COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, APRIL 3, 2007
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm District 1 Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3, Vice Chairman Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Resort at Squaw Creek, Alpine “A”
400 Squaw Creek Road
Olympic Valley, CA 96146
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Supervisor Weygandt.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – Steve Teshara, Executive Director of the North Lake Tahoe Resort Association and Ron Treabess presented the Public Works Department, Tahoe Design Division, an award for Positive Environmental Impact. Peter Kraatz, Public Works, announced he will sit on the Lake Tahoe Federal Advisory Committee that deliberates over Southern Nevada Public Lands Management Act money. Dave Ruben, on behalf of the North Tahoe Fire Department thanked the Board and staff for the addition of the changeable message sign trailers. Bill Combs announced he would be retiring from the Planning Department, after 29 years of service.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS - None
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 3-6) – Consent Agenda approved with action as indicated.
1. COUNTY EXECUTIVE – Approved the Wildfire Prevention & Biomass Utilization Strategic Plan subject to budget approval. MOTION Holmes/Rockholm/Unanimous
2. PUBLIC WORKS/CROSS JURISDICTIONAL TRAFFIC IMPACTS - Resolution 2007-92 adopted authorizing the Director of Public Works to sign agreement with the Town of Truckee addressing cross jurisdictional traffic impacts and finding equivalent traffic impacts between the Town and the County.
3. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/REDEVELOPMENT – Received a Main Street Program update from the Tahoe City Downtown Association and the North Tahoe Business Association (Kings Beach).
DEPARTMENT ITEMS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ACTION AS TIME ALLOWS
4. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT:
a. Bid #9663, Patrol Sedans/Sheriff - Awarded competitive bid to Hoblit Motors for the lease-purchase of 13 patrol sedans, in the amount of $349,671.17.
b. Blanket Purchase Order #13640 & #13769, Road Paving Services/Public Works – Renewed purchase order resulting from Competitive Bids #9445 & #9570, with Baldoni Construction Service, Inc., in the maximum aggregate amount of $265,000.
5. COUNTY CLERK/RECORDER/ELECTIONS – Resolution 2007-93 adopted appointing Michele Elliott to the Board of Directors for the Newcastle Fire Protection District and directed the Clerk of the Board to forward a certified copy of the resolution to the Newcastle Fire Protection District and the County Clerk/Recorder. MOTION Holmes/Uhler/Unanimous
6. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Received a status report regarding Placer County’s Place-Based Planning Component of Tahoe Regional Planning Agency’s Pathway 2007, 20 Year Regional Plan.
b. Approved the North Lake Tahoe Resort Association’s proposed expenditure of budgeted infrastructure funds for a portable performing arts stage, in an amount not to exceed $126,000.
7. FACILITY SERVICES/SITE SELECTION FOR TAHOE GOVERNMENT CENTER – Received an update on the current status of the center site solicitation including a description of properties under consideration. Staff directed to eliminate the Kingswood property from further consideration and directed staff to continue its due diligence with the intent of returning with a recommendation at the July 2007 Board Meeting in Tahoe. MOTION Rockholm/Holmes/Unanimous
8. PUBLIC WORKS/BEAVER STREET INFRASTRUCTURE IMPROVEMENTS, KINGS BEACH – Resolution 2007-94 adopted authorizing the Public Works Director to execute a cooperative agreement with the North Tahoe Public Utility District, in the amount of $598,690, to work in tandem on a water and sewer main replacement project and to implement County roadway water quality drainage improvements and pavement overlay. MOTION Rockholm/Holmes/Unanimous
9. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/REDEVELOPMENT – Adopted Resolution 2007-95 adopting specific findings for the purchase of property located at 8876-8784 North Lake Boulevard, Kings Beach, in the amount of $850,000, subject to County Counsel review. MOTION Rockholm/Holmes/Unanimous
ADJOURNED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND
CONVENED AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD
10. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD:
a. Agreement - Resolution 2007-96 adopted authorizing the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director to execute a Community Reinvestment Act Loan Agreement with Wells Fargo Bank, in the amount of $600,000, for the revitalization in the North Lake Tahoe Redevelopment area subject to Agency Counsel review.
MOTION Holmes/Uhler/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Rockholm temporarily absent.
b. Property Purchase – Adopted Resolution 2007-97 and findings authorizing the purchase of property located at 8776-8784 North Lake Boulevard, Kings Beach, in the amount of $850,000, plus related escrow costs, approved the required budget revision, in the amount of $1,450,000, and authorized the Chief Assistant CEO–Redevelopment Director or designee to sign all documents subject to Agency Counsel review.
MOTION Holmes/Uhler/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Rockholm temporarily absent)
c. Kings Beach Gateway Monument Signs - Accepted a status report.
MOTION Weygandt/Holmes/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Rockholm temporarily absent)
ADJOURNED AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD AND
RECONVENED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
11. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
(A) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR – The Board met with its Labor Negotiators and received a report and gave direction.
