COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
Tuesday, September 12, 2023
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Bonnie Gore, District 1 Jane Christenson, County Executive Officer
Shanti Landon, District 2 Karin Schwab, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3, Chair Megan Wood, Clerk of the Board
Suzanne Jones, District 4, Vice Chair Marci Branaugh, Deputy Clerk of the Board
Cindy Gustafson, District 5
The board meeting will be open to in-person attendance. The entire meeting will be available on livestream. Public Comment will be opened for each agenda item, and citizens may comment virtually through a Zoom meeting webinar https://www.placer.ca.gov/boslive utilizing the “raise hand” function or if you have joined the Zoom meeting via phone at 877-853-5247 using the Webinar ID 910 0935 4815 please dial *9 to “raise hand” and queue for Public Comment. Please raise your hand at the time the Chair announces the item. Please Note:
Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
FLAG SALUTE: Led by Supervisor Gustafson
CONSENT AGENDA: All items on the Consent Agenda have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. The Board will convene as the Housing Authority for Item #23.A. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Persons may address the Board on items not on this agenda. Please limit comments to 3 minutes per person since the time allocated for Public Comment is 15 minutes. If all comments cannot be heard within the 15-minute time limit, the Public Comment period will be taken up at the end of the regular session. The Board is not permitted to take any action on items addressed under Public Comment.
BOARD MEMBER AND COUNTY EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
1. COUNTY EXECUTIVE
1. Adopt an Urgency Ordinance prohibiting the establishment, operation, use, and/or participation in needle exchange or distribution programs within the unincorporated areas of the County.
2. Determine that the proposed action is exempt from the California Environmental Quality Act pursuant to CEQA Guidelines section 15061(b)(3),and is not a project pursuant to section 15378.
1. Approve a Commendation for Deputy Jeffrey Davis for twenty-five years of dedicated public service as a full-time employee of the Placer County Sheriff’s Office.
3. HUMAN RESOURCES
1. Approve a side letter agreement between the County and the Placer Public Employees Organization to update salaries for the classifications of Correctional Officer I, Correctional Officer II, and Correctional Sergeant.
2. Introduce an Ordinance, waive oral reading, to amend the un-codified Schedule of Classifications and Compensation Ordinance to revise the salaries of the Correctional Officer I, Correctional Officer II, and Correctional Sergeant classifications.
4. FACILITIES MANAGEMENT
1. Adopt a Resolution approving the acquisition of aircraft Hangar H-2 (Property) located at the Auburn Municipal Airport (APN 052-190-018-000), Auburn, California for the Placer County Sheriff’s Office fixed wing airplane from KAUN East Hangar Development, LLC for an estimated cost of $481,000; and authorizing the Director of Facilities Management, or designee, to take all necessary actions to acquire the Property and to execute and implement the terms of the following agreements, subject to County Counsel and Risk Management concurrence:
a. Purchase and Sale Agreement Hangar Bay H-2, Auburn Municipal Airport.
b. Sublease of Auburn Municipal Airport Ground Lease East Area Hangar Buildings – Rows “G-L”.
c. County of Placer Equivalency Agreement with the Auburn East Hangars Phase II Owners, LLC and KAUN East Hangar Development LLC.
2. Determine the requested actions are exempt from California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) review pursuant to CEQA Guidelines Section 15301, or alternatively, determine the requested actions are not a project pursuant to CEQA Guidelines Section 15378.
5. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
1. Approve a Proclamation recognizing September 2023 as “Hunger Action Month” in Placer County.
6. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
1. Adopt a Resolution honoring the Agency on Aging/Area 4 on their 50th Anniversary.
7. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY
A. Bickford Ranch Specific Plan – Phase 1, Small Lot Vesting Tentative Subdivision Map Modification, Third Amendment to the Corrected Amended and Restated Development Agreement (PLN23-00257) – Supervisorial District 3
1. Find the proposed amendment to the Amended Corrected Restated Development Agreement and corresponding modification to the Small Lot Vesting Tentative Subdivision Map conditions of approval to be exempt from further environmental review in accordance with Government Code Section 65457, Public Resources Code Section 21166 and CEQA Guidelines Section 15182 and to be subject to streamlined review under Section 15183.
2. Adopt an Ordinance approving the Third Amendment to the Amended Corrected Restated Development Agreement by and between the County of Placer and West Bickford Holdings, LLC, a Delaware Limited Liability Company, Ridgeview Land Ventures, LLC, a Delaware Limited Liability Company, Boulder Ridge Estates, LLC, a Delaware Limited Liability Company, Sierra Hills Investors, LLC, a Delaware Limited Liability Company, Bickford Improvement Company, LLC, a California limited liability company, and SH AA Bickford, LLC, a Delaware Limited Liability Company, relative to the Bickford Ranch Specific Plan.
3. Approve the modification to the Bickford Ranch Phase 1 Vesting Tentative Subdivision Map and associated conditions of approval.
8. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY
1. Accept the improvements for the Bickford Ranch Offsite Sewer ESD17-00333 project as complete.
2. Authorize the Faithful Performance and Labor and Materials sureties to be set at the following amount and authorize the Community Development Resource Agency Director, or designee, to release the remaining surety upon completion of the applicable retention period:
a. Faithful Performance – Set at 10 percent of the value of any otherwise unsecured public improvements immediately upon the Board of Supervisors’ approval, with the release of the remaining security upon expiration of the warranty period.
b. Labor and Material – Set at 50 percent or the total of all claims per Government Code Section 66499.7, whichever is higher, with the release of the remaining security upon expiration of the claims period.
3. Determine the proposed actions are consistent with the Final Environmental Impact Report which was certified by the Board of Supervisors on December 8, 2015.
9. PLACER COUNTY TRANSPORTATION PLANNING AGENCY
1. Receive an update from Placer County Transportation Planning Agency (PCTPA) on current planning and outreach efforts.
10. HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
1. Receive a presentation on the FY 2022-23 annual report of activities of the Placer County Mental Health, Alcohol and Drug Advisory Board, and the status of the mental health and substance abuse treatment programs in Placer County.
11. FACILITIES MANAGEMENT
1. Authorize Change Order No. 3 to Construction Contract, SCN103790, with Turner Construction Company for the Health and Human Services Center project, PJ00113, in the amount not to exceed $486,582 to address utility relocation issues and approve an increase of the Owner-Controlled Contingency in the amount of $1,000,000 for a total of $2,336,283 resulting in a new total construction contract amount of $81,749,697.
2. Determine the requested actions are consistent with the Final Environmental Impact Report for the PCGC Master Plan Update project which covered the Health and Human Services Center project (SCH#2017092020).
12. HUMAN RESOURCES
1. Introduce a codified Ordinance, waive oral reading, to amend various sections of Chapter 3 of the Placer County Code to update policies and achieve alignment with current labor agreements, classification updates, and current practice.
13. PUBLIC WORKS
14. COUNTY COUNSEL/ADJOURN TO CLOSED SESSION: Pursuant to the cited authority (all references are to the Government Code), the Board of Supervisors will hold a closed session to discuss the following listed items. A report of any action taken will be presented prior to adjournment.
(a) Jane Doe v. John Persinger, et al
Placer County Superior Court Case No. S-CV-0050294
(B) GOVERNMENT CODE SECTION §54957 – PUBLIC EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE EVALUATION - Quarterly Report
Title: County Executive Officer
1. Approve Final Budget Amendments necessary to complete the accounting transactions for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2023.
16. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY
1. CNDA 23-00162 Co, Anna (Personal Injury) Undetermined
2. CNDA 23-00167 Oleinik, Alison (Personal Injury) In excess of $25,000
1. Adopt a Resolution appointing in lieu of election the individuals who completed the district director candidate filing process for the McKinney Water District, and authorize the Chair to execute Certificates of Appointment for the individuals.
18. COMMITTEES AND COMMISSIONS
1. Approve the appointment of Bob Snyder to seat #3 representing At-Large of the Greater Auburn Area Fire Safe Council.
1. Approve the reappointment of George Alves to seat #2 of the Greater Lincoln Fire Safe Council.
1. Approve the appointment of April McDonald-Loomis to the unexpired term of seat #7 representing the Historical Society of the Historical Advisory Council.
1. Approve the appointment Mike Gardner to seat #4 representing District 5 of the North Auburn-Ophir Fire Safe Council.
1. Approve the reappointment of John Parola to seat #2 of the Roseville Cemetery District.
19. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY
1. Approve the Placer One (formerly Placer Ranch) Specific Plan Transit Master Plan.
2. Determine the proposed action is exempt from the California Environmental Quality Act pursuant to California Environmental Quality Act Guidelines Sections 15183 as well as 15162 through 15164.
20. COUNTY EXECUTIVE
1. Adopt a Resolution to reaffirm the Proclamation of a local emergency in Placer County due to the December 26, 2021 Winter Storms.
1. Adopt a Resolution to reaffirm the Proclamation of a Local Emergency in Placer County due to the Mosquito Fire.
1. Adopt a Resolution to reaffirm the Proclamation of a Local Emergency in Placer County due to the 2022/2023 Early Winter Storms.
1. Adopt a Resolution to reaffirm the Proclamation of a Local Emergency in Placer County due to the 2023 February Winter Storms.
1. Authorize the County Executive Officer, or designee, to negotiate and execute an addendum to an agreement with Zencity Technologies US Inc, subject to Risk Management and County Counsel concurrence, in an amount not to exceed $120,000 for the period of August 26, 2023 through August 26, 2026.
