COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 12, 2006
Bill Santucci, District 1, Chairman Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3 Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Edward “Ted” M. Gaines, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Vice Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in
its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Supervisor Kranz.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Persons may address the Board on items not on this agenda. Please limit comments to 3 minutes per person since the time allocated for Public Comment is 15 minutes. If all comments cannot be heard within the 15-minute time limit, the Public Comment period will be taken up at the end of the regular session. The Board is not permitted to take any action on items addressed under Public Comment.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS:
CONSENT AGENDA: All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 1 thru 14) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item will be moved from the Agenda for discussion. The Board will convene as the Redevelopment Agency Board for Item #11.
1. AUDITOR/CONTROLLER (PDF) - Resolution adopting 2006/07 property tax rates for voter-approved indebtedness.
2. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Resolution congratulating Victoria (Vicki) Spannagel (PDF) , Client Services Program Manager, Community Health Division, Health and Human Services Department, upon her retirement after 26 years of service.
b. Resolution proclaiming September 2006 (PDF) as National Alcohol & Drug Prevention, Treatment and Recovery Month.
BOARD OF SUPERVISOR PAGE 2
SEPTEMBER 12, 2006
c. Commendation for Charles (Charlie) Dill (PDF) recognizing him for his implementation, dedication and commitment as the Manager of the Placer Mosquito Abatement District and to congratulate him upon his retirement, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
d. Proclamation recognizing September (PDF) as National Youth Court Month in Placer County, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
e. Approve minutes of July 24 & 25, 2006 (PDF).
3. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Placer County Older Adult Advisory Commission - Approve reappointment of Leonette Francia to Seat #5 (District 5), as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
b. Squaw Valley Design Review Committee - Approve reappointment of Roger T. Beck to Seat #1, Judy Carini to Seat #2 and Peter Klaussen to Seat #3, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
c. Veterans/Veterans Advisory Council (PDF) - Approve appointment of Fred Littman, American Legion District 31, effective May 13, 2006.
4. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/ENGINEERING & SURVEYING:
a. Land Development Projects (PDF) – Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign a contract with Blackburn Consulting, in an amount not to exceed $125,000, for project inspection services for various land development projects in Western Placer County.
b. Land Development Projects (PDF) – Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign a contract with Psomas, in an amount not to exceed $125,000, for project inspection services for various land development projects in Western Placer County.
c. Mt. Judah Residential, Tract #940 (Sugar Bowl Ski Resort) (PDF) - Approve the final map, Subdivision Improvement Agreement and authorize the recording.
d. Monte Verde Estates, Phase 2, Tract #924, Project #8034 (PDF) – Accept the improvements as complete, reduce the Faithful Performance to 25% and Labor and Materials to 50%, holding for six months or longer if claims exist, adopt a resolution accepting the following roads into the County Maintained Mileage System: Ampezo Placer, Portofino Drive, Portofino Court, La Brosa Place, Santa Croce Court, Porta Venari Court and Rosamo Lane.
e. Northstar Village, Phase 3 & 4, Tract #946 (PDF) - Approve the final map, Subdivision Improvement Agreement and authorize the recording.
5. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES (PDF) - Resolution approving the FY 2006/07 Placer Hills Fire Protection District Capital Facilities Plan Update.
6. FACILITY SERVICES (PDF) - Approve the purchase of a new sign machine for the Building Maintenance Division, in the amount of $8,500; approve budget revision moving appropriations within the Building Maintenance Division Budget and approve the addition to the Master Fixed Asset List.
7. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/ADULT SYSTEM OF CARE:
a. Approve a three year consultant agreement with Minkoff and Cline, d.b.a. ZiaLogic (PDF) , in the amount of $242,150, for mental health, substance abuse and child protective services and authorize the Health & Human Services Director to sign subsequent amendments.
