COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 22, 2013
Jack Duran, District 1, Vice Chairman David Boesch, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Holly Heinzen, Chief Assistant County Executive Officer
Jim Holmes, District 3, Chairman Gerald O. Carden, County Counsel
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
Jennifer Montgomery, District 5
related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Board after distribution of
the agenda packet are available for public inspection at the Clerk of the Board
of Supervisors Office,
North Tahoe Events Center
8318 North Lake Boulevard
Kings Beach, CA 96143
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Chairman Holmes.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Persons may address the Board on items not on this agenda. Please limit comments to 3 minutes per person since the time allocated for Public Comment is 15 minutes. If all comments cannot be heard within the 15-minute time limit, the Public Comment period will be taken up at the end of the regular session. The Board is not permitted to take any action on items addressed under Public Comment.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS
CONSENT AGENDA - All items on the Consent Agenda have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. The Board will convene as the Placer County Successor Agency for Item #13a. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion.
1. DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS
1. No action requested. The Department of Public Works and North Lake Tahoe Resort Association staff will provide an overview of the North Lake Tahoe Resort Triangle Transit Vision. There is no net County cost.
2. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
1. Approve Minutes of September 24, 2013. Supervisor Duran absent.
3. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY
1. Introduce of an Ordinance amending Chapter 16 of the Placer County Code to:
a. Amend Article 16.04.010 to eliminate the reference to “divisions by gift”.
b. Eliminate Article 16.04.080 to eliminate the entire Article addressing “Gift Deeds”.
c. Amend Article 16.20.360 to permit the use of the “Voluntary Merger” process to combine parcels created by deeded descriptions.
There are no net County costs associated with these actions.
1. Authorize the Chairman to sign two letters on behalf of the Board of Supervisors providing comments on the Bay Delta Conservation Plan (BDCP) proposal to the Governor of California. The first letter is for a Sacramento region-wide letter and the second is a letter defining Placer County specific circumstances. There is no net County cost associated with this action.
1. Tahoe Area Projects Update – Status update. No Board action is requested.
4. COUNTY EXECUTIVE
1. Approve a proposed North Lake Tahoe Resort Association infrastructure account expenditure for Winter 2013-14 Skier Shuttle Operations in an amount up to $46,000, funded by the Lake Tahoe Tourism and Promotions Fund and at no net county cost.
2. Adopt a Resolution authorizing:
a) The Department of Public Works Tahoe Area Regional Transit service to operate the Skier Shuttle, free of charge to the passenger, during the winter of 2013-14; and
b) An increase in Contract #1122 with MV Transportation in the amount of $30,000 from $150,000 to $180,000 for additional contract driver services in Fiscal Year 2013-14, with no net County cost.
3. Approve a Budget Revision in the amount of $58,700 to the TART Fiscal Year 2013-14 Budget.
4. Authorize The Director of Public Works to execute a funding agreement with the Truckee North Tahoe Transportation Management Association (TMA) for winter transit operations in the amount of $88,700 for TART winter transit service, including the Skier Shuttle.
1. Receive a presentation from the North Lake Tahoe Resort Association regarding Strategic Goals Progress Report.
5. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES
1. Approve Placer County Medical Clinics to become Medi-Cal Managed Care providers for the two health plans serving Placer County, in the newly established geographic managed care program. Accordingly, approve the Participating Provider Agreements with:
a. Celtic Insurance Company (California Health and Wellness Plan)
b. Anthem Blue Cross
2. Authorize the Director of Health and Human Services to approve and sign subsequent amendments consistent with the current agreements’ subject matter and scope of work, and appoint the Director of Health and Human Services as the County contract representative for providing notices and making determinations under the contracts.
6. DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS
1. Provide update on current project status including phasing, funding and construction schedule. There is no action being requested.
1. No action requested. The State Route 89/Fanny Bridge Revitalization Project in Tahoe City continues to be led by the Tahoe Transportation District. The Department of Public Works requests the opportunity to provide an “information only” update on the project status.
Pursuant to the cited authority (all references are to the Government Code), the Board of Supervisors will hold a closed session to discuss the following listed items. A report of any action taken will be presented prior to adjournment.