(a) Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: PPEO/DSA/Management
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 3-6) – Consent Agenda approved with action as indicated.
12. ORDINANCE – Second Reading:
a. Community Development Resource Agency/Building – Ordinance 5460-B adopted, amending Chapter 15, revising Article 15.04.050 Section E, Permit Fees, including clarifying language for calculating building permit fee charges, pursuant to Placer County Grand Jury recommendations, and updating the April 2002 Building Standards Valuation table, adopted by the Board on November 4, 2003, based on the California Construction Cost Index.
13. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Approved budget revision transferring existing funding to the Master Fixed Assets Account (4451), in the amount of $6,000, to purchase a fixed asset (one color scanner) and to add the item to the Master Fixed Asset List.
b. Approved proclamation acknowledging ongoing efforts by the Child Abuse Prevention Council of Placer County to eliminate child abuse, and to proclaim April 2007 as “Child Abuse Prevention Month” in Placer County.
c. Resolution 2007-86 adopted in support of the 16th Annual "America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride" to be held on Sunday, June 3, 2007 around Lake Tahoe.
d. Approved minutes of February 20 and March 6, 2007.
14. CLERK RECORDER/REGISTRAR OF VOTERS - Approved purchase of recommended trust reimbursed fixed assets to replace aging equipment and improve Clerk-Recorder and Elections security, approved addition of the requested items to the master fixed asset list, and approved a budget revision appropriating $17,500 for a digital reader-printer, $9,450 for security system upgrades, and $1,425 for security tapes, with all recommended expenditures offset by reimbursement from department trust funds.
15. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Gold Run Cemetery District – Approved appointment of Daniel Ellison to Seat 4 and Richard Christopher “Chris” Snyder to Seat 6, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
b. North Lake Tahoe Resort Association Infrastructure Committee – Approved appointment of Sue Daniels, Thomas Murphy, Guy Perman, Paula Rachuy, Paul Vatistas and Keith Vogt, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
c. Older Adult Advisory Commission – Approved appointment of Chester Lelio to Seat 2 (District 2), as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
16. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/ENGINEERING & SURVEYING - Approved amendment to blanket purchase order with Psomas, extending the terms through June 30, 2007 and increasing the amount to $363,900, a $100,000 increase, for project inspection and construction management services in the Tahoe/Truckee area, and authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign.
17. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Administration - Authorized the Chairman to sign contractual amendment to agreement with Dean Tibbs of Advanced Energy Strategies, in the amount of $50,000, increasing the contract total to $300,000, to support the Middle Fork American River Hydroelectric Project.
b. Administration – Approved revised specification for the Director of Child Support Services (unclassified) and ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending Chapter 3, Article 3.12, Section 3.12.030, relating to the salary for the position. The revised Director’s specification incorporates a law degree requirement and significant legal responsibilities that will enable the Department to leave a Supervising Child Support Attorney position vacant and net $9,764 per month to fill other key management positions.
c. Community Grants & Loans – Resolution 2007-87 adopted authorizing the submittal of an application, in the amount of $600,000, to the California State Department of Housing and Community Development for funding under the CalHome Program and authorizing the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director, or designee, to execute a standard agreement and related documents.
d. Economic Development – Approved a promotional item, in the amount of $500, for the Regional Council of Rural Counties Annual Conference held on September 20, 2006 in Squaw Valley and hosted by Placer County, including the expenditure of $340 for a gift certificate promoting one of Placer County’s ski resorts.
e. Emergency Services – Resolution 2007-88 adopted transferring two programmable, changeable message boards purchased by the County in 2006 with Homeland Security funds from the Master Fixed Asset List to North Tahoe Fire Protection District and directed staff to execute necessary actions to effect the transfer.
18. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Agreement - Approved agreement with SCS Field Services, in an amount not to exceed $166,080, for the operation and maintenance of the landfill gas systems at the Meadow Vista, Loomis and Eastern Regional Landfills.
b. Agreement – Approved agreement with SCS Engineers, in an amount not to exceed $91,112, for water quality monitoring services at the Meadow Vista, Loomis, Eastern Regional and Foresthill Landfills.
c. Agreement - Authorized the Facility Services Department to complete negotiations for a new lease agreement with Cagle Properties, LLC, for the Records Management Warehouse located at 1765-1795 Industrial Drive, Auburn, and authorized the Facility Services Director to execute upon County Counsel approval.
d. Dewitt Signage Project #4632 - Resolution 2007-89 adopted accepting the project as complete and authorizing the Facility Services Director to execute and record the Notice of Completion.
19. PERSONNEL/CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION – Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending Chapter 3, Sections 3.12.010, Appendix 1, relating to position reclassifications for the Community Development Resource Agency and the departments of Health & Human Services and Public Works. The recommended reclassifications could ultimately result in an increased cost of approximately $17,928, though it will be less initially since the employees in these positions are not at Step 5.
20. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Bid #9667, NEC Brand Telephone System Parts/Telecommunications – Awarded competitive bid to Black Box Network Services, in the maximum amount of $140,000.
b. Blanket Purchase Order #13440, Ergonomic Chairs/Countywide – Renewed purchase order as a result of Competitive Bid #9505, in the maximum amount of $130,000.
c. Blanket Purchase Order #13630, Asbestos Abatement Services/Facility Services – Renewed purchase order resulting from Competitive Bid #9542 with Allied Environmental, Inc., in the maximum amount of $95,000.
d. Blanket Purchase Order #13686, Building Materials/Facility Services – Renewed a negotiated blanket purchase order with Diamond Pacific, in accordance with Section 7.2 of the Purchasing Policy Manual, in the maximum amount of $80,000.
e. Blanket Purchase Order #13689 & #13690, Safety Supplies/Emergency Services – Renewed blanket purchase orders, as a result of Competitive Bid #9549, with Empire Safety & Supply, Inc., in the maximum aggregate amount of $195,000.
f. Blanket Purchase Order, Water Borne Traffic Line Paint/Public Works – Approved purchase order, through a competitively bid cooperative purchasing agreement, through the use of the State of California contract with Ennis Paint, Inc., in the maximum amount of $100,000.
g. Blanket Purchase Order #13703, Plumbing Supplies/Facility Services – Renewed blanket purchase order, as a result of Competitive Bid #9422, with Anderson’s Sierra Pipe Company, Inc., in the maximum amount of $79,000.
h. Blanket Purchase Order #14127, Sewer Line Chemical Root Control Services/Facility Services – Renewed purchase order resulting from Competitive Bid #9519, with Duke’s Root Control, Inc., in the maximum amount of $60,000.
i. Contract, Dedicated Hosting Services for County Website/Administrative Services – Approved a negotiated three-year contract with Invision.com, Inc., in the amount of $88,484.13.
21. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Barton Road Bridge at Miners Ravine Replacement Project, Contract #73028 - Resolution 2007-90 adopted authorizing the Chairman to execute Amendment #6 with MRO Engineers, Inc., increasing the contract by $55,000, for a total not to exceed $421,789, for construction support services and authorized the Public Works Director to sign future contract amendments up to $40,000.
b. County Service Area (CSA) 28, Zone of Benefit 161(Village at Squaw Valley) – Approved a refund, in the amount of $2,520.56, collected from Squaw Valley Ski Corporation for expenses related to the Traffic Management Program from FY 2001/02 through FY 2005/06, which were to be reimbursed by the CSA.
c. Slurry Seal Existing Roads, Summer, 2007, Contract #1008 – Approved project specifications for the annual project, estimated to cost approximately $800,000, and authorized the Department of Public Works to advertise for bids.
d. Tahoe Area Regional Transit - Authorized the Chairman and Public Works Director to execute a Memorandum of Understanding with the Truckee-North Tahoe Transportation Management Association, in the amount of $52,000, to reimburse Placer County for transit services between Truckee, Squaw Valley and Tahoe City during the winter of 2006/07.
22. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approved appropriation in the amount of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Lincoln Volunteer Center, Tour de Lincoln Fundraising Event, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
b. Approved appropriation in the amount of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Performing Arts of Roseville, Music in the Park, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
c. Approved appropriation in the amount of $1,250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Sierra College Foundation’s Third Annual, A Taste of Excellence Event, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($500), Supervisor Weygandt ($250), Supervisor Holmes ($250) and Supervisor Uhler ($250).
d. Approved appropriation of $2,000 in Revenue Sharing monies to the 17th Annual Tommy Apostolos Fund, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($1,000) and Supervisor Uhler ($1,000).
a. Resolution 2007-91 adopted authorizing Sheriff-Coroner-Marshal to execute agreement with the State Department of Boating & Waterways for FY 2007/08, in the maximum amount of $72,475, to support our boating safety program.
b. Approved addition of one leased patrol vehicle to the Master Fixed Asset List, and technical budget revision to capitalize the leased vehicle for the South Placer Courthouse, in the amount not-to-exceed $28,000, and authorized the Purchasing Manager to execute related documents.
***End of Consent Agenda***
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
24. AREA 4 AGENCY ON AGING – General Purpose Financial Statements & Supplementary Information for year ending June 30, 2006.
25. MEADOW VISTA COUNTY WATER DISTRICT – 2006 Annual Audit Report and 2007 Final Budget.
26. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR - Treasurer’s Statement for the month of February 2007.
ADJOURNMENT – Next regular meeting is Tuesday, April 17, 2007.
2007 MEETING SCHEDULE:
April 17, 2007
May 08, 2007
May 22, 2007
June 12 2007
June 26, 2007