COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 5, 2006
Bill Santucci, District 1, Chairman Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3 Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Vice Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
FLAG SALUTE - Led by Supervisor Holmes.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Persons may address the Board on items not on this agenda. Please limit comments to 3 minutes per person since the time allocated for Public Comment is 15 minutes. If all comments cannot be heard within the 15 minute time limit, the Public Comment period will be taken up at the end of the regular session. The Board is not permitted to take any action on items addressed under Public Comment.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS:
CONSENT AGENDA: All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 1 thru 14) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion. The Board will convene as the Redevelopment Agency Board for Item #12.
1 WARRANT REGISTER - Weeks ending October 6, 13, 20, 27 and November 3, 2006.
2. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Resolution to Assemblyman Tim Leslie (PDF) for 20 years of elected service to the people of the great State of California, 4th Assembly District, which includes Placer County.
b. Resolution congratulating Sandy Simester (PDF) , Deputy Public Guardian/Conservator, Health and Human Services Department, upon her retirement after 30 years of service.
c. Resolution congratulating Diana Di Francesco (PDF) , Auditor-Controller’s Office, upon her retirement after more than 26 years of service.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 2
DECEMBER 5, 2006
3. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Auburn Cemetery District (PDF) - Approve the reappointment of Donald Anderson to Seat 1, Judy Towers to Seat 2 and Melinda Herzog-Landrith to Seat 5, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
b. Older Adult Advisory Commission (PDF) – Accept the resignation of Esther L. Hogans from Seat 13 (Minority Representative) and declare Seat 16 (Senior Service Organization) vacant, vacated by Deborah Nagel, so that recruitment for these positions may begin immediately.
c. Placer Sierra Fire Safe Council (PDF) – Approve appointment of Karen Calvert to Seat 5 (Secret Town-Emigrant Gap), as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
4. COUNTY CLERK/ELECTIONS (PDF) - Resolution appointing William Dickinson to a term on the Board of Directors of the South Placer Municipal Utility District, Ward 2.
5. COUNTY COUNSEL:
a. Resolution amending the Placer County Conflict of Interest Code (PDF) of Appendix of Designated Employees and a resolution approving statements from local government agencies regarding the status of their conflict of interest codes and approving amendment.
b. Approve a merit increase for Thomas Miller (PDF) , County Executive Officer, from Grade 686, Step 2, to Grade 686, Step 3, retroactive to September 2, 2006.
6. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Approve merit increase for Kathy Buchanan (PDF) , Information Technology Manager, Grade 469, Step 4, to Grade 469, Step 5, retroactive to November 25, 2006.
b. Approve merit increase for Mark Rathe (PDF) , Deputy County Counsel IV, from Grade 484, Step 4, to Grade 484, Step 5, retroactive to November 11, 2006.
c. Approve merit increase for Jerry Silva (PDF) , Information Technology Manager, from Grade 469, Step 2 to Grade 469, Step 3, retroactive to November 11, 2006.
d. Resolution granting a special four-hour holiday for County employees (PDF) during 2006 in observance of the Christmas or New Year’s Holiday.
7. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Lease Agreement (PDF) - Approve a lease agreement with the Hall Charitable Remainder Trust for Hangar #52 within Building “A” at the Auburn Airport located in Auburn, and authorize the Chairman to execute the agreement.
b. Manhole Lining Rehabilitation (PDF) , Project #40204/FY 2006/07 - Approve plans and specifications, and authorize staff to solicit bids; adopt a resolution authorizing the Facility Services Director to execute the resulting construction contract, in an amount not to exceed $98,600, upon Risk Management and County Counsel review and approval, and approve any required change orders.
8. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/COMMUNITY CLINICS (PDF) - Approve contract with Sutter Medical Foundation, from July 1, 2006 through June 30, 2008, in the amount of $100,000, for Professional Medical Coverage Hospitalist Services and authorize the Health & Human Services Director to sign the agreement and subsequent amendments.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 3
DECEMBER 5, 2006
9. PERSONNEL/CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION (PDF) - Introduction of an ordinance amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, Appendix 1 and Section 3.12.020, relating to positions within the departments of Administrative Services, Agricultural Commissioner-Sealer of Weights and Measures and the Auditor-Controller.
10. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Bid #9628, De-icing Sand/Public Works (PDF) – Award to Hansen Bros. Enterprises and Teichert Aggregate, in the maximum cumulative blanket purchase order amount of $112,000.
b. Blanket Purchase Order #13247 (PDF) , BlackBerry Radio/Cell Phones & Service/Countywide – Renew Countywide blanket purchase order with Nextel, in the maximum amount of $150,000.
c. Blanket Purchase Order #13302 (PDF) , Chlorine & Caustic Soda/Facility Services – Renew blanket purchase order with Sierra Chemical Company, Inc., in the maximum amount of $80,000.
d. Blanket Purchase Order #13389 (PDF) , Food Items/Health & Human Services – Renew blanket purchase order with Sam’s Club, in the amount of $60,000.
e. Blanket Purchase Order #13396 (PDF) , Bio-Zyme Lift Station Maintainer/Facility Services – Renew blanket purchase order with Brulin & Company, in the maximum amount of $85,800.
f. Blanket Purchase Order #13530 (PDF) , Landscape Aggregates/Facility Services - Approve Change Order #2 with Don Robinson Sand & Gravel, in the amount of $25,000.
g. Contract, Countywide Outlook Migration Training Program/Administrative Services (PDF) - Award to New Horizons Computer Learning Center, in the maximum amount of $118,395.
h. Qualified List #9068 (PDF) , Computer Technical Support Services/Countywide - Approve a one-year extension.
i. Request for Proposal #9590 (PDF) , Traffic Signal & Intersection Engineering Services - Adopt a List of Qualified Firms for various projects in Placer County, effective for a three-year period.
11. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Abandonment (PDF) - Resolution abandoning a portion of a Public Utility Easement, Equestrian Easement and Hiking Easement on Lot 14, Walden Woods Subdivision, Unit 1, Granite Bay.
b. Tahoe Regional Planning Agency Bicycle & Pedestrian Master Plan (PDF) – Resolution adopting the Placer County components of the plan in order to establish eligibility for Bicycle Transportation Account funding.
12. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY:
a. Accept the Independent Auditor’s Report and Financial Statements (PDF) for Fiscal Year 2005/06.
b. Resolution approving the submission of a $200,000 Federal Environmental Protection Agency Brownfield Communitywide Assessment Grant Application (PDF) and adopt a resolution approving the submission of a $200,000 Site Specific Cleanup Brownfield Grant Application, and authorize the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director, or designee, to execute all necessary documents subject to Agency Counsel approval.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 4
DECEMBER 5, 2006
13. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approve appropriation, in the amount of $750 (PDF) , in Revenue Sharing monies to Auburn Chamber of Commerce for the annual Festival of Lights event, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
b. Approve appropriation, in the amount of $250 (PDF) , in Revenue Sharing monies to the Auburn Education Foundation for their educational grant program benefiting the students of Auburn Union Elementary School District, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
c. Approve appropriation, in the amount of $250 (PDF) , in Revenue Sharing monies to H. Clarke Powers Elementary School for the purchase of a new kiln, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
d. Approve appropriation, in the amount of $500 (PDF) , in Revenue Sharing monies to the Roseville Host Lions Club for their annual Christmas Food Basket Program, as requested by Supervisor Santucci.
a. Approve agreement with Compudyne (PDF) , in the amount of $89,596, to implement the Computer Aided Dispatch upgrade and authorize the Purchasing Manager to execute.
b. Approve the purchase of a wireless Radio Internet Protocol System (PDF) , in an amount not to exceed $56,000, and a server, in the estimated amount of $6,500, and authorize the Purchasing Manager to execute related documents.
c. Declare British armored vehicle as surplus (PDF) and authorize its transfer to Plumas County Sheriff’s Department.
***End of Consent Agenda***
DEPARTMENT ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED BEFORE NOON, AS TIME ALLOWS
15. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES:
a. Resolution consenting to the assignment of Boulder Ridge Cable TV (PDF) , dba Starstream Communications, Non-exclusive Cable Television Franchise to Wave Division VI, LLC’s dba Wave Broadband to serve communities of North Auburn and Christian Valley.
b. Resolution consenting to the assignment of Boulder Ridge Cable TV (PDF) , dba Starstream Communications, Non-exclusive Cable Television Franchise to Wave Division VI, LLC’s dba Wave Broadband to serve the unincorporated area of South Placer County.
16. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT – Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Bid #9616, Two Natural Gas Fueled Dump Trucks/Public Works (PDF) – Award to Sacramento Truck Center, in the amount of $352,225.82.
b. Purchase Order, Office Supplies/Countywide (PDF) - Award Countywide blanket purchase order to Corporate Express, in the maximum amount of $800,000, and increase Blanket Purchase Order #13005 by $80,000.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 5
DECEMBER 5, 2006
c. Purchase Order, Fuel Credit Card Purchases/Public Works (PDF) – Approve blanket purchase order with Voyager Fleet Systems, Inc., in the maximum amount of $420,000.