(A) §54956.9 – CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
1. Existing Litigation (Government Code §54956.9(d)(1):
(a) County of Placer v. Alison Lanman, Paul Lanman, et al., Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV0031192
(b) Sierra Club and Friends of the West Shore v. Tahoe Regional Planning Agency, et al., U.S.D.C. Eastern District Court, Case No.: 2:13-cv-00267-JAM-EFB
(c) Kathie Dallas, WCAB Claim, WCAB Claim No.: ADJ865776
CLOSED SESSION REPORT
CONSENT AGENDA - All items on the Consent Agenda have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. The Board will convene as the Placer County Successor Agency for Item #13a. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion.
8. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY
1. Accept the improvements as complete.
2. Authorize the Faithful Performance and Labor and Materials sureties to be set at:
a. Faithful Performance 25% of the value of any otherwise unsecured public improvements immediately upon your Board’s approval.
b. Labor and Material 50% or the total of all claims per G.C.66499.7, whichever is higher.
There is no net County cost associated with this action.
9. COUNTY EXECUTIVE
1. Approve a proposed North Lake Tahoe Resort Association infrastructure account expenditure for replacement and installation of new gateway holiday lighting in the amount of $8,000, funded by the Lake Tahoe Tourism and Promotions Fund and at no net county cost.
1. Approve participation in the Salvation Army's Auburn Community Thanksgiving Day Dinner by matching Placer County employee contributions dollar for dollar up to a maximum of $1,500 in net county cost.
10. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
1. Adopt a Resolution authorizing the County Executive Officer, or designee, to execute Economic Development Services Contract for outreach and promotional services in the Tahoe area with the Tahoe City Downtown Association ($49,000) for the remainder of FY 2013-14.
11. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES
1. Adopt a Resolution approving the Northstar Fire Department Capital Facilities Plan Update for FY 2013-14 with a 2.0 percent increase in mitigation fees.
1. Adopt a Resolution approving the 2013 North Tahoe Fire Protection District Fire Facilities Impact Fee Study and Capital Facilities and Fire Mitigation Fee Expenditure Plan which includes a new capital mitigation fee for fire service with the new fee being set at $1.01, $0.67, $0.87, and $0.58 per square foot for new residential, commercial, office, and industrial development respectively, and includes an annual fee increase methodology based on the Construction Cost Index as reported in the Engineering News Record.
1. Adopt annual Resolutions (3) for the California Public Employees Retirement System, Health Benefits Division, which adopts the 2014 employer health insurance contribution levels effective January 1, 2014 for all Placer County employees and retirees. Based on these contribution levels, the average increase of the two most popular health plans range from 4.57% to 11.11%; these increases are included in the County’s budget for FY 2013-14.
13. PLACER COUNTY SUCCESSOR AGENCY
1. Adopt a Resolution approving the extension of the Disposition and Development Agreement for Quartz Ridge Family Housing for an additional two years as contemplated by the original agreement, and authorize submission to the Placer County Oversight Board for approval.
14. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $400,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
1. Approve Change Order No. 1 to Blanket Purchase Order No. 19828 with Herberger’s Elk Grove Funeral Chapel of Elk Grove, CA for diener services increasing the blanket purchase order amount by $39,100 resulting in a new maximum amount of $146,100, funded by the Sheriff’s Office FY 2013-14 Final Budget with no additional net County cost, and extending the blanket purchase order through October 31, 2013; and
2. Approve the renewal of a competitively awarded blanket purchase order with Herberger’s Elk Grove Funeral Chapel of Elk Grove, CA for diener services in the maximum amount of $107,000, funded by the Sheriff’s Office FY 2013-14 Final Budget with no additional net County cost, for the period of November 1, 2013 through October 31, 2014;
3. Authorize the Purchasing Manger to sign the resulting blanket purchase orders.
1. Approve Change Order No. 2 to Blanket Purchase Order No. 20201 with Hooper and Weaver Mortuary Inc. for indigent burial and cremation services increasing the blanket purchase order amount by $35,000 resulting in a new maximum amount of $100,000, funded by the Health and Human Services FY 2013-14 final budget with no additional net County cost, and extending the blanket purchase order through December 31, 2013, and authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting change order.
