COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
Tuesday, March 26, 2019
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Bonnie Gore, District 1, Vice Chair Todd Leopold, County Executive Officer
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Karin Schwab, Interim County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3, Teri Ivaldi, Chief of Staff
Kirk Uhler, District 4, Chair Megan Wood, Clerk of the Board
Jennifer Montgomery, District 5 Gina Fleming, Deputy Clerk of the Board
Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
Any person interested in viewing or addressing the Board during the Board meeting by interactive video may do so at the Placer County Administrative Offices - Tahoe City, 775 North Lake Boulevard, Tahoe City, CA 96145.
FLAG SALUTE: Led by Supervisor Montgomery
CONSENT AGENDA: All items on the Consent Agenda have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Persons may address the Board on items not on this agenda. Please limit comments to 3 minutes per person since the time allocated for Public Comment is 15 minutes. If all comments cannot be heard within the 15-minute time limit, the Public Comment period will be taken up at the end of the regular session. The Board is not permitted to take any action on items addressed under Public Comment.
BOARD MEMBER AND COUNTY EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
1. HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
1. Approve and Present a Proclamation declaring April 2019 as "Child Abuse Prevention Awareness Month" in Placer County.
2. TREASURER TAX-COLLECTOR
1. Approve and Present a Commendation recognizing Cindy Badrue for 30 years of dedicated public service as an employee of the Placer County Treasurer-Tax Collector’s Office.
ADJOURN AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND
CONVENE AS THE PLACER COUNTY HOUSING AUTHORITY
3. PLACER COUNTY HOUSING AUTHORITY
1. Consider the following items to secure $2,633,662 in Federal funding for Placer County Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program to provide subsidized housing vouchers for low income individuals, families and veterans in Placer County for FY 2019-20.
a. Conduct a Public Hearing to receive public comment regarding the updated Placer County Housing Authority Administrative Plan.
b. Adopt the updated Placer County Housing Authority Administrative Plan.
c. Adopt a Resolution authorizing acceptance of the updated Placer County Housing Authority Administrative Plan, and authorize submission of the certifications of program compliance to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
ADJOURN AS THE PLACER COUNTY HOUSING AUTHORITY AND
RECONVENE AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
4. HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
1. Approve and Present a Proclamation declaring April 01, 2019 through April 07, 2019 as “Public Health Week” in Placer County.
5. PUBLIC WORKS
1. Conduct a Public Hearing to consider public testimony, adopt a Resolution to annex the Sundance Storage 2 LLC property, located southwest of the intersection of Brady Lane and Baseline Road in the Dry Creek area (APN 473-010-032-000) into the boundaries of County Service Area 28, Zone 173 – Dry Creek to provide sewer service.
6. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY
1. Conduct a Public Hearing, receive comments, and file the 2018 Annual Housing Element Implementation Progress Report for submittal to the California Department of Housing and Community Development and to the Governor’s Office of Planning and Research.
1. Adopt a Resolution authorizing the Placer County Clerk-Recorder-Registrar to enter into a contract with Dominion Voting Systems in the amount of $3,222,977.98 to purchase vote counting equipment and software, support and training in order to meet the State of California’s new certification requirements.
2. Approve a Budget Revision in the amount of $3,570,000 for the purchase of the Dominion Democracy Suite and estimated tax and shipping costs, funded by General Fund reserves.
3. Add applicable equipment from the Dominion Democracy Suite contract to the County Master Fixed Asset list.
8. FACILITIES MANAGEMENT
1. Approve Plans and Specifications for Improvement Projects located at 11411, 11429, 11459 and 11471 “F” Avenue, Auburn, with an estimated construction cost of $1,100,000 and authorize staff to solicit bids. This project is included in the Department of Facilities Management FY 2018-19 Capital Projects Budget.
2. Authorize the Director of Facilities Management, or designee, to award and execute a construction contract not to exceed $1,100,000 including selected Bid Alternates, upon review and concurrence by Risk Management and County Counsel, to the lowest responsive responsible bidder; and authorize the Director of Facilities Management, or designee, to execute any necessary change orders not to exceed $67,500 in accordance with the County Procurement Policy and Section 20142 of the Public Contract Code.
