COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, APRIL 10, 2012
Jack Duran, District 1 Holly Heinzen, Interim County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3, Vice Chairman Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
Kirk Uhler, District 4
Jennifer Montgomery, District 5, Chairwoman
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Board after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection at the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors Office, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, during normal business hours. Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Anthony La Bouff, County Counsel.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT - None
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS - None
TIMED ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE TIME SHOWN
1. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of Resolution 2012-79 commending commending Katherine J. Martinis for 11 years of dedicated public service as the Placer County Auditor-Controller.
2. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of a Proclamation to KidsFirst, declaring April 2012 as, “Child Abuse Prevention Month.”
3. SHERIFF – Approve the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the Placer County Sheriff-Coroner-Marshal and the Placer County Superior Court for Court security. The MOU period is from July 1, 2011 through June 30, 2013 in the amount not-to-exceed $3,812,705 for FY 2012-2013.
Item continued as requested by the Sheriff Department. MOTION Holmes/Weygandt/Unanimous
DEPARTMENT ITEMS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ACTION AS TIME ALLOWS
4. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS - Approved minutes of March 20, 2012, Supervisor Uhler absent.
MOTION Holmes/Weygandt/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Uhler abstained)
5. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/Temporary Outdoor Event Permit Fee Waiver Program for Temporary Agricultural Events – Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending County Code Chapter 2, Article 2.116, Administrative Fees, Section 2.116.050 approving a fee waiver program allowing the waiver of Temporary Outdoor Event permit fees for the processing of temporary agricultural event permits.
6. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. North Lake Tahoe Resort Association - Approved the North Lake Tahoe Resort Association’s proposed expenditure of up to $3,002,000 for various capital and transportation operational improvements. MOTION Holmes/Duran/Unanimous
b. Fiscal & Policy Workshops:
a. A presentation regarding the Placer County Library budget and economic challenges facing the Library.
b. A presentation regarding the Placer County Fire Protection Services and related economic challenges.
7. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES - Resolution 2012-88 adopted approving the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) Cooperative Fire Protection Agreement for Fiscal Year 2012/13 in the amount of $8,605,211 and authorize the Chairman to sign.
8. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. County Service Area 28, Zone 24, Applegate Sewer - The Board took the following action:
1. Resolution 2012-89 adopted authorizing a loan from the Solid Waste Management Enterprise Fund (SWMEF) to County Service Area 28, Zone 24, Applegate Sewer (Applegate CSA) in an amount not to exceed $300,000 to provide operating funds for FY 2011/12 and 2012/13, and
2. Approved a Budget Revision to the Fiscal Year 2011/12 Final Budget appropriating $100,000 of the above-referenced loan to the Applegate CSA.
b. Applegate Regional Sewer Pipeline Project - The Board took the following action:
1. Awarded the bid to T&S Construction Co. Inc., from Sacramento, California in the amount of $4,885,960 and Resolution 2012-90 adopted authorizing the Director of Facility Services, or his designee, upon approval of County Counsel and Risk Management, to execute the construction contract for the Project and approve any required change orders consistent with the County Purchasing Manual and Section 20142 of the Public Contract Code in amount not to exceed $5,280,000, which includes the contract amount plus an approximate 8% contingency.
2. Resolution 2012-91 adopted authorizing a loan from the Solid Waste Management Enterprise Fund (SWMEF) to the Applegate Regional Sewer Capital Project 04825 in the amount of $4,600,000.
3. Approved a Budget Revision appropriating the loan amount to the Applegate Regional Sewer Capital Project 04825.
c. Auburn Animal Shelter – Approved the First Amendment to the Agreement with INDIGO Hammond & Playle Architects, LLP for design/build delivery and authorized the Chair to execute the Amendment, increasing the contract by $168,300 for a total cost not-to-exceed of $363,300.
MOTION Weytgandt/Duran/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Uhler temporarily absent)
d. Hidden Falls Regional Park Bridges, Project #04717 - The Board took the following actions:
1. Awarded the Base Bid and Alternates #1 and #2 for the Hidden Falls Regional Park Coon Creek Bridge Project, Project No. 4717 to Westcon Construction Corp., in the amount of $1,698,090 and upon approval of County Counsel and Risk Management.
2. Authorized the Director of Facility Services to execute a contract and any required change orders consistent with the County Purchasing Manual and Section 20142 of the Public Contract Code.
3. Approved a Budget Revision increasing revenues in the amount of $300,000 from the Capital Projects Fund Account, Project No. 04907, and $60,000 from the Capital Projects Fund Account, Project No. 04720; and increasing appropriations in the Capital Projects Account, Project No. 04717.
