COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 24, 2006
Bill Santucci, District 1, Chairman Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3 Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Edward “Ted” M. Gaines, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Vice Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you require disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
Granlibakken Conference Center & Lodge
Lake Room, 725 Granlibakken Road
Tahoe City, CA 96145
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Chairman Santucci.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Persons may address the Board on items not on this agenda. Please limit comments to 3 minutes per person since the time allocated for Public Comment is 15 minutes. If all comments cannot be heard within the 15-minute time limit, the Public Comment period will be taken up at the end of the regular session. The Board is not permitted to take any action on items addressed under Public Comment.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS:
CONSENT AGENDA: All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 1 thru 20) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item will be moved from the Agenda for discussion. The Board will convene as the Redevelopment Agency Board for Items #17.
1. WARRANT REGISTERS – Week ending September 8, 15, 22 and 29, 2006.
2. AGRICULTURE COMMISSIONER:
a. Resolution (PDF) authorizing the Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer to sign Contract #06-0028C with the State Department of Food and Agriculture, in an amount up to $4,672, for reimbursement for enforcing mandated programs for Pesticide Application Reporting.
b. Resolution (PDF) authorizing the Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer to sign Contract #06-0411 with the State Department of Food and Agriculture, in an amount up to $41,102, for reimbursement for enforcing mandated programs for Pest Detection/Trapping and Emergency Reports.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 2
OCTOBER 24, 2006
3. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Commendation honoring Alex Cushing (PDF) for his contribution to the development of Squaw Valley USA Resort.
b. Approve Special Meetings (PDF) to be held on Monday, October 30, and Monday, November 20, 2006.
4. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY (PDF) – County Counsel recommends rejection of the following claims:
a. 06-097, Cummings, Maureen, $1,000 (Property Damage).
b. 06-101, Dragotta, Carla, $1,000 (Personal Injury).
c. 06-102, Snider, George, Not Stated (Bodily Injury).
d. 06-108, Hoover, Barry, Not Stated, (Bodily Injury).
5. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY - County Counsel recommends rejection of the following Application for Leave to Present a Late Claim and its claim against Placer County:
a. 06-099, Wetterhahn, Sue, $2,000,000 (Personal Injury).
6. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Fish and Game Commission (PDF) - Approve appointment of John E. Maxwell to Seat #7 (Foresthill), as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
b. Mental Health, Alcohol and Drug Advisory Board (PDF) – Approve appointment of Mary E. Ascargorta to Seat #2 (Consumer District #1) and Supervisor Holmes to Seat #16 .
c. Placer County Resource Conservation District (PDF) - Approve reappointment of Chris Paul to Seat #1 (At Large).
d. Wastewater Advisory Committee - Approve reappointment of Mark Navo to Seat #5, Guy Ostenson to Seat #6, Bill Carpenter Jr. to Seat #7, Mike Broyer to Seat #9, Marc Lindbloom to Seat #10, Cathy Spence-Wells to Seat #11 and James McKevitt to Seat #12.
7. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/ENGINEERING & SURVEYING:
a. Contract (PDF) - Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign a contract with Parsons Brinckerhoff Construction Services, Inc., in an amount not to exceed $125,000, to provide project inspection services for various land development projects in western Placer County.
b. Green Hills Estates, Tract #919 (PDF) - Approve the final map, the Subdivision Improvement Agreement and authorize the recording of the project, located between Newcastle and Rattlesnake Road.
8. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
b. Approve participation in the Salvation Army’s Auburn Community Thanksgiving Day Dinner (PDF) by matching Placer County employee contributions dollar for dollar, up to a maximum of $1,500.
c. Approve the North Lake Tahoe Resort Association’s proposed expenditure (PDF) of budgeted infrastructure funds for Heritage Plaza Improvements and Regional Wayfinding Signage Request for Proposal, in an amount not to exceed $87,255.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 3
OCTOBER 24, 2006
d. Introduction of an ordinance creating the Deputy Director of Facility Services (PDF) , Environmental Engineering and Utility classification specification, deleting the Deputy Director of Facility Services, Solid Waste and Special Districts, and amending Chapter 3, Section 3.08.070 and 3.12.010, Appendix 1 and 3.12.030 relating to the Facility Services Department.
e. Resolution authorizing the Chairman (PDF) to sign the Memorandum of Understanding formalizing the relationship between the County and Placer County Air Pollution Control District.
f. Approve merit increase for Janet Fogarty (PDF) , Managing Accountant Auditor, from Grade 454 Step 1 to Grade 454, Step 2, retroactive to August 5, 2006.
9. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES (PDF) - Resolution adopting the National Incident Management System as official regulatory guidance for emergency incident and disaster preparedness, response, recovery and mitigation within Placer County.
10. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/REDEVELOPMENT (PDF) - Adopt a resolution and findings in order to provide $15,000, to finance the construction of public improvements for the Heritage Plaza Project located in the North Lake Tahoe Redevelopment Project area.
11. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Air Pollution Control District Lease Agreement (PDF) - Approve agreement with the Air Pollution Control District for a portion of the County’s Community Development Resource Center, located at 3091 County Center Drive, Auburn.
b. Purchase of Sewer Inspection Truck (PDF) - Approve budget revision to the FY 2006/07 Special Districts Budget, transferring $15,000 from the “Appropriation for Contingencies” Account to the “Fixed Asset, Equipment” Account, to allow an expenditure of up to $185,000 for the purchase of one Sewer Inspection Truck and authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the contract documents for a used 2006 inspection truck from WECO Industries, in an amount not to exceed $185,000.
c. Recreation Area #3, Colfax Area (PDF) – Approve the use of Park Dedication Fees, in the amount of $75,000, for restrooms at Colfax's Downtown Park and authorize the Chairman to execute the use agreement.
d. Sewer Assessment District 90 Fees (PDF) - Adopt Minute Order regarding the Sewer Assessment District 90 Fee applied to density increases which directs staff to cease collection of the fee; freeze the reimbursement payment per lot at the current level, $4,881; and terminate the reimbursement program when specific conditions are met.
e. Trenchless Technology Sewer Rehabilitation (PDF) , Project #40203/FY 2006/07 - Approve plans and specifications and authorize staff to solicit bids; adopt a resolution authorizing the Facility Services Director to execute the resulting construction contract, in an amount not to exceed $126,500, upon County Counsel’s review and approval, and approve any required change orders.
12. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Community Clinics (PDF) - Approve agreement with North Lake Tahoe La Comunidad Unida, dba Kings Beach Family Resource Center, from July 1, 2006 through June 30, 2007, in the amount not to exceed $45,000, for participation in the Healthy Families Rural Health Demonstration Project administered by Delta Dental and authorize the Health & Human Services Director to sign the agreement and subsequent amendments.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 4
OCTOBER 24, 2006
b. Human Services (PDF) - Approve addendum to the Community Services Block Grant Contract with the Salvation Army (CN005399) for Calendar Year 2006, increasing the award from $30,356 to $45,356, for the emergency shelter, transitional housing and emergency services, and authorize the Health & Human Services Director to sign the amendment.
13. PERSONNEL (PDF) - Approve four (4) annual resolutions for the California Public Employees Retirement System, Health Benefits Division, which adopts the 2007 employer health insurance contribution levels effective January 1, 2007 for all Placer County employees and retirees.
14. PERSONNEL/CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION (PDF) - Introduction of an ordinance, amending Placer County code to approve Placer County Code to approve classification revisions and reclassification of positions in the Office of Emergency Services, Sheriff’s Department and Facility Services Department to establish the probationary period for Deputy Sheriff Trainee at one year.
15. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Purchase Order (PDF) , Pre-printed Envelopes/Central Services – Renew blanket purchase order with Cenveo, in the maximum amount of $65,000.
b. Purchase Order #13238 (PDF) , Professional Voice & Data Cabling Services/Telecommunications – Renew blanket purchase order with Sierra West Communications, in the maximum amount of $210,000.
16. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. California Tahoe Conservancy Site Improvement (PDF) /Acquisition Grant Application – Resolution approving preparation of the grant application for the West Sunnyside Erosion Control Project and authorizing the Public Works Director to execute the document for FY2006/07 grant funding cycle.
b. City of Rocklin Transit Service Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) (PDF) – Authorize the Board to execute a MOU for FY2006/07 with the City of Rocklin to pay $530,111, for the County to provide transit service to the City of Rocklin.
c. Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Authorization (PDF) – Resolution authorizing the Public Works Director or his designee to execute and file applications for Federal assistance on behalf of the Placer County Public Works Department (the Applicant); execute and file the required certifications, assurances and agreements on behalf of the Applicant binding the Applicant; and execute grant agreements and cooperative agreements with FTA on behalf of the Applicant.
d. Road Maintenance Division Budget/Fixed Asset Revision (PDF) – Approve budget revision to appropriate $17,000 within existing Road Maintenance budget, moving it from Account 2481 (PC Acquisition) to Account 4451 (Fixed Assets) and approve the addition of a new computer server to the Master Fixed Asset List.
17. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY:
a. Adopt a resolution and Findings (PDF) authorizing the execution of a memorandum of understanding with the Tahoe City Public Utility District, in order to provide $15,000 to finance the construction of public improvements for the Heritage Plaza Project, and authorize the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director or designee to execute all agreements subject to Agency Counsel review.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 5
OCTOBER 24, 2006
b. Approve a services agreement (PDF) between the Placer County Redevelopment Agency and the North Tahoe Business Association, in the amount of $60,000, for implementation of the Main Street Program, and authorize the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director or Designee, to execute the contract, subject to the review of Agency Counsel.
c. Approve a services agreement (PDF) between the Placer County Redevelopment Agency and the Tahoe City Downtown Association, in the amount of $60,000, for implementation of the Main Street Program, and authorize the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director or Designee, to execute the contract subject to the review of Agency Counsel.
18. REVENUE SHARING (PDF) – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approve appropriation, in the amount of $1,000, in Revenue Sharing monies to the Roseville Chamber of Commerce, Annual Holiday Parade, as requested Supervisor Santucci and Supervisor Gaines, ($500 each).
19. SHERIFF (PDF) - Approve a grant from the U.S. Department of Justice, in the amount of $246,807 for continuation Phase III of the Law Enforcement Radio Infrastructure and Upgrade and authorize the County Executive Officer and Sheriff-Coroner-Marshal to execute the grant documents and authorize the Purchasing Manager to execute all related purchasing documents, including three antenna tower and 28 digital trunking radios. The grant has been included in the Final 2006/07 Budget.
20. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR (PDF) – Ratify temporary borrowing to date and approve continued temporary borrowing of Treasury funds in the estimated amount of $5,500,000 for FY 2006/07, by the Western Placer Unified School District as prescribed by the California State Constitution and approve a variance from Resolution #96-22, which prohibits temporary borrowing while an agency has outstanding proceeds from the issuance of short-term debt.
***End of Consent Agenda***
DEPARTMENT ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED BEFORE NOON, AS TIME ALLOWS
21. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. McKinney Rubicon Trail (PDF) – Resolution declaring the “McKinney Rubicon Trail” as a non-maintained public four-wheel drive trail.
b. Tahoe City Transit Center Professional Services Agreement #73257 (PDF) – Resolution authorizing the Chairman to sign and approve an agreement with WRNS Studio, in the amount of $350,580, for architectural and civil design services, and authorize the Public Works Director to approve and sign future amendments up to $35,058.
22. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/REDEVELOPMENT (Swiss Mart/Service Station) (PDF) – Adopt a resolution making specific findings required by Health and Safety Code, Section 33445, for the purchase of 8797 North Lake Boulevard, Kings Beach, in the amount of $520,000, subject to review by County Counsel.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 6
OCTOBER 24, 2006
ADJOURN AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND
CONVENE AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD
23. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD (Swiss Mart/Service Station) (PDF) – Adopt a resolution and Findings authorizing the purchase of 8797 North Lake Boulevard, Kings Beach (Assessor Parcel Numbers 090-192-041 and 090-192-055), in the amount of $520,000, plus closing costs, and authorize the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director or Designee to sign all documents subject to Agency Counsel review.