9. PUBLIC WORKS
1. Adopt a Resolution awarding Construction Contract to the lowest responsive and responsible bidder, Viking Construction Company, Inc. of Rancho Cordova, CA for the construction of the Bridge Replacement Project on Dowd Road over Markham Ravine in the amount of $2,647,954, upon County Counsel and Risk Management concurrence; and authorizing the Director of Public Works, or designee, to execute change orders up to $144,898 as needed. This contract is funded with $2,647,954 of Federal Highway Bridge Program funds (100%).
10. COUNTY EXECUTIVE
1. Receive a presentation on Senate Bill 139 (Allen) regarding independent redistricting commissions, and provide staff direction on Board support, opposition, or neutrality regarding the bill.
1. Receive a progress report on the FY 2018-19 work plan efforts to advance the strategic initiatives discussed at the Board of Supervisors’ April 2018 Strategic Planning Workshop.
11. BOARD OF SUPERVSIORS
1. Consider a short term extension of the annual Employment Contracts for District 5 Aides Jocelyn Maddux and Lindsay Romack; and approve an extension end date.
12. COUNTY COUNSEL/ADJOURN TO CLOSED SESSION: Pursuant to the cited authority (all references are to the Government Code), the Board of Supervisors will hold a closed session to discuss the following listed items. A report of any action taken will be presented prior to adjournment.
(A) §54956.9 – CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
1. Existing Litigation (Government Code §54956.9(d)(1)):
(a) Rachael Akey, et al., v. Placer County, et al.
U.S.D.C. Eastern District Case No. 2:14-cv-02402-KJM-DB
(b) County of Placer v. Amerisourcebergen Drug Corporation, et al
U.S. District Court, Eastern District Case No. 2:18-cv-01143-KJM-CKD
(c) Federal Energy Regulatory Commission Proceeding No. 2079-080 (Placer County Water Agency)
(B) §54956.8 – CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATORS
(a) Properties: APNs 023-301-004-000 and 023-294-047-000
Agency Negotiators: Todd Leopold, Karin Schwab, Rob Sandman, Steve Newsom, and Laurie Morse
Negotiating Parties: County of Placer and Keith Paulsen, Infinity Homes, Inc.
Under Negotiation: Price, terms of payment, or both
1. Approve and authorize the Agricultural Commission/Sealer to sign a lease agreement with the County of Amador for the use of Placer County’s weight truck with crane and weight standards and liquid propane gas provers.
14. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
1. Approve a change in meeting location for the April 22, 2019 Board of Supervisors Meeting from Tahoe to Auburn.
15. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY
1. 19-034 Maxie, Betty (Property Damage) $348.99
2. 19-035 Evans, Alexandria (Property Damage) Unstated
3. 19-036 Selter, Bruce (Personal Injury/Property Damage) $10,000
4. 19-039 Highbaugh, Kristin (Personal Injury) Unstated
5. 19-040 Highbaugh, Ashlyn (Personal Injury) Unstated
6. 19-041 Highbaugh, Kevin (Personal Injury) Unstated
7. 19-042 Johnson, Jonathan (Personal Injury) $50,000
8. 19-043 Brimmer, Andrew (Property Damage) $7,500
9. 19-046 Riley, Allen (Property Damage) $1,305.53
B. Reject the following late claim, as recommended by the offices of County Counsel and Risk Management:
1. 19-022 Archibald, Sara (Personal Injury) $2,000
16. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS
1. Approve the reappointments of Eric Bose to Seat #1, Scott McGuckin to Seat #2, James Radler to Seat #4, Walter Pekarsky to Seat #5, Tom Kruse to Seat #6 and Virgil Anderson to Seat #7 of the Granite Bay Municipal Advisory Council, as requested by Supervisor Uhler.
1. Adopt a Resolution extending the deadline to vacate the member appointments of District 5 Municipal Advisory Councils from thirty (30) to sixty (60) days from the date of appointment of the new Supervisor.
17. COUNTY EXECUTIVE
1. Adopt a Resolution to reaffirm a local emergency in Placer County due to tree mortality.
1. Approve a $49,000 budget revision to the North Lake Tahoe Resort Association contract to fund Phase II work with Civitas Advisors, Inc. on the potential formation of a Tourist Business Improvement District in eastern Placer County to fund destination marketing and visitor information services at no net County cost.
