COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, MAY 22, 2012
Jack Duran, District 1 Holly Heinzen, Interim County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3, Vice Chairman Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
Kirk Uhler, District 4
Jennifer Montgomery, District 5, Chairwoman
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Board after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection at the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors Office, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, during normal business hours. Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Anthony La Bouff, County Counsel.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – Newcastle residents Carol Rubin, Patricia Burk, Theresa Chaney and Mike Giles expressed concern regarding Community Center zoning designation proposals in farm zones and requested: 1) Amending the zoning ordinances to remove Community Center designation in all agricultural zones, including farm zones; and 2) calling a moratorium on construction or approval of any Community Center to allow for review of zoning.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – Supervisor Holmes announced he will be traveling to Redding on behalf of the Regional Council of Rural Counties to speak to the Board of Forestry regarding the State responsibility area fire fee. Chairwoman Montgomery advised the American River Confluence Festival, celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Mountain Quarries Railroad Bridge, will be held on June 9 & 10, 2012, at the American River Overlook Park.
TIMED ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE TIME SHOWN
1. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of a Commendation congratulating Fowler Nursery on their 100 year anniversary and for being the recipient of the 2012 Placer Grown Farmer of the Year Award.
2. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of a Proclamation declaring the week of May 19th through May 25th, 2012 as National Safe Boating Week in Placer County.
3. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/PLACER LEGACY – Received a presentation and status report on the Placer Legacy Open Space and Agricultural Conservation Program (Placer Legacy) and affirmed past direction for use of remaining funding for acquisitions.
4. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Informational presentation by the Nevada Irrigation District regarding the Auburn Ravine Gaging Station Fish Passage Improvement Project.
5. FACILITY SERVICES/GARBAGE COLLECTION FEES, FRANCHISE AREAS 1 & 4 - Resolution 2012-117 adopted authorizing the Director of Facility Services, or his designee, to execute an amendment to the Franchise Agreement for Areas 1 and 4 to reflect the Franchisee, Recology-Auburn Placer, agreeing to forego the Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) specified in the agreement for FY 2012/13, resulting in no increase in garbage collection fees for FY 2012/13.
DEPARTMENT ITEMS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ACTION AS TIME ALLOWS
6. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT – Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Blanket Purchase Orders, Bulk Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Purchases and Deliveries, Public Works Road Maintenance & Fleet/Placer County Fire - Approved the renewal of two Competitively Awarded Blanket Purchase Orders with Hunt and Sons, Inc. as a result of Competitive Bid #9899 for Bulk Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Purchases and Deliveries, in the maximum aggregate amount of $2,165,000. MOTION Holmes/Weygandt/Unanimous
7. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Foresthill Transfer Station Improvements, Project 04848 - The Board took the following actions:
1. Approved the Plans and Specifications for the Project and authorized staff to solicit bids.
2. Resolution 2012-118 adopted authorizing the Director of Facility Services, or his designee, to award and execute the resulting construction contract, in an amount not to exceed $400,000, upon Risk Management’s and County Counsel’s review and approval, and approve any required change orders consistent with the County Purchasing Manual and Section 20142 of the Public Contract Code.
3. Authorized staff to file a Notice of Exemption for CEQA review with the Placer County Clerk-Recorder.
b. Dry Creek Community Park, Phase II Park Improvements, Project #4784B - Approved the Plans and Specifications and authorized staff to solicit bids for the Dry Creek Community Park - Phase II Park Improvements, Project #4784B, located at 9245 Walerga Road in Roseville, for an estimated cost of 3,361,599. MOTION Duran/Weygandt/Unanimous
8. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Administrative Services/Contracts and Non-Monetary Cooperative Agreements:
a. Super Resolution 2012-119 adopted including revenue agreements totaling $819,000 and expenditure agreements totaling $3,600,408, authorizing the Director of Health and Human Services to execute renewals of 53 separate and distinct revenue and expenditure agreements, to provide a variety of vital and mandated services to the community, including veterinary, AIDS/HIV counseling, inpatient psychiatric care, medical services, and adoption planning, with concurrence of CEO, County Counsel, and Risk Management, with explicit recognition that each expenditure agreement’s total value will not increase by more than 10 percent of its prior term’s annual amount,
b. Authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign subsequent amendments up to 10% of the initial amounts, and
c. Authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to submit applications and accept grants and revenue contracts in amounts under $50,000, as well as execute non-monetary cooperative agreements with other entities.
b. Children’s System of Care - Approved a contract with KidsFirst to provide countywide child abuse prevention services and operation of Family Resource Centers from July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2013 in the amount of $503,566, and authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign subsequent amendments up to 10% of the total contract amount.
