COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
Tuesday, November 19, 2019
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Bonnie Gore, District 1, Vice Chair Todd Leopold, County Executive Officer
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Karin Schwab, Interim County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3 Teri Ivaldi, Chief of Staff
Kirk Uhler, District 4, Chair Megan Wood, Clerk of the Board
Cindy Gustafson, District 5 Marci Branaugh, Deputy Clerk of the Board
Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
Any person interested in viewing or addressing the Board during the Board meeting by interactive video may do so at the Placer County Administrative Offices - Tahoe City, 775 North Lake Boulevard, Tahoe City, CA 96145.
FLAG SALUTE: Led by Supervisor Gustafson
CONSENT AGENDA: All items on the Consent Agenda have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Persons may address the Board on items not on this agenda. Please limit comments to 3 minutes per person since the time allocated for Public Comment is 15 minutes. If all comments cannot be heard within the 15-minute time limit, the Public Comment period will be taken up at the end of the regular session. The Board is not permitted to take any action on items addressed under Public Comment.
BOARD MEMBER AND COUNTY EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
1. PLACER COUNTY OFFICE OF EDUCATION
1. Receive the Annual Report on Williams Schools in Placer County
2. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY
1. Adopt an Ordinance (introduced on November 5, 2019) amending Placer County Code Chapter 9 to add Article 9.42, Short Term Vacation Rentals.
2. Find the ordinance exempt from of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) pursuant to Guidelines Sections 15061(b)(3), 15282(h) and 15378.
1. Conduct a Public Hearing to consider adoption a Resolution establishing the Short Term Vacation Rental Permit Fee Schedule.
2. Direct staff to negotiate Memoranda of Understanding to provide periodic fire safety inspections for short term vacation rentals with the fire districts in Eastern Placer County and return to the Board for consideration.
3. RISK MANAGEMENT
1. Receive a presentation recognizing the CEO/Risk Management Division for receiving the Eagle Award from the California State Association of Counties Excessive Insurance Authority.
4. COUNTY EXECUTIVE
1. Receive a progress report on the FY 19-20 work plan efforts to advance the strategic
initiatives discussed at the Board of Supervisors’ April 2018 Strategic Planning Workshop.
5. COUNTY EXECUTIVE
1. Receive a financial update for the major operating funds as of September 30, 2019 (Fiscal Year 2019/20 Quarter 1).
6. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCES
1. Introduce an ordinance and waive oral reading:
a. Repealing Placer County Code Chapter 15, Article 15.04 in its entirety;
b. Adopting the 2019 California Building Standards Code as amended, supported by the findings set forth in section 2 of the attached ordinance.
c. Codifying the adoption of the 2019 California Building Standards Code as amended, by adoption of Placer County Code Chapter 15, Article 15.04, as set forth in the ordinance.
7. HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
1. Introduce an uncodified Ordinance, waive oral reading, authorizing the Director of Health and Human Services to accept deed restrictions concerning properties limited for housing assistance purposes.
8. PUBLIC WORKS
1. Adopt a Resolution approving and authorizing the Purchasing Manager, or designee, to execute an agreement with Joe Benigno Tree Service, Inc. of Gardnerville, NV to remove 282 dead or dying trees in the amount of $486,982 funded by the Office of Emergency Services and authorizing the Purchasing Manager to sign all required documents and authorize any required change orders in an amount not to exceed $36,849 consistent with the Public Contract Code.
1. Authorize the Director of Public Works, or designee to execute Agreement with MV Transportation, Inc. for provision of Placer County Dial-A-Ride for transit service for a five-year period in an amount not to exceed $1,767,149 in year one, $1,764,637 in year two, $1,821,250 in year three, $1,876,371 in year four, and $1,923,244 in year five.
2. Authorize the Director of Public Works or designee to approve change orders to Agreement No. 001235 up to 5% in each of the five (5) contract years.
3. Approve a Budget Revision to the Placer County Transit Budget increasing expenditures by $304,300 in Ledger Account 52360- Professional and Special Services, and increasing revenue by $191,260 in Ledger Account 45010 – Aid from Other Agencies.
2. Approve allocation of up to $500,000 in Placer County Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) to reimburse TART for the implementation of free fares for the same two-year period.