1. Approve the County’s Holiday schedule for calendar year 2020 as requested by County Executive Officer, Todd Leopold.
1. The County Executive Officer recommends that the Board approve a 5% merit increase for:
a. Elena Gagnie, Tax Manager, Treasurer, from Grade 453, Step 3 at $58.34 per hour to Grade 453, Step 4 at $61.26 per hour, effective May 12, 2018.
b. Rosalina Miclat, Payroll Manager, Auditor-Controller, from Grade 452, Step 2 at $55.02 per hour to Grade 452, Step 3 at $57.77 per hour, effective February 16, 2019.
18. DISTRICT ATTORNEY
1. Adopt a Resolution authorizing the District Attorney to sign the Grant Award Agreement for the Victim Witness Assistance Program Grant in the amount of $550,979 from October 01, 2018 to September 30, 2019 with a required match of $79,434, for a total program amount of $630,413, which is included in the District Attorney’s FY 2018-19 Final Budget.
19. HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
1. Approve the appointment of Katrina Brown to Seat #2 representing Family Member, District 3, on the Mental Health, Alcohol and Drug Advisory Board.
1. Adopt a Resolution designating the lead adult advisor and fiscal agent for the Placer County Youth Commission (PCYC), authorize the acceptance and expenditure of donations for the public benefit of county youth, and authorize the Director of Health and Human Services to enter into certain agreements on behalf of the PCYC pursuant to the terms contained in the Resolution.
20. HUMAN RESOURCES
1. Approve the Side Letter Agreement with Placer Public Employees Organization related to employees being assigned to Salary Range B when hired following the full implementation of Workday.
21. PROCUREMENT - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $400,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda.
1. Approve the award of a Qualified List based on competitive Request for Qualifications No. 100169 for Construction Inspection and Project Facilitation Services for use by the Community Development Resource Agency Engineering and Surveying Division on an as-needed basis, effective March 26, 2019 to March 31, 2022.
2. Approve the option to renew the resulting Qualified List on a year-to-year basis for two (2) additional one-year terms.
3. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign all required documents.
1. Approve the renewal of a negotiated contract with Professional Asbestos and Lead Services, Inc. of Stockton, CA, for asbestos and lead paint abatement services in the maximum amount of $150,000 for the period of April 01, 2019 through March 31, 2020. Funding is provided by the Department of Facilities Management in the FY 2018-19 Final Budget and will be included in the FY 2019-20 Requested Budget.
2. Approve the option to renew this contract for two (2) additional one-year periods, and authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign all required documents subject to departmental concurrence and available funding, and authorize change orders up to a maximum amount of $15,000 consistent with Placer County’s Procurement Policy.
1. Approve an increase to the existing Countywide agreement with Michael D Emerick, dba Jacobs Office Interiors, of Auburn, CA for the purchase of standard ergonomic chairs in the amount of $30,000 for a revised maximum aggregate amount of $130,000 through March 31, 2019. Funding is provided by County departments in the FY 2018-19 Final Budget and will be included in respective departments’ future requested budgets.
2. Approve the renewal of the agreement with Jacobs Office Interiors in the maximum amount of $130,000 for the period of April 01, 2019 through March 31, 2020.
3. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign all required documents subject to departmental concurrence and available funding, and authorize change orders up to a maximum amount of $13,000 consistent with Placer County’s Procurement Policy.
1. Authorize the addition of seven (7) items to the Master Fixed Asset List for FY 2018-19.
2. Authorize payments to Silverado Avionics in the amount of $10,783 for the purchase of a Rack Mount Conventional Repeater and Tesco Inc in the amount $5,877 for a Signal & Noise Device for Placer County Fire funded by the Homeland Security Grants with no additional net County cost.
3. Approve a Budget Revision to move $16,600 within the Office of Emergency Services FY 2018-19 Final Budget.
4. Approve a Budget Revision to move $6032.63 within the Dry Creek Fire FY 2018-19 Final Budget.
5. Approve a Budget Revision to move $6032.63 within the Western Placer Fire FY 2018-19 Final Budget.
6. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign all required documents.