MOTION Weygandt/Duran/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Montgomery temporarily absent)
9. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
(A) §54956.9 – CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
1. Existing Litigation:
(a) California Clean Energy Committee, et al. v. County of Placer, et al., Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-0030337 – Counsel gave a report to the Board and the Board gave direction.
(b) Sierra Club, et al. v. Tahoe Regional Planning Agency, et al., U.S.D.C. Eastern District Case No.: 2:12-CV-00044-WBS-CKD - Counsel gave a report to the Board and the Board gave direction.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATORS – The Board received a brief update on the status of that matter from its Labor Negotiators regarding PPEO
(a) Agency designated representatives: Holly Heinzen, Nancy Nittler, Therese Leonard, Anthony J. La Bouff
Employee organization: PPEO.
(C) §54957 - PUBLIC EMPLOYMENT/PUBLIC EMPLOYEE APPOINTMENT – The Board continued to review applications for the County Executive Officer position.
Title: Review applications for the position of County Executive Officer
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 4-7) – Moved Item 16b for discussion. Consent Agenda approved as amended with action as indicated. The Board convened as the In Home Supportive Services Public Authority for Item #17.
10. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Approved a Proclamation declaring June 2012 “California Avocado Month”.
b. Approved a Proclamation in support of the “Mosquito and West Nile Virus Awareness Week, April 22–28 2012.
c. Approved minutes of March 13, 2012.
d. Resolution 2012-79 adopted commending Katherine J. Martinis for 11 years of dedicated public service as the Placer County Auditor-Controller.
11. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following claims, as recommended by the offices of County Counsel and Risk Management:
a. 12-025, Garner, Donald, Personal Injury, $425,000.
12. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Approved the appointments of Ron McIntyre, Marcus Lo Duca, Jeffrey Foltz, Randi Swisley and Gene Thorpe representing public at large members of the Oversight Board of the Successor Agency of the former Redevelopment Agencies of the County of Placer and the cities of Roseville, Rocklin, Auburn and Lincoln respectively.
b. Squaw Valley Design Review Committee - Accepted the resignation of Roger Beck from Seat #1, effective March 30, 2012.
c. Roseville Veterans Memorial Hall Board –. Approved the reappointment of James Berg to American Legion Post 169, William Donaldson to FRA Branch 230, Monty Montoya to Vietnam Vets of Am. Ch. 500, John Schance to American Legion Post 169 (Alternate), and Donald Chapman to FRA Branch 230 (Alternate), and approved the appointment of Charles Peterson to Supervisor Alternate.
d. Veterans Advisory Council - Approved the appointment of Robert Ryan, effective immediately.
e. North Tahoe Regional Advisory Council – Accepted the resignation of Michael Lefrancois from Seat #6, effective April 2, 2012.
13. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/ZONING ORDINANCE – Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, to extend the term of Ordinance No. 5641-B that temporarily allows for the placement of certain signs that would otherwise be prohibited by the Zoning Ordinance and temporarily removes the maximum timeframes in the Zoning Ordinance for banners and window signs, for a period of one additional year.
14. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/REDEVELOPMENT - Resolution 2012-80 adopted declaring that the former Placer County Redevelopment Agency transferred only eligible and proper assets to Placer County or to any other public entity during the period of January 1, 2011 through January 31, 2012; and designated the Redevelopment Department Director as “Successor Agency Officer” for purpose of Response to Administrative Information Requests from State Officials and the County Auditor-Controller pursuant to the Dissolution Act.
15. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Rocklin Branch Library Tenant Improvement Project #4702 - Resolution 2012-81 adopted accepting the New Rocklin Branch Library Tenant Improvements, Project 4702, located at 4890 Granite Drive, Rocklin, CA, as complete and authorized the Director of Facility Services, or his designee, to execute and record the Notice of Completion.
b. Aitken Ranch Conservation Easement - Directed the Director of Facility Services, or his designee, to finalize extinguishment of the County’s right, title and interest in the Aitken Ranch property through a quitclaim to Morgan Family Management, LLC, successor in interest to Wildlands, Inc.
c. Seniors First, Inc, - Resolution 2012-82 adopted delegating authority to the Director of Facility Services, or his designee, to negotiate and execute a new lease agreement between the County of Placer and Seniors First, Inc., for occupancy at the Placer County Government Center, based on the Material Terms, and subject to approval by County Counsel and Risk Management.
d. Granite Bay Landscape - Approved a Budget Revision to cancel $25,000 in CSA 28 Zone 120, Granite Bay Landscape CSA Reserves, and appropriate $25,000 to the Granite Bay Landscape operating Account 2549-Construction Projects to fund improvements to the landscaping in the Douglas Boulevard median.
