Aka Siller Ranch) Unit 2, Tract 956 - Approved final map, subdivision improvement agreement and authorized the recording of the project, located in Martis Valley.
b. Walnut Orchard Subdivision, Tract 952 - Approved final map, warranty agreement and authorized the recording of the project, located north of Todd Valley off of Foresthill Road, west of Foresthill.
c. Walnut Orchard Subdivision, Tract 952, Project #FF 1232 - Accepted the improvements as complete, reduced the Faithful Performance to 25% and Labor & Materials to 50%, or the total of all claims, whichever is higher, for six months or longer if claims exist. The project is located north of Todd Valley and west of Foresthill.
d. Highway 65 Bypass Project – Resolution 2007-101 adopted renaming four existing sections of public roadways between Athens Avenue and northwest of Sheridan.
18. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Administration - Approved a merit increase (5%) for Robert Martino, Chief Building Official, from Grade 645 Step 1 to Grade 645 Step 2, at $48.96 per hour, effective April 28, 2007.
b. Community Grants & Loans – Resolution 2007-102 adopted authorizing an increase in the loan amount limits for the HOME Investment Partnership Program, from $125,000 to $150,000, subject to Counsel review.
c. Economic Development – Resolution 2007-103 adopted supporting the clean technology in the six-county Sacramento regions. The resolution supports the Clean Energy Technology Action Team which is working to bring research, investment and capital to the region. Support of the resolution will ensure that Placer County goes on record encouraging clean tech programs and services.
d. Emergency Services - Accepted a Federal Department of Homeland Security Assistance to Firefighters Grant of $376,986 for the purchase of Project-25 compliant radios and associated equipment, approved a budget revision and add to the Master Fixed Asset List.
e. Emergency Services - Resolution 2007-104 adopted approving the 2006/07 update of the South Placer Fire Protection District Capital Facilities Plan that contains a Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers based on 2.1% Mitigation Fees.
19. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Auburn Justice Center - Approved Amendment #3 to the agreement with Beverly Prior Architects, increasing the contract by $45,000, for a total contract cost not-to-exceed $2,313,500, to provide architectural and engineering services for the project located in the Placer County Government Center in Auburn.
b. Community Development Resource Center, Project #4630 - Approved Amendment #2 to Agreement #11912 with Turner Construction Company, increasing the contract by $50,000, for a total contract cost not-to-exceed $735,091, to provide construction management services for the project located in the Placer County Government Center in Auburn.
c. Granite Bay Parks, Trails & Open Space Assessment District/FY 2007/08 - Resolution of Intention 2007-105 adopted to levy assessments, approving the preliminary Engineer’s Report and setting the time, date and location for a public hearing for the district.
d. Lease Agreement - Authorized Facility Services to complete negotiations for a new lease agreement with Lake Canyon Limited Partnership, for the Tahoe Probation Office, based on the material terms for office space located in Tahoe Vista, and authorized the Facility Services Director to execute the lease agreement upon approval by County Counsel.
e. Loomis Library Utility Easement – Resolution 2007-106 adopted delegating authority to the Facility Services Director to grant a utility easement to the Placer County Water Agency, located at the Loomis Library, and that authorizes the Facility Services Director, or his designee, to execute all documents and all actions necessary to grant and record the easement upon approval by County Counsel.
f. Main Jail, Detention Hardware, Project #09186 - Ratified the emergency purchase of detention hardware for the Main Jail located at the Placer County Government Center in Auburn.
20. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Adult System of Care - Approved amendment to Contract CN005369 with Advocates for the Mentally Ill Housing, Inc., increasing total compensation by $20,900, for a total amount not to exceed $96,000, to include participation in the Mental Health Services Act full-service partnership through June 30, 2007, and authorized the Health & Human Services Director to sign.
b. Animal Services - Authorized the Health & Human Services Director to sign a spay and neuter grant agreement, in the amount of $5,000, with the Placer Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
c. Community Health - Approved a grant award from the California Department of Health Services, in the amount of $69,300, for supplies and expenses to support the training of a new Public Health Microbiologist and authorized the Health & Human Services Director to sign the agreement and any subsequent amendments; approved the addition of new equipment for the Public Health Laboratory to the County Fixed Asset List, in the amount of $47,000, and approved a budget revision to appropriately budget these funds.
21. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Blanket Purchase Order #13554 & #13556, Janitorial Supplies/Facility Services – Renewed purchase orders, as a result of Competitive Bid #9536, with J C Nelson Supply and Unisource Supply, in the maximum amount of $204,000.
b. Purchase Order, Annual Software Maintenance & Support/Auditor & Personnel – Awarded sole source purchase order to Oracle Corporation, for the Payroll/Personnel “ACORN” System, in the amount of $153,206.36.
22. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Auburn Ravine/Lincoln Way Curb Relocation Project – Resolution 2007-107 adopted authorizing the Public Works Director to award and execute the construction contract to the responsible low bidder, up to an amount of $160,000, upon review of the bonds and insurance by County Counsel, and authorized the Public Works Director to execute contract change orders up to 10% of the contract amount.
b. Lake Forest Erosion Control Project, Area A (Dollar Point), Contract #1009 – Approved the project plans and specifications and authorized the Department of Public Works to advertise for bids; Resolution 2007-108 adopted authorizing the Director of Public Works to execute a construction contract with the lowest responsible bidder not to exceed $1.5 million and authorized the Director of Public Works to approve and sign contract change orders up to 10% of the lowest responsible bidder’s approved contract amount.
c. Lake Forest Erosion Control Project, Area B – Resolution 2007-109 adopted authorizing the Chairman to sign and approve an agreement with Nevada Tahoe Conservation District, a governmental subdivision of the State of Nevada, in the amount of $165,000, for water quality monitoring and analysis and authorizing the Public Works Director to approve and sign future amendments up to $16,500.
d. Placer Commuter Express – Resolution 2007-110 adopted authorizing the Chairman to execute Amendment #1 with Amador Stage Lines for a one-year extension of the contract to operate Placer Commuter Express to expand service from two to three round trips per weekday, for a total of $605,153.
23. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD – Resolution 2007-111 adopted authorizing an increase in the loan amount limits for the Redevelopment Agency Tax Increment Housing Program, from $60,000 to $150,000, subject to Counsel Review.
24. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approved appropriation in the amount of $750 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Sportsmen’s Legacy Foundation Scholarship Program, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($250) and Supervisor Weygandt ($500).
b. Approved appropriation in the amount of $300 in Revenue Sharing monies to the 2007 Police Unity Tour, as request by Supervisor Rockholm ($100) and Supervisor Holmes ($200).
c. Approved appropriation in the amount of $350 in Revenue Sharing monies to the H. Clarke Powers School Frisbee Golf Course, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($100) and Supervisor Holmes ($250).
d. Approved appropriation in the amount of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Auburn Rotary Club for the 7th Annual Auburn Rotary Community Day, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
25. SHERIFF - Accepted a Drug Enforcement Agency grant, from January 1, 2007 through December 31, 2007, in the amount of $15,000, and authorized the Sheriff to execute the grant documents and contract. The purpose of the grant is to support the drug enforcement efforts within Placer County for the arrest, prevention and eradication of controlled substances.
26. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR – Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, to levy a special tax on all taxable properties within Community Facilities District #2001-1 (Dry Creek-West Placer) pursuant to Government Code Sections 53340 of the Mello-Roos Community Facilities Act of 1982..
***End of Consent Agenda***
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
27. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR - Annual market disclosure reports for the Placer Corporate Center Assessment District #1 Bonds and the Dry Creek-West Placer CFD #2001-1 Series 2001 Special Tax Bonds.
ADJOURNMENT – The next regular is Tuesday, May 8, 2007.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2007 MEETING SCHEDULE:
May 08, 2007
May 22, 2007
June 12 2007
June 26, 2007
July 10, 2007
July 23, 2007 (Tahoe)
July 24, 2007 (Tahoe)