BOARD OF SUPERVISOR PAGE 3
SEPTEMBER 12, 2006
b. Approve grant with the State Department of Alcohol and Drug Programs, Drug Court Partnership Program (PDF) for FY 2006/07, in the amount of $168,360, and authorize Maureen Bauman, Adult System of Care Director, to sign the grant and subsequent amendments in her capacity as County Alcohol and Drug Administrator.
8. PERSONNEL (PDF) - Introduction of an ordinance amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010 – technical adjustment to Allocation of Positions to Departments to the Administration and Management Division, within the Facility Services Department.
9. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Agreement, Network Firewall Hardware & Software Maintenance/Information Technology (PDF) - Renew with Fujitsu Transaction Solutions, in the maximum amount of $63,882.83.
b. Bid #9596, Fresh Produce/Probation (PDF) – Award to Pro Pacific Fresh, in the maximum amount of $70,000.
c. Blanket Purchase Order #13014, Cisco Products & Services/Telecommunications (PDF) - Renew with AT&T/SBC Datacomm, in the not-to-exceed amount of $235,000.
d. Blanket Purchase Order #13249, Magnesium Hydroxide/Facility Services (PDF) – Renew purchase order with Hill Brothers Chemical Company, in the maximum amount of $175,000.
e. Change Orders, Asphalt Concrete/Public Works (PDF) – Approve change orders to blanket purchase orders with Vulcan Materials and Teichert Aggregates, in the aggregate amount of $100,000, increasing the maximum amount of the blanket purchase orders to $250,000 and $190,000 respectively.
f. Purchase Order, Fire Sprinkler System Maintenance & Repair/Facility Services (PDF) – Renew with Accurate Fire Protection, in the maximum amount of $150,000.
10. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Abandonment of a Portion of a Multi-Purpose Easement/Winchester Subdivision (PDF) (Meadow Vista) Resolution to abandon a portion of a Multi-Purpose Easement on Lot 19, Winchester Subdivision, Phase 1.
b. Abandonment and Relocation of a Portion of an Emergency Access Easement/Siller Ranch (Tahoe) (PDF) – Resolution to abandon a portion of an Emergency Access Easement.
c. Professional Services Agreement #73244, Kings Beach Commercial Core Improvement Project (PDF) – Resolution authorizing the Chairman to sign PSA #73244, Amendment #1, with Jones and Stokes Associates, Inc., in the amount of $34,822, and authorizing the Public Works Director to approve and sign future amendments up to $3,500.
11. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD (PDF) - Resolution authorizing a loan agreement with Foothills Habitat for Humanity to develop two affordable housing units, and authorize the Chief Assistant CEO–Redevelopment Director, or designee, to execute any related documents subject to agency counsel review.
BOARD OF SUPERVISOR PAGE4
SEPTEMBER 12, 2006
12. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approve an appropriation, in the total amount of $1,250 in Revenue Sharing monies (PDF) , to the Auburn Placer Performing Arts Center for the Auburn Bluegrass Fest, as requested by Supervisor Holmes ($1,000) and Supervisor Gaines ($250).
b. Approve an appropriation, in the total amount of $1,750 in Revenue Sharing monies (PDF) , to the Lincoln Chamber of Commerce for the 5th Annual Lincoln Showcase 2006 event, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt ($1,500) and Supervisor Gaines ($250).
c. Approve an appropriation, in the total amount of $1,000 in Revenue Sharing monies (PDF) , to the Old Town Auburn Preservation Society for the Gold Country Medical History Museum renovation project, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
d. Approve an appropriation, in the total amount of $950 in Revenue Sharing monies (PDF) , to Sierra College for the production of a documentary film titled Gold, Granite, and Grit: A Quarry, a Town, and the Building of California featuring the history of Northern California quarries, as requested by Supervisor Santucci ($200), Supervisor Weygandt ($250), Supervisor Holmes ($250) and Supervisor Gaines ($250).
a. Authorize the Sheriff to accept a grant, in the amount of $20,000 (PDF), execute a contract with the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) and Office of Traffic Safety for the Minor Decoy Program and approve budget revision to the Final Budget appropriating funds.