3. Approve a Budget Revision in the amount of $250,000 in the Fiscal Year 2019-20 Tahoe Tourism and Promotions Fund to reimburse TART for the implementation of free fares in Fiscal Year 2019-20.
4. Authorize the Department of Public Works to initiate agreements with various funding partners to assist with TART free fares and reduce the amount of TOT paid to reimburse TART.
1. Approve the award of negotiated purchase orders to Downtown Ford of Sacramento, CA, Selma Nissan of Selma, CA, Winner Chevrolet of Elk Grove, CA, and U.S. Fleet Source of Covina, CA, utilizing the State of California Contract Nos. 1-18-23-10 (A-H), 1-18-23-20 (A-H), and 1-18-23-23 (A-H) for the purchase of various types of fleet vehicles in the maximum aggregate amount of $990,656 funded by revenue collected from replacement funds with no net County cost.
2. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting purchase orders and related documents as well as requests to purchase additional vehicles utilizing the State of California Contracts within the current fiscal year, provided the requests are appropriately budgeted and included on the Fiscal Year 2019-20 Master Fixed Asset List.
Adjourn as the Placer County Board of Supervisors and convene as the Placer County Successor Agency
10. SUCCESSOR AGENCY
1. Adopt a Resolution to approve a Purchase and Sale Agreement for the sale of the Swiss Mart Property consisting of two vacant parcels (APNs: 090-192-055-000 and 090-192-062-000) totaling 0.3± acres located at 8793 and 8797 North Lake Boulevard in Kings Beach, CA for $306,000. Authorize the Successor Agency Officer, or designee, to execute the Purchase and Sale Agreement, and to take all necessary actions to complete the sale of the property, including extending the Agreement period for up to one year. Execution of the Purchase and Sale Agreement would be contingent upon approval by the Placer County Consolidated Oversight Board.
Adjourn as the Placer County Successor Agency and reconvene as the Placer County Board of Supervisors
11. COUNTY EXECUTIVE
1. Approve an agreement in the amount of $452,333 with the California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services for the 2019 Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS) Resiliency Allocation and authorize and direct Holly Powers, Assistant Director of Emergency Services, to sign the agreement and take any other actions necessary to secure the allocation.
2. Approve a Budget amendment to increase revenues and expenditures in the amount of $452,333 within the Office of Emergency Services FY 19/20 Final Budget.
12. COUNTY COUNSEL/ADJOURN TO CLOSED SESSION: Pursuant to the cited authority (all references are to the Government Code), the Board of Supervisors will hold a closed session to discuss the following listed items. A report of any action taken will be presented prior to adjournment.
(A) GOVERNMENT CODE §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
Existing Litigation (Government Code §54956.9(d)(1):
(a) County of Placer v. Shawna Sipherd
Placer County Superior Court Case No. SCV0043934
(b) Davood Khademi v. J. Langes
U.S. District Court, Eastern District, Case No. 2:19-cv-0437-JAM-EFB
(c) Tahoe Residents United for Safe Transit, et al. v. County of Placer, et al.
Third District Court of Appeal Case No. C075933
Placer County Superior Court Case No. SCV0032463
(d) Rachael Akey, et al., v. Placer County, et al.
U.S.D.C. Eastern District Case No. 2:14-cv-02402-KJM-DB
13. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
1. Approve the 2020 Placer County Board of Supervisors’ Meeting Schedule.
14. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY
1. 19-125 Poulton, Michael (Personal Injury) $25,000
2. 19-127 Combs, Barry (Property Damage) $645
15. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS
1. Approve the appointment of Katherine Katches to the unexpired term of Seat #2 representing County Consumers on the Placer County Child Care Advisory Council.
1. Approve the appointment of Malcom Lipson to the unexpired term of Seat #5 on the Meadow Vista Municipal Advisory Council, as requested by Supervisor Gustafson.
1. Adopt a Resolution to reaffirm a local emergency in Placer County due to tree mortality.
1. Approve a First Amendment to the Exclusive Right to Negotiate a Developer Agreement with Related-Pacific Companies for a potential housing mixed-use project at the property located at 3205 and 3225 North Lake Blvd, Tahoe City and authorize the County Executive Officer or his designee to finalize and execute the First Amendment and to take all necessary actions to implement the terms of said amendment.