e. Mid-Western Placer Regional Sewer Project, Clean Water State Revolving Fund Financial Assistance Application - Resolution 2012-92 adopted authorizing the Director of Facility Services to apply for Clean Water State Revolving Funding, (CWSRF) for the Mid-Western Placer Regional Sewer Project; specifically:
1. Designated the Director of Facility Services, or his designee, as the authorized representative to sign and file for a Financial Assistance Application from the State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB);
2. Authorized the Director of Facility Services, or his designee, to certify that Sewer Maintenance District 1 (SMD 1) has and will comply with all applicable State and Federal statutory and regulatory requirements related to any financing or financial assistance received from the SWSRF; and,
3. Authorized the Director of Facility Services, or his designee, to negotiate and execute a financial assistance agreement and any amendments or change orders thereto upon review and approval by Risk Management and County Counsel, and certify financing agreement disbursements.
f. Mid-Western Placer Regional Sewer Project - Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign Change Order 2 to Blanket Purchase Order #19204 with Capital Public Finance Group, LLC for negotiation services and financial analysis related to the Mid-Western Placer Regional Sewer Project. This change order will increase the maximum compensation by $100,000 to a revised not to exceed limit of $220,000.
g. Sewer Maintenance District #3, De-Nitrification Project 04822 – Resolution 2012-83 adopted accepting the Project as complete, and authorized the Director of Facility Services, or his designee, to execute and record the Notice of Completion.
16. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Children’s System of Care - Approved an agreement with Lynn R. DeLapp to develop and implement an evaluation process for programs funded through the Mental Health Services Act from February 1, 2012 to June 30, 2013 in an amount not to exceed $90,000, and authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign the agreement and subsequent amendments up to 10% of the original contract amount.
b. MOVED FOR DISCUSSION Human Services/Community Services Block Grant Funding of Delegate Agencies - The Placer County Community Services Commission requests that the Board take the following actions:
a. Approve contracts totaling $92,330 with PEACE for Families ($33,000), Roseville Home Start ($33,000), and Tahoe SAFE Alliance ($26,330) as recommended by the Commission subsequent to a Grant Application for award of the 2012 Community Services Block Grant (CSBG), and authorize the Director of Health and Human Services to sign the resulting contracts and subsequent amendments up to 10 percent of the contract amounts.
b. Approve Contract Amendment CN5017-A with The Gathering Inn, increasing total funding by $7,800 to provide additional Extreme Weather Shelter Funds and Assertive Community Treatment & Shelter Support, for a new revised total amount of $51,468, and authorize the Director of Health and Human Services to sign the resulting amendment.
c. Authorize the Director of Health and Human Services to renew the above contracts in calendar year 2013 at the same dollar amounts, contingent upon satisfactory performance in calendar year 2012 and continued availability of CSBG funding, and to authorize amendments up to 10% of the individual 2013 contract amounts.
17. IN-HOME SUPPORTIVE SERVICES PUBLIC AUTHORITY - The In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) Public Authority Board reappointed Eula Marshall to Seat #2, representing IHSS Service recipients; and reappointed William Reed to Seat #5, representing IHSS Service providers, to the IHSS Advisory Committee as requested by The IHSS Advisory Committee and IHSS Public Authority.
18. PERSONNEL/MEASURE F SALARY STEP AMOUNTS – Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, replacing in its entirety Placer County Code, Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, Appendix 3–DSAS, Appendix 4–DSAN, and Appendix 9-MGTS effective February 11, 2012.
19. PROBATION - Approved two new contracts: one for placement of juvenile wards in Humboldt County’s Juvenile Detention Facility through March 31, 2014; and one for mental health services to be provided to those minors housed at the Humboldt County facility through March 31, 2014. The bed space contract shall not exceed $5526 per bed per month, while the mental health services contract shall not exceed $4485 per minor per month.
20. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Competitive Bid #10152, Electrical Supplies/Various Departments - Awarded to Granite Electrical Supply of Sacramento, in the aggregate Blanket Purchase Order amount of $94,500.
b. Contract, Assisting and Managing an Automated Job Order Contracting System/Facility Services - Approved a two-year renewal of a contract with the Gordian Group, at a cost dependant on the value of the work ordered.
c. Blanket Purchase Order, Waterborne Traffic Line Paint for Road Maintenance, Public Works/Road Maintenance – Renewed a Blanket Purchase Order as a result of an El Dorado County Competitively Awarded Contract to Ennis Paint, Inc., for in the maximum amount of $160,000.
d. Competitive Bid #10167, Automotive Oil and Lube Products, Public Works/Fleet Operations - Awarded to Hunt and Sons, Inc., in the total aggregate amount of $105,000.
e. Competitive Bid #10169, Ammunition, Sheriff - Approved the award to San Diego Police Equipment Company, CPR Savers & First Aid Supply, and Miwall Corporation, in the total aggregate amount of $67,378.95.
f. Competitive Bid #10159, Aggregate Materials and Hauling Service, Public Works/Road Maintenance - Awarded to West Coast Sand & Gravel and Blain Stumpf Trucking, in the total aggregate amount of $239,000.
21. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. State Funded Transit Projects – Resolution 2012-84 adopted authorizing the Director of Public Works to execute the Master Agreement for State Funded Transit Projects, all Program Supplements and Amendments thereto with the California Department of Transportation.
b. Fiscal Year 2011/2012 Proposition 1B Transit Funds – Resolution 2012-85 adopted authorizing the Director of Public Works to complete the necessary applications to receive $110,688 in Proposition 1B Transit System Safety, Security and Disaster Response Account (TSSSDRA) funds for the installation of new interoperable two-way radio units at Placer County Transit and Tahoe Area Regional Transit.
c. Tahoe Area Regional Transit (TART) Transit Buses – Resolution 2012-86 adopted authorizing the Purchasing Manager to sign the Purchase Order and related documents in an amount not to exceed $40,000 using the Pennsylvania Education Purchasing Program for Microcomputers (PEPPM) competitively awarded contract with Zonar Systems for the purchase of a complete vehicle location and inspection system for TART. PEPPM provides special pricing for California only purchases.
d. Roadway Surface Treatment, Placer County, Summer 2012, Contract #1134 – Approved project specifications for the Roadway Surface Treatment project estimated to cost approximately $3,100,000 and authorized the Department of Public Works to advertise for bids.
22. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approved appropriation of $1,000 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Rocklin Area Chamber of Commerce Chairman’s Circle to help with their commitment to strengthen the image and visibility of business in the community, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt ($500) and Supervisor Holmes ($500).
b. Approved appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Acres of Hope “Taste for Hope” event to benefit the program to assist at risk and/or homeless women with children, as requested by Supervisor Holmes ($250) and Supervisor Uhler ($250).
c. Approved appropriation of $100 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Auburn Garden Club to help provide scholarships to Placer High School students of horticulture, as requested by Supervisor Holmes ($100).
a. Approved a contract and Resolution 2012-87 adopted and authorized the Sheriff-Coroner-Marshal to execute the agreement between Placer County and the State Department of Boating and Waterways for FY 2012-2013 in the maximum amount of $72,475 for the boating safety enforcement program.
b. Approved Change Order No. 1 to the Blanket Purchase Order (BPO) with Lehr Auto Electric Inc. to increase the current amount of $97,000 by $40,000 for a revised amount of $137,000 and authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting change order.
***End of Consent Agenda***
CONSENT ITEM MOVED FOR DISCUSSION:
16. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
b. Human Services/Community Services Block Grant Funding of Delegate Agencies - The Board took the following action as requested by the Placer County Community Services Commission:
a. Approved contracts totaling $92,330 with PEACE for Families ($33,000), Roseville Home Start ($33,000), and Tahoe SAFE Alliance ($26,330) as recommended by the Commission subsequent to a Grant Application for award of the 2012 Community Services Block Grant (CSBG), and authorize the Director of Health and Human Services to sign the resulting contracts and subsequent amendments up to 10 percent of the contract amounts.
b. Approved Contract Amendment CN5017-A with The Gathering Inn, increasing total funding by $7,800 to provide additional Extreme Weather Shelter Funds and Assertive Community Treatment & Shelter Support, for a new revised total amount of $51,468, and authorize the Director of Health and Human Services to sign the resulting amendment.
c. Authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to renew the above contracts in calendar year 2013 at the same dollar amounts, contingent upon satisfactory performance in calendar year 2012 and continued availability of CSBG funding, and to authorize amendments up to 10% of the individual 2013 contract amounts.
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
24. Personnel - Classified Service Merit Increases
25. Treasurer’s Statement for the month of FEBRUARY 2012.
ADJOURNMENT – Adjourned to Special Meeting Thursday April 12, 2012.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2012 MEETING SCHEDULE:
April 12, 2012 Special Meeting (CEO recruitment)
April 13, 2012 Special Meeting (CEO recruitment)
April 23, 2012 (Tahoe)
April 24, 2012 (Tahoe)