21. FACILITIES MANAGEMENT
1. Authorize the Director of Facilities Management, or designee, to award and execute a design contract with Wallis Design Studio Architects, Inc. not-to-exceed $150,095, upon concurrence of County Counsel and Risk Management, including authority to approve any necessary change orders, not to exceed $13,645 consistent with County Purchasing Manual and Section 20142 of the Public Contract Code.
2. Determine the requested action is exempt from the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) review pursuant to CEQA Guidelines Section 15301.
22. HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
1. Adopt a Resolution to reaffirm a Local Health Emergency Declaration by the Placer County Interim Health Officer due to the immediate public health threat caused by hazardous waste and debris from the Mosquito Fire.
1. Approve a Proclamation declaring September 2023 as Recovery Month in Placer County.
1. Approve an amendment with Advocates for Mentally Ill Housing, Inc. to provide Transitional Housing Program and Housing Navigator Program services to Transition Age Youth to increase compensation by $148,849 for a new amount not to exceed $269,194 and to extend the term of the agreement for an additional year for a revised term of July 1, 2023 through June 30, 2025, authorize the Director of Health and Human Services to sign the agreement with Risk Management and County Counsel concurrence, and to sign subsequent amendments up to $26,919 consistent with the agreement’s subject matter and scope of work with Risk Management and County Counsel concurrence.
1. Approve a Proclamation declaring September 2023 as “Prostate Cancer Awareness Month” in Placer County.
23. HOUSING AUTHORITY
1. Approve an agreement with National Credit Reporting Services for non-criminal justice administrative functions involving the handling of Criminal History Record Information (CHRI) in an amount not to exceed $80,000 for a term of three years from date of execution and authorize the Executive Director of the Placer County Housing Authority to sign the agreement with Risk Management and County Counsel concurrence, and to sign subsequent amendments up to $8,000, consistent with the agreement’s subject matter and scope of work with Risk Management and County Counsel concurrence.
24. PROCUREMENT - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $500,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda.
1. Approve a FY 2023-24 Budget Amendment #AM-00877 for CC11001 - District Attorney’s Office in the amount of $230,000 and cancel Public Safety Fund Reserves in the amount of $230,000.
2. Approve the award of a purchase order to Miles Treaster & Associates of Sacramento, CA in an amount not to exceed $230,000 for the purchase of systems furniture utilizing a competitively awarded cooperative contract.
3. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to execute all required documents.
25. PUBLIC WORKS
1. Adopt a Resolution ratifying the submission of a regional grant application with the City of Auburn to CalRecycle for $100,000 for the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Grant Program, authorizing the submittal of future applications for all CalRecycle HHW grants for which the City of Auburn and the County of Placer are eligible, and authorizing the Director of Public Works, or designee, to execute HHW grant program agreements pursuant to the terms contained in the Resolution.
2. Determine the proposed action is not a project pursuant to CEQA Guidelines Section 15378.
1. Approve the transfer of ownership of two vehicles and seven pieces of equipment from the City of Lincoln to the County of Placer resulting from the Lincoln SMD 1 Wastewater Authority formation in December 2022.
2. Determine the proposed action is not a project pursuant to CEQA Guidelines Section 15378.
1. Approve an increase to supplier contracts with Flo-Line Technology, Inc. (SCN105903) in the amount of $75,000 for a revised maximum amount of $125,000, and All Electric Motors, Inc. (SCN105904) in the amount of $25,000 for a revised maximum amount of $75,000 for the period of April 1, 2023 through March 31, 2024 for wastewater pump repairs.
2. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign all required documents.
3. Determine the proposed actions are not projects pursuant to CEQA Guidelines Section 15378.
1. Approve and authorize the Chair to execute Professional Services Agreement No. 001329 with Mark Thomas & Company, Inc., of San Jose, California for civil engineering services for the Sunset Boulevard over Union Pacific Railroad and Industrial Avenue Bridge Replacement Project in an amount not to exceed $432,686, subject to County Counsel and Risk Management concurrence.
2. Authorize the Director of Public Works, or designee, to execute contract amendments up to $43,268 consistent with the County Procurement Policy Manual, subject to Risk Management and County Counsel concurrence.
3. Determine the proposed actions are consistent with the Final Environmental Impact Report for the Sunset Area Plan/Placer Ranch Specific Plan, certified by the Board of Supervisors December 10, 2019.
26. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
1. Approve appropriation of $1,200 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Lincoln Rotary Club Foundation, 21st annual Tour de Lincoln bike ride as requested by Supervisor Gore ($200), and Supervisor Landon ($1,000).
1. Approve appropriation of $3,250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Placer Land Trust, Placer Conservator Reception as requested by Supervisor Gore ($500), Supervisor Landon ($500), Supervisor Holmes ($1,000), Supervisor Jones ($250), and Supervisor Gustafson ($1,000).
1. Approve appropriation of $1,750 in Revenue Sharing monies to The Forgotten Soldier Program, Fallen