b. Approve out-of-state travel for Sgt. Mark Reed and Deputy Mark Bracco (PDF) to attend the FBI Hazardous Device School, held in Hunstville, Alabama, for six weeks (October 1, 2006 through November 10, 2006). The housing and transportation costs total an estimated $10,300. The actual cost of the school is paid by the FBI.
c. Approve the helicopter engine rebuild with San Joaquin Helicopters of Rancho Murietta (PDF) , in the amount of $105,436.52, plus engine component transportation costs contingent on approval by Risk Management as to specific insurance requirements and authorize the Sheriff to execute the contract based on review and approval by County Counsel.
14. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR (PDF) – Resolution authorizing the Treasurer-Tax Collector to conduct the Tax Defaulted Land Sale by Agreement on December 1, 2006.
***End of Consent Agenda***
DEPARTMENT ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED BEFORE NOON, AS TIME ALLOWS
15. COUNTY EXECUTIVE (PDF) - Approve and authorize the Chairman to sign a letter of response to the findings and recommendations contained in the FY 2005/06 Final Report of the Placer County Grand Jury concerning the Tahoe Justice Center or provide other direction to the County Executive Office regarding the response.
BOARD OF SUPERVISOR PAGE 5
SEPTEMBER 12, 2006
16. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Children’s Emergency Shelter Project #4677 (PDF) - Approve Consultant Services Agreement with URS Corporation, in an amount not to exceed $265,000, for professional construction management services for the project, located in the County Government Center in Auburn.
b. Loomis Library Expansion, Project #4705 (PDF) - Award the bid for the construction of the project located at 6050 Library Drive in Loomis, to SW Allen Construction, Inc., in the amount of $299,475, and upon County Counsel’s review and approval of required bonds and insurance, authorize the Facility Services Director to execute the contract and any required change orders.
17. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Adult System of Care (PDF) - Approve amendment to Contract #11902 with California Forensic Medical Group, extending the contract term for one year from October 1, 2006 through September 30, 2007, increasing the rates for the provision of Inmate Medical Services adding funding estimated at $2,907,000 for this third year of the agreement.
b. Children’s System of Care (PDF) - Approve an umbrella contract to facilitate payment to Systems of Care mental health private network providers, authorize the Auditor’s Office to establish a payment ceiling, in an amount not to exceed $850,000, and authorize Health & Human Services to amend the list of providers as necessary from July 1, 2006 through June 30, 2007.
ADJOURN AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND
CONVENE AS THE REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD
18. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD (PDF) - Report on the Affordable Housing Homeownership Opportunity and Selection Lottery Process for Morrison Homes, Atwood Ranch III, in Auburn.
ADJOURN AS THE REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD AND
RECONVENE AS THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
19. COUNTY COUNSEL/ADJOURN TO CLOSED SESSION (PDF):
PERSONNEL SESSION/LABOR RELATIONS
Pursuant to the cited authority (all references are to the Government Code), the Board of Supervisors will hold a closed session to discuss the following listed items. For Item Numbers B (a) and (b) the Placer County Board of Supervisors will meet as the Placer County Redevelopment Agency. A report of any action taken will be presented prior to adjournment.
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(1) Existing Litigation:
(a) Deborah Doerfler-Casner vs. County of Placer, U.S.D.C. Eastern District Case No.: CIV.S-03-1864 WBS KJM.
(b) Bickford Ranch Heritage Coalition of WPCARE vs. County of Placer, Placer County Superior Court Case Number: SCV12793, Court of Appeal, Third Appellate District Case No.: C047630.
(c) Town of Loomis, vs. Placer County, Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV14231.
(d) Joseph Lopez, WCAB Claim, Claim No.: RDG0121599.