9. PUBLIC WORKS/BRIDGE REPLACEMENT PROJECT, BREWER ROAD OVER KING SLOUGH & BREWER ROAD OVER MARKHAM RAVINE- CONTRACT NO. 1117- Resolution 2012-120 adopted authorizing the Chair to award and execute the construction contract for the Bridge Replacement Project at Brewer Road over King Slough and Brewer Road over Markham Ravine, with County Counsel and Risk Management review and approval, to the lowest responsible and responsive bidder, Viking Construction, Inc. for $1,725,553, and authorized the Director of Public Works to execute contract change orders up to an amount of 10% of the contract amount.
10. SHERIFF/LAW ENFORCEMENT SERVICES/CITY OF COLFAX - Approved the contract for Law Enforcement Services between the Placer County Sheriff’s Office and the City of Colfax. The contract amount for FY 2012-2013 is $565,811, an increase of $17,911 or 3.27%. The term of this contract is from July 1, 2012 to June 30, 2015. MOTION Duran/Montgomery/Unanimous
11. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
(A) §54956.9 – CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
1. Anticipated Litigation - Claims:
(a) Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to subdivision (b) of Government Code §54956.9: One potential case. Larry Sevison, Claim #12-47 – The Board approved a maximum of $1,500 in satisfaction of that claim.
2. Existing Litigation:
(a) Alliance for the Protection of the Auburn Community Environment, et al. v. Placer County, et al.
Placer County Superior Court Case No. SCV-28200 Court of Appeal, Third Appellate District, Civil Case No. C067961 – The Board received a status report from Counsel.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATORS – The Board received a brief update on the status of negotiations with PPEO and gave direction to its negotiators.
(a) Agency designated representatives: Holly Heinzen, Nancy Nittler, Therese Leonard, Anthony J. La Bouff
Employee organization: PPEO.
(C) §54957 - PUBLIC EMPLOYMENT – The Board continued its deliberations with regards to the County Executive Officer. No further report is forth coming today.
Title: County Executive Officer
CONSENT AGENDA – Added Item 12c MOTION Holmes/Duran/Unanimous. Moved Item 13b for discussion. Consent Agenda approved as amended with action as indicated.
12. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Approved a Commendation recognizing Chief Tony Corado for 33 years of outstanding service to the South Placer Fire District.
b. Approved minutes of April 23, April 24 and May 1, 2012.
c. Approved a Commendation to posthumously honor William “Bill” Mintline, former Colfax Chief of Police, California Highway Patrol Lieutenant assigned as the Gold Run Commander and Investigator for Placer County Risk Management for his dedication to public service and Placer County residents.
13. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS/ASSESSMENT APPEALS BOARD:
a. Approved a contract, up to a maximum of $96,000, with Allen Haim, Esq. for legal representation to the Assessment Appeals Board and authorize the County Executive Officer to sign.
b. MOVED FOR DISCUSSION Introduction of an Ordinance to amend certain sections of Article 2.44 of the Placer County Code pertaining to the Placer County Assessment Appeals Board.
14. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following claims, as recommended by the offices of County Counsel and Risk Management:
a. 12-039, Baker, Jeremy, $2,000,000, (Personal Injury)
b, 12-043, Cooper, Amy, $1,500, (Property Damage)
15. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Civil Service Commission - Approved the appointment of Andrae Randolph to Seat #1, as requested by Supervisor Duran.
b. Tahoe Cemetery District – Accepted the resignation of Donald Hale from Seat #3, effective May 3, 2012, as requested by Supervisor Montgomery.
c. North Tahoe Regional Advisory Council – Approved the appointment of Chris McConnell to Seat #6, as requested by Supervisor Montgomery.
d. Placer County Charter Review Committee – Approved the appointment of James T. Williams to Seat # 4 (representing District 4), as requested by Supervisor Uhler.
16. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/MARTIS CAMP (aka SILLER RANCH) UNIT No. 4B, TRACT #1000 - Approved recording of the Final Map for Martis Camp Unit 4B:
1. Approved recording and authorize the Chair to sign the Final Map.
2. Authorized the Chair to sign the Subdivision Improvement Agreement.
3. Instructed the Clerk of the Board to prepare the Final Map and the Subdivision Improvement Agreement for recording.
17. COUNTY COUNSEL - Retained the law firm of Hanson Bridgett in an amount not to exceed $75,000 to assist the County with implementation of the Regional Sewer project.
18. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Approved modification of Placer County Identity Theft Prevention Program as required by the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003 to delete references to the Redevelopment Agency and add Home Loan and Home Improvement Loan Program to the Community Development Resource Agency.
b. Approved merit increases for management employees pursuant to the Placer County Code, Chapter 3 process for step, or merit, increases.
19. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES – Approved obligation of funds from the Secure Rural Schools & Community Self-Determination Act of 2000 and the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 to support conforming projects, and authorized 45 day public noticing of the County’s intended use of these funds.
20. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/Board of Supervisors Acting in its Capacity as Successor Agency to the Former Redevelopment Agency - Resolution 2012-115 adopted authorizing the Placer County Purchasing Manager, to amend a contract with Kleinfelder West, Inc. for a groundwater remediation pilot study and continued groundwater monitoring activities for two properties in Kings Beach. The contract will be increased from $89,185.20 to a not to exceed amount of $238,887.20, and to extend the term until June 30, 2013, subject to the approval of the Placer County Oversight Board.
21. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/CHILDREN’S SYSTEM OF CARE - Approved a contract with Latino Leadership Council, Inc. from July 1, 2012 to June 30, 2013 in an amount not to exceed $105,590 to continue the provision of bilingual parenting education and delivery of community outreach and education programs, and authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign the contract and subsequent amendments up to 10 percent of the original contract amount.
22. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Blanket Purchase Order, On-Site Maintenance and Engineering Services, Administrative Services/IT/Telecommunications - Approved the negotiated renewal of a Blanket Purchase Order with Sutter Buttes Communication, Inc., in the maximum amount of $85,000.
b. Blanket Purchase Order, Four Monitor/Defibrillator Units and Accessories, Placer County Fire Division - Approved the Award of a Sole Source Blanket Purchase Order to Zoll Medical Corporation, in the total amount of $129,065.70 for Placer County Fire.
c. Declare Surplus, Public Works/Placer County Fire/Sheriff - Declared Vehicles, Vehicle Parts, and Miscellaneous Items as Surplus and authorized disposal.
d. Budget Revisions, Administrative Services/IT/Telecommunications - Approved related Budget revisions in the amounts of $187,059 and $45,559 for the acceptance of additional grant funding from the California Emergency Management Agency funded by the FY2011 Department of Homeland Security Emergency Management Performance Grant Programs to serve the Countywide Interoperable Radio Network Project.
23. PUBLIC WORKS/ABANDONMENT/PORTION OF A PUBLIC UTILITY EASEMENT- Resolution 2012-116 adopted to abandon a portion of a Public Utility Easement on Lot 14, Sylvan Vista Estates Subdivision, Auburn.
24. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approved appropriation of $2,000 in Revenue Sharing monies to the City of Lincoln’s Annual 4th of July Celebration to help defray the cost of the event, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
a. Approved the contract between the Placer County Sheriff’s Office and the Sierra County Sheriff’s Office (SCSO) for pathology and morgue services; authorize the Chair to sign and the Sheriff to execute the contract. The contract term will be from July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2014. Rates are based on individual cases and range from $300 to $1,200 per review or autopsy.
b. Approved Amendment #4 renewing the system support agreement between the Placer County Sheriff’s Office and Abtech Support Inc. and authorized the Purchasing Manager to execute any related documents. The agreement period begins July 1, 2012 and ends June 30, 2013 with an annual cost of $93,180.
***End of Consent Agenda***
CONSENT ITEM MOVED FOR DISCUSSION:
13. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS/ASSESSMENT APPEALS BOARD:
b. Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, to amend certain sections of Article 2.44 of the Placer County Code pertaining to the Placer County Assessment Appeals Board.
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
26. Treasurer-Tax Collector - Treasurer’s Statement for the month of April 2012.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2012 MEETING SCHEDULE:
June 5, 2012
June 19, 2012
July 10, 2012
July 23, 2012 (Tahoe)
July 24, 2012 (Tahoe)