ADJOURN AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD AND
RECONVENE AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
24. SHERIFF (PDF) – Approve the purchase of equipment from the Homeland Security Grant Program and HR 2389, in an amount not-to-exceed $279,400, modification to the Master Fixed Asset List for equipment in excess of $5,000 per unit, the resulting budget revision and authorize the Purchasing Manager to execute the purchase documents.
PERSONNEL SESSION/LABOR RELATIONS
Pursuant to the cited authority (all references are to the Government Code), the Board of Supervisors will hold a closed session to discuss the following listed items. A report of any action taken will be presented prior to adjournment.
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(1) Existing Litigation:
(a) Meadow Vista Protection vs. Chevreaux Aggregates, Inc.; County of Placer; County of Placer Planning Department; and DOES 1 through 50, inclusive, Placer County Superior Court Case Number: SCV19614.
(2) Anticipated Litigation:
(a) Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to subdivision (b) of Government Code §54956.9: two potential cases.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR
(a) Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: PPEO/DSA/Management
CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 7
OCTOBER 24, 2006
TIMED ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE TIME SHOWN:
26. PERSONNEL (PDF) – Recognition and presentation of awards to employees with 20 or more years of County service, with a reception to follow.
27. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS (PDF) – Presentation of a Commendation honoring Alex Cushing for his contribution to the development of Squaw Valley USA Resort.
28. PUBLIC WORKS/KINGS BEACH COMMERCIAL CORE IMPROVEMENT PROJECT (PDF) – Provide update on the project including environmental document preparation, schedule and funding.
29. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/APPEAL/DESIGN REVIEW BUSHWACKER TREE SERVICE (PDF) - Public hearing to consider an appeal by Bruce Yankton and Tahoe Truckee Sierra Disposal Company of the Planning Commission’s denial of an appeal of staff’s Design/Site Review approval of a Design/Site Review related to a tree service business. The property (APN #091-041-009 and 090-041-028) is located 710 Wolf Street, Kings Beach, and is currently zoned PAS26 (Kings Beach Industrial Community Plan -Commercial Public Service).
30. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/GENERAL PLAN AMENDMENT REZONING/WILDEROTTER (PREAT20060138) MITIGATED NEGATIVE DECLARATION (PDF) - Public hearing to consider a request from Kaufman Planning, on behalf of Dave Wilderotter, for the approval of a General Plan Amendment and Rezoning to redesignate the subject property from the Plan Area 001B (Tahoe City Industrial), into Special Area #1 of Plan Area 002 (Fairway Tract). This change would allow for the future development of multi-family residential development on the property, as a subsequent project. The property (APN 094-010-007) is located at 774 Jackpine Street in Tahoe City. A Mitigated Negative Declaration has been prepared for consideration by the Board of Supervisors.
31. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/ZONING TEXT AMENDMENT MODIFICATION OF SECTION 135.23 OF THE SQUAW VALLEY LAND USE ORDINANCE (PZTA T2006 0328) (PDF) - Public hearing to consider a request by Michael Goss, representing the Squaw Valley Business Association, to consider an amendment to Section 135.23 of the Squaw Valley Land Use Ordinance (Signs), to allow for a new “wayfinding” program for the Squaw Valley area. The purpose of the program is to provide for a new sign program to direct visitors to Squaw Valley to key destination locations within the Squaw Valley area.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 8
OCTOBER 24, 2006
32. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/NORTHSTAR COMMUNITY SERVICES DISTRICT (CSD) (PDF) – Resolution authorizing the Chairman to sign a property tax sharing agreement with the Northstar CSD, pursuant to the annexation of the Northstar Highlands project territory. As a result of the annexation, the territory will be within the Northstar CSD, with the District providing, fire, road maintenance and snow removal services.
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
33. SHERIFF (PDF) – Inmate Welfare Fund Annual Reports for FY 2005/06.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2006 MEETING SCHEDULE:
November 07, 2006
December 05, 2006
December 19, 2006