22. PUBLIC WORKS
1. Approve a Memorandum of Understanding between Placer County, the Cities of Roseville and Rocklin, the Town of Loomis, and the Placer County Flood Control and Water Conservation District to fund the long-term operation and maintenance of the Miners Ravine Off-Channel Detention Basin Facility and the Antelope Creek Flood Control Project, Upper Weir.
1. Adopt a Resolution approving a Right-of-Way Contract for the acquisition of a Highway Easement on property owned by the R.B. Johnson Investments LLC and Coon Creek Preserve LLC for the Dowd Road at Coon Creek Bridge Replacement Project in the amount of $178,500 and authorize execution of the Contract and acceptance of the Highway Easement Deed. Funding is provided by the Federal Highway Bridge Program (100%).
1. Approve Plans and Specifications for the Meadow Vista Landfill Gas System Improvements Project 04613 with an estimated construction cost of $133,320 and authorize the Director of Public Works, or designee, to advertise for construction bids. This Project is included in the Department of Public Works and Facilities FY 2018-19 Final Budget.
1. Approve specifications for the Placer County 2019 Hot Mix Asphalt Overlay Project estimated to cost $4,500,000 and authorize the Director of Public Works, or designee, to advertise for bids. Funding is available in the Department of Public Works and Facilities FY 2018-19 Final Budget.
23. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
1. Approve appropriation of $425 in Revenue Sharing monies to The Forgotten Soldier Program as requested by Supervisor Weygandt ($75) and Supervisor Holmes ($350).
1. Approve appropriation of $300 in Revenue Sharing monies to Placer County Museums as requested by Supervisor Weygandt ($100) and Supervisor Holmes ($200).
1. Approve appropriation of $1,250 in Revenue Sharing monies to Rocklin Area Chamber of Commerce as requested by Supervisor Weygandt ($625), Supervisor Holmes ($625).
1. Approve award of a purchase order to Motorola Solutions of Chicago, IL for fifteen (15) APX8000 All Band Digital Portable Radios in the amount of $111,000.
2. Approve a Budget Revision to increase revenue and expenditures in the amount of $97,000, and move $14,000 within the Sheriff’s Office FY 2018-19 Final Budget.
3. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the purchase order and all related documents
4. Add the equipment to the Master Fixed Asset List.
1. Accept a donation of a 28 foot trailer from Rocklin Fire Department with an estimated value of $82,500 to be used during law enforcement operations, and add the trailer to the Master Fixed Asset List.
25. TREASURER TAX-COLLECTOR
1. Adopt a Resolution authorizing the Tax Collector to distribute excess proceeds to claimants from the 2017 tax-defaulted land sales in the amount of $126,678.83, and the collection of $205.67 in County fees for administration of excess proceeds pursuant to California Revenue and Taxation Code Sections 4671 through 4676.
26. HUMAN RESOURCES
1. Receive Inmate Welfare Fund (IWF) Annual Reports pursuant to Penal Code (PC) 4025. Revenues received in support of the IWF, plus interest earned for FY 2016-17 totaled $888,169, and expenditures for the benefit, education and welfare of inmates within the Sheriff’s Correctional Facilities during this period totaled $159,139. In FY 2017-18 revenue totaled $871,149, and expenditures totaled $531,147.
28. TREASURER TAX-COLLECTOR
ADJOURNMENT – To next regular meeting, on April 09, 2019
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ UPCOMING MEETING SCHEDULE:
April 09, 2019
April 22, 2019
April 23, 2019 (Tahoe)
May 14, 2019
May 28, 2019
June 11, 2019
June 25, 2019
July 09, 2019
July 22, 2019 (Tahoe)
July 23, 2019 (Tahoe)
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Board after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection at the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors Office, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, during normal business hours. Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
Any document submitted for consideration shall be submitted to the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603 no later than 5:00 p.m. the day before the scheduled meeting. Any documentation submitted at any noticed videoconferencing site will become part of the official record, but will not be disseminated to the Board prior to the Board’s action. NOTE: An alternate location may be offered as a courtesy for a Board meeting but may be closed due to inclement weather or may not be available if technology fails
To watch Board meetings or view Agendas online, go to Placer County’s website www.placer.ca.gov