1. Approve the renewal of competitively awarded blanket purchase order with R & S Architectural Products, Inc. of Sacramento for maintenance services for overhead doors, fire doors, gates and grilles for the period of November 6, 2013 through September 30, 2014 in the maximum amount of $57,000, funded by the Department of Public Works and Facility Services FY 2013-14 budgets with no additional net County cost, and authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting BPO.
1. Approve the award of a blanket purchase order to Sierra Chemical of Sparks, NV as the result of competitive Bid No. 10292 for the as-needed purchase of wastewater treatment chemicals in the maximum amount of $80,000, funded by the current FY 2013-14 Sewer Maintenance Districts’ and Sewer County Service Area budgets with no additional net County cost;
2. Approve the option to renew the blanket purchase order for two additional one year terms provided the renewal amounts do not exceed 10 percent of the recommended maximum amount of $80,000; and
3. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting blanket purchase order.
1. Approve the annual renewal of competitively awarded blanket purchase orders with JC Paper Company of Fremont, CA, Unipak Corporation of Brooklyn, NY, and United Textile Inc. of San Leandro, CA for janitorial supplies in the total aggregate amount of $368,000, funded by Facility Services, Probation, and Sheriff’s Office FY2013-14 budgets with no additional net County cost, and authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting blanket purchase orders and transfer funds between blanket purchase orders as needed.
15. PUBLIC WORKS
1. Adopt a Resolution accepting the Kings Beach Commercial Core Improvement Project - Pilot Neighborhood Traffic Management Plan (Phase I), Contract No. 1111, as complete. There is no net County cost.
2. Approve and authorize the Director of Public Works to execute the Notice of Completion.
1. Adopt a Resolution awarding, with County Counsel’s and Risk Management’s review and approval, Construction Contract No. 1165 to the low bidder, Don M. Lazorko Construction, Inc., dba DML Construction, in the amount of $66,780 for construction of the Squaw Valley Road Bus Shelter at Highway 89. There is no net County cost.
2. Authorize the Chair to execute the construction contract on behalf of Placer County.
3. Authorize the Director of Public Works to approve and sign contract change orders up to $6,678.
16. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. in Revenue Sharing monies to the Placer Land Trust’s 9th Annual Placer Conservator Award Ceremony, honoring Granite Bay Boy Scout Troop 121, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt ($500), Supervisor Holmes ($500), and Supervisor Uhler ($1,000).
b. in Revenue Sharing monies to help fund the Placer Community Foundation’s 4th Annual Nonprofit Leadership Summit, as requested by Supervisor Holmes ($250), Supervisor Weygandt ($250), and Supervisor Uhler ($250).
c. in Revenue Sharing monies to Placer Union High School District for upgrades to the Placer High School Athletic Complex, as requested by Supervisor Holmes ($1,000).
d. in Revenue Sharing monies to the Placer Nature Center to assist students with educational field trip scholarships, as requested by Supervisor Holmes ($250) and Supervisor Weygandt ($250).
17. TREASURER-TAX COLLECTOR
1. Approve the temporary borrowing of Treasury funds for fiscal year 2013/2014 by the Eureka Union School District ($2,000,000), Loomis Union School District ($3,500,000), Mid-Placer Public Schools Transportation Agency ($500,000), Newcastle Elementary School District ($1,000,000) and Tahoe Truckee Unified School District ($4,000,000), as prescribed by the California State Constitution. There is no net county cost related to these actions.
1. Temporary borrowing of Treasury funds for fiscal year 2013/2014 by the South Placer Fire District ($1,000,000) and Placer Hills Fire District ($510,000), as prescribed by the California State Constitution. There is no net county cost related to these actions.
1. Authorize the Chairman to sign the California Department of Veterans Affairs (CalVet) Special Certificate of Compliance in order to receive up to $124,910 in budgeted one time State funding for the County Veterans Service Office.
***End of Consent Agenda***
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
ADJOURNMENT – Tour of the Museum of Sierra Ski History, 1960 Olympics, Tahoe City Boatworks Mall, Tahoe City.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2013 MEETING SCHEDULE:
November 5, 2013
November 12, 2013
December 10, 2013