BOARD OF SUPERVISOR PAGE 6
SEPTEMBER 12, 2006
(B) §54956.8 – CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATOR
(a) Property: APN: 090-192-041 and 090-192-055, Negotiating Parties: Placer County Redevelopment Agency and Andco Farms, Inc., and Larry Odbert, Owner.
Under Negotiation: Price, terms of payment and conditions of acquisition.
(b) Property: APN: 090-074-002, Negotiating Parties: Placer County Redevelopment Agency and Raymond J. Moshy, Leslie C. Moshy, and Steven N. Kliegman and Dierdre L. Henry, Trustees of the Kliegman Henry Family Living Trust.
Under Negotiation: Price, terms of payment and conditions of acquisition.
(C) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR
(a) Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: PPEO/DSA/Management
CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
TIMED ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE TIME SHOWN:
20. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS/HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES (PDF) - Resolution proclaiming September 2006 as National Alcohol & Drug Prevention, Treatment and Recovery Month.
21. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS (PDF) – Presentation of a commendation for Charles (Charlie) Dill recognizing him for his implementation, dedication and commitment as the Manager of the Placer Mosquito Abatement District and to congratulate him upon his retirement, requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
22. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS (PDF) – Presentation of a proclamation recognizing September as National Youth Court month in Placer County, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
23. SHERIFF/CITIZENS OPTION FOR PUBLIC SAFETY (PDF) – Public hearing to review and approve the expenditures recommended for the Sheriff-Coroner-Marshal and District Attorney from the Citizens Option for Public Safety Supplemental Law Enforcement Services Fund.
24. FACILITY SERVICES/COUNTY SEWER MAINTENANCE DISTRICT #3 (PDF) – Public hearing to consider adoption of a resolution annexing property owned by Gerald Hawks, APN 036-140-005, located on Lake Forest Drive, Loomis, into the district.
BOARD OF SUPERVISOR PAGE 7
SEPTEMBER 12, 2006
25. PLANNING/GIARRITTA – VARIANCE APPEAL (VAA-4274) (PDF) – Public hearing to consider an appeal from Mark Giarritta of the Planning Commission’s denial of a variance to reduce the front (eastern) setback requirement of 50 foot from edge of easement, to 20 foot to bring into conformance a recently constructed, illegally sited, single family dwelling. The property (APN 099-190-061) is located at the end of Dusty Road in the Colfax area, and is currently zoned F-B-100-PD-0.4 (Farm combining Building Site Size of 2.3 acres minimum combining Planned Unit Development, 0.4 units per acre).
26. COUNTY EXECUTIVE (PDF) – It is recommended that your Board convene the required public hearing on the FY 2006/07 Final Budget; take public comment on the budget and receive any requests for additional funding; if necessary, direct staff to make written changes to the budget before close of the public hearing; close the public hearing; and direct staff to prepare the resolution for presentation at the next Board meeting to adopt the Proposed Budget including the following revisions:
(1) Approve $50,196,399 net allocations in the County Budget (Attachment A) (PDF); and
(2) Approve allocations for proprietary funds (Attachment B (PDF)) ; and
(3) Approve items listed on the Master Fixed Asset List (Attachment C (PDF)) ; and
(4) Approve the recommended Position Allocation listing (Attachment D (PDF)); and
(5) Approve reserve provisions and cancellations for county funds (Attachment E) (PDF); and
(6) Approve allocations in Board of Supervisor governed special districts (Attachment F (PDF));
(7) Authorize the Auditor-Controller to make technical, non-substantive budget adjustments to the Final Budget.
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
27. FACILITY SERVICES (PDF) - One-Day Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events in Colfax and Foresthill.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2006 MEETING SCHEDULE:
September 26, 2006
October 10, 2006
October 23, 2006 (Tahoe)
October 24, 2006 (Tahoe)
November 07, 2006
December 05, 2006
December 19, 2006
AGENDA AVAILABLE VIA FAX (530) 889-6800
OR FROM PLACER COUNTY’S WEBSITE www.placer.ca.gov