17. FACILITY SERVICES/COLFAX LIBRARY ACQUISITION (PDF) - Resolution delegating authority to the Facility Services Director, or his designee, upon approval of Risk Management’s and County Counsel’s review and approval, to execute all documents and take all actions necessary to complete the acquisition, in the amount of $470,000, of approximately 0.16 acres of commercial property improved with a 3,620 square foot building, located in Colfax, and identified as Placer County Assessor’s Parcel Number 006-091-006; approve a budget revision and add the property to the Master Fixed Asset List.
18. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Children’s System of Care (PDF) - Amend Contract #CN012263 with CAPC, from July 1, 2006 through June 30, 2007, in the amount of $62,832, for a revised total contract amount of $401,832, adding Supervised Visitation and Team Decision Making Services and authorize the Health & Human Services Director to sign the amendment and subsequent amendments.
b. Children’s System of Care (PDF) - Amend Contract #CN012277 with Eastfield Ming Quong, Inc., dba EMQ Children & Family Services, from July 1, 2006 through June 30, 2007, in the amount of $147,000, for a revised total contract amount of $281,000, to provide therapeutic behavioral services and family support services and authorize the Health & Human Services Director to sign the amendment and subsequent amendments.
19. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. State Route 65/Sunset Boulevard Interchange Project, Contract #73268 (PDF) – Resolution authorizing the Public Works Department to negotiate a professional services agreement with Mark Thomas & Company, Inc., authorizing the Chairman to execute, in the amount not to exceed $2,500,000, upon County Counsel review and approval of necessary bonds and insurance, for civil engineering design services for preparation of final plans, specifications, estimate and related services; and authorize the Public Works Director to approve and sign contract amendments for additional professional services up to 10% of the contract amount.
b. Willow Creek Drive Extension Project, Contract #73250 (PDF) – Resolution authorizing the Chairman to execute a professional services agreement with Vali Cooper and Associates, Inc., in the amount of $204,993, upon County Counsel review and approval of necessary bonds and insurance, for construction management, inspection and material testing services; authorize the Public Works Director to approve and sign contract amendments for additional professional services up to 20% of the contract amount.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 6
DECEMBER 5, 2006
20. COUNTY COUNSEL/ADJOURN TO CLOSED SESSION (PDF) :
PERSONNEL SESSION/LABOR RELATIONS
Pursuant to the cited authority (all references are to the Government Code), the Board of Supervisors will hold a closed session to discuss the following listed items. A report of any action taken will be presented prior to adjournment.
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(1) Existing Litigation:
(a) Stephen R. Suer, et al. vs. County of Placer, et al., Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV17945.
(b) Sierra Watch, a nonprofit public benefit corp., et al vs. Placer County et al, Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-16652.
(B) §54956.8 – CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATOR
(a) Under Negotiation: Authorization to negotiate price, terms and conditions for acquisition of property in order to consolidate County government operations in the Tahoe area. Properties listed have been submitted in response to the "County Real Estate Solicitation for the Tahoe Government Center." Potential Negotiating Parties: County of Placer; James Mark Williamson; Poulsen Commercial Properties Limited Partnership; Paul Dyer et al and Sierra Crest Company; Marsh Ventures, Inc.; A. Kyle Everett, Trustee for Michael J. Schneider; and the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District.
(b) Under Negotiation: Authorization to negotiate price, terms and conditions for acquisition of conservation easement and development rights.
Negotiating Parties: County of Placer and David Lewis Kirk and The John B. and Sharon L. Kirk Family Trust.
APNS: 018-031-065, 018-031-066, 018-031-067
(C) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR
(a) Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: PPEO/DSA/Management
CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
TIMED ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE TIME SHOWN:
21. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS (PDF) – Presentation of a resolution to Assemblyman Tim Leslie for 20 years of elected service to the people of the great State of California, 4th Assembly District, which includes Placer County.
22. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT (PDF) – Presentation to Ed Moore, United States Forest Service, Recreation Assistant for the American River District of the Tahoe National Forest, from David Snyder, Director of Economic Development, of the Federal Public Employee of the Year from the 12th annual California On-Location Awards program in Los Angeles in October.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 7
DECEMBER 5, 2006
23. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/CAPITAL FACILITIES IMPACT FEE (PDF) – Public hearing to consider adoption of a new Capital Facilities Impact Fee for Animal Services facilities; make findings relative to implementation of the fee; adopt a resolution approving the supporting documents for the Animal Service Capital Facility Impact Fee; adopt a resolution setting the Animal Services Capital Facility Impact Fees within the County, and make a formal request to Placer County city/town councils to adopt the new Animal Services Impact Fee in their jurisdictions.