1. Adopt a Resolution approving two (2) agreements with the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection for the purchase of wildland firefighting equipment to be reimbursed by the Volunteer Fire Assistance Grant Program in amounts not to exceed $20,000 and $13,566.46 for Fiscal Year 2019-20 and authorize Jim Hudson, Assistant Chief - West Division Operations of Placer County Fire, to sign the agreements. Funding match is provided by the Community Services Area (CSA) Zone of Benefit (ZOB) 76 and 193 FY 2019-20 Final Budgets.
1. Approve the attached resolution regarding proposed revisions to the Golden State Finance Authority (GSFA) Joint Powers Agreement (JPA) to clarify the GSFA mission, as approved by the JPA in August 2019.
1. Adopt a Resolution approving the Northstar Community Services District FY 2019/20 Capital Facilities and Mitigation Fee Expenditure Plan Annual Update that contains a 2.5% increase.
17. FACILITIES MANAGEMENT
1. Authorize the Director of Facilities Management, or designee, to execute Amendment No. 1 to the Purchase and Sale Agreement with Infinity Homes, Inc. for the sale of two undeveloped properties:
a. A 3.78 ± acre portion of a 5-acre parcel (APN: 023-301-004-000) (“Vandenberg Property”).
b. A 0.41-acre parcel (APN: 023-294-047-000) (“Hap Arnold Property”) for an amended sale price of $505,000 and authorize the sale proceeds to be deposited into the Affordable Housing Fund (FD14503).
18. HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
1. Adopt a Resolution updating the designation of facilities and other professional persons pursuant to Welfare and Institutions Code Sections 5150, 5152, 5585.50, and 5585.55, regarding treatment and evaluation related to involuntary psychiatric holds of adults and minors; and re-authorization of the involuntary psychiatric hold process of Welfare and Institutions Code sections 5270.10, et. seq.
19. HUMAN RESOURCES
1. Adopt an Ordinance, introduced November 05, 2019, to amend various sections of Chapter 3 of the Placer County Code to align with current labor agreements, recent classification updates, minimal holiday staffing plan, and updated policies previously approved by the Board.
1. Adopt an Ordinance, introduced November 05, 2019, to amend the Placer County Code §3.12.060(A) and §3.08.1150 related to longevity pay.
1. Appoint Karin E. Schwab as the County Counsel for the County of Placer for the period of November 19, 2019 to November 19, 2023, approve employment agreement with Ms. Schwab and authorize the Chair to execute the employment agreement for said appointment.
20. PROCUREMENT - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $400,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda.
1. Approve the award of competitive RFP No. 100253 for Housing Element Update to PlaceWorks Inc. of Folsom, CA in the amount of $143,611, funded by the Community Development Resource Agency’s FY 2019-20 Final Budget.
2. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign all required documents subject to Risk Management and County Counsel approval.
1. Approve renewal agreement with Host Compliance LLC of San Francisco, CA for short term rental monitoring and associated services in the maximum amount of $245,000 for the period of December 01, 2019 through November 30, 2020. Funding is included in the Revenue Services Division FY 2019-20 Final Budget.
2. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign all required documents subject to departmental concurrence and available funding, and authorize change orders in an amount not to exceed $25,000 consistent with Placer County’s Procurement Policy.
1. Approve the award of competitive Bid No. 20007 to Hansen Bros. Enterprises of Grass Valley, CA, and Blain Stumpf Trucking of Shingle Springs, CA and a negotiated agreement with Cinderlite Trucking Corporation of Carson City, NV for the purchase and delivery of ice control sand in the maximum aggregate amount of $200,000 for the period of November 20, 2019 through September 30, 2020, funded by the Department of Public Works FY 2019-20 Final Budget and included in the FY 2020-21 Requested Budget, with no additional net County cost.
2. Approve the option to renew the resulting awards for two (2) additional one-year periods in the aggregate amount of $200,000 per year and authorize change orders up to a maximum cumulative amount of $20,000 per year, consistent with Placer County’s Procurement Policy, subject to departmental concurrence and available funding.
3. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign all required documents.
1. Approve an increase and extension to the existing contract with St. Francis Electric LLC for inspection, maintenance and repair of traffic signals, in the amount of $73,000, increasing the maximum amount to $184,000 and extending through December 31, 2019. Funding is provided by the Department of Public Works Road Maintenance Division in the FY 2019-20 Final Budget.
2. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign all required documents.
1. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to cancel competitive solicitation numbers 10687 and 100116 for design/build services to design and construct the Placer County Mental Health Facility and Medium Security Housing and Vocational Training Facility, respectively.
1. Approve the removal of Protiviti Government Services, Inc. through its staffing division Robert Half Government of Sacramento, CA from the qualified list of firms for information technology support services.
2. Approve the addition of Amick Brown LLC of San Ramon, CA to the qualified list of firms for information technology support services.
3. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign all required documents.
1. Approve the renewal of a subscription for Okta single sign-on and multi-factor authentication services with CDW-G LLC of Chicago, IL in the amount of $221,744 for the period of December 01, 2019 through November 30, 2020, funded by the Information Technology Department’s FY 2019-20 Final Budget.
2. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign all required documents.
21. PUBLIC WORKS
1. Adopt a Resolution to abandon an Irrevocable Offer of Dedication for a Drainage Access Easement at 6605 Sierra College Boulevard, Granite Bay.
1. Adopt a Resolution authorizing the Purchasing Manager, or designee, to award and execute Amendment No. 2 Professional Service Agreement No. 001004 with Salaber Associates Inc. for Construction Management, Construction Inspection, and Materials Testing Related Services for the Roadway Safety Sign Upgrade Project to increase the original contract amount of $212,480 by $100,000 for a total contract amount not to exceed $312,480 upon County Counsel and Risk Management concurrence; and to execute future amendments to the agreement up to an additional $20,000 as needed. The project is funded by a combination of Federal Highway Safety Improvement Program Funds (90%) and local Road Funds (10%).
1. Adopt a Resolution approving a grant application for up to $6,000,000 to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (Cal Fire) for the Michigan Bluff Community Protection Project, authorize the County Executive Officer, or designee, to sign the application and certify Placer County will comply with all legal requirements. There are no matching Placer County requirements for this grant.
1. Adopt a Resolution to approve Amendment No. 3 to Professional Services Agreement No. 000974 with Mountain G. Enterprises, Inc. for the Tree Removal Consultant Services to increase the current contract by $302,802 for a total amount of $2,218,163.97, and authorize the Director of Public Works, or designee, to execute subsequent contract amendments for additional professional services up to an amount not to exceed $221,816.40.
1. Approve the purchase of a Polaris General 1000 4-seat Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle and associated parts. Funding for this purchase in the amount of $36,000 is available within the Sheriff’s FY 2019-20 Final Budget in the Sheriff’s Off-Highway Vehicle Program.
2. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to execute resulting purchase orders and related documents.
3. Add equipment items to the Master Fixed Asset List.
1. Approve a Budget Revision redistributing the existing overtime budget between Cost Centers in the Sheriff’s FY 2019-20 Final Budget. There is no change to spending authority for the Sheriff’s Office and no impact to the General Fund.
23. TREASURER-TAX COLLECTOR
1. Approve the temporary borrowing of Treasury funds for FY 2019-20 by the Placer Hills Fire Protection District ($400,000) as prescribed by the California State Constitution.
ADJOURNMENT – To next regular meeting, on December 03, 2019.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ UPCOMING MEETING SCHEDULE:
December 03, 2019
December 10, 2019
December 17, 2019
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Board after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection at the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors Office, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, during normal business hours. Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
Any document submitted for consideration shall be submitted to the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603 no later than 5:00 p.m. the day before the scheduled meeting. Any documentation submitted at any noticed videoconferencing site will become part of the official record, but will not be disseminated to the Board prior to the Board’s action. NOTE: An alternate location may be offered as a courtesy for a Board meeting but may be closed due to inclement weather or may not be available if technology fails.
To watch Board meetings or view Agendas online, go to Placer County’s website www.placer.ca.gov