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING BEAVER CREEK REZONE/SUBDIVISION
(PSUB T20050366) MITIGATED NEGATIVE DECLARATION (PDF) –
Public hearing to consider a request by Morton and Pitalo on behalf of Parlin
Development for the approval of a rezone from RA-B-100 (Residential
Agricultural, Combining Building Site Size of 100,000 Square Feet) and
RS-Ag-B-100 PD-1 (Residential Single-Family, Combining Agriculture, Combining
Building Site Size of 100,000 Square Feet, Planned Development of 1 Dwelling
Unit per Acre) to RA-B-100 PD 0.5 (Residential Agricultural, Combining Building
Site Size of 100,000 Square Feet, Planned Development of 0.5 Dwelling Units per
Acre) to allow for the development of a residential subdivision on a project
site located on the south side of Douglas Boulevard, east of Cavitt Stallman
Road, in the Granite Bay area (APN 048-151-001). The Board will consider
adoption of a Mitigated Negative Declaration for the project.
Exhibit A (PDF) Exhibit B (PDF) Exhibit C (PDF)
25. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS (PDF) – Presentation of resolution congratulating Sandy Simester, Deputy Public Guardian/Conservator, Health and Human Services Department, upon her retirement after 30 years of service.
26. PERSONNEL/EMPLOYEE SERVICE AWARDS (PDF) – Presentation of Employee Service Awards to employees with 20 or more years of service, followed by a reception in Conference Room A.
27. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/LEGISLATIVE PLATFORM.
a. 2007 Legislative/Regulatory Platform (PDF) - Adopt the 2007 Legislative/Regulatory Platform for Placer County; direct staff to pursue action items; direct the County Executive Officer to support or oppose legislation in accordance with the Platform and authorize staff to coordinate an advocacy program to support the goals and objectives of the 2007 Platform.
b. Contract/Advocacy Services (PDF) - Approve contract for Federal advocacy services with the firm of Holland & Knight, LLP, in the amount of $144,000, for a 12-month period beginning January 1, 2007, and authorize the County Executive Officer to approve contract for State advocacy services with Peterson Consulting, Inc., for the same time period, in an amount not to exceed $46,411.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 8
DECEMBER 5, 2006
28. FACILITY SERVICES/FEE ADJUSTMENTS (PDF) – Public hearing to consider adoption of an ordinance adjusting fees for Sewer Maintenance District #1 (North Auburn Area), #2 (Granite Bay Area) and #3 (Auburn Folsom Road) and County Service Area #28, Zone #2 A3 (Sunset/Whitney), County Service Area #28, Zone #23 (Blue Canyon) and County Service Area #28, Zone #173 (Dry Creek), make a finding pursuant to Section 21080(b)(8), of the Public Resource Code, that the higher fees are derived directly from the cost of providing service and are necessary to meet operating expenses required for maintenance of service, and are therefore exempt from environmental review.
29. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY:
a. Planning Appeal/Planning Commission Denial of a Modification to a Conditional Use Permit and Appeal of Code Enforcement Fines (PCPMT20060224/PCPM20040013) Safe N Sound Storage Mitigated Negative Declaration (EIAQ-3702) (PDF) - Public hearing to consider the appeal from Mark Correnti for the denial of a Conditional Use Permit Modification requesting that Conditions 13 and 16 be modified as follows: 1) removal of the requirement that an easement be created for the access and maintenance of stormwater collection facilities (Condition 13); and 2) a modification of the frontage improvement requirement to reduce the sidewalk width of 6 feet to 4 feet (Condition 16). The property (APN 052-020-047) is 2.5 acres located at 12381 Locksley Lane, Auburn area, and currently zoned INP-Dc (Industrial Park, combining Design Scenic Corridor). The Board will consider adoption of a Mitigated Negative declaration for the project (EIAQ-3702).
b. Appeal of Code Violation Fees. Safe-N-Sound Boat and RV Storage (PDF):
1. Vote to consider whether to hear Code Enforcement fee appeal pursuant to Section 17.60.110.D3.
2. Consider appeal by Mark and Kathy Correnti of the Chief Building Official’s August 17, 2006 decision to require payment of Code Enforcement cost of four hundred twenty five dollars ($425.00) for the time period of October 20, 2004 through January 24, 2006.
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
30. TREASURER-TAX COLLECTOR (PDF) – Treasurer’s Statement for the month of October 2006.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2006/07 MEETING SCHEDULE:
December 19, 2006
January 09, 2007
January 23, 2007
February 06, 2007
February 20, 2007
AGENDA AVAILABLE VIA FAX (530) 889-6800
OR FROM PLACER COUNTY’S WEBSITE www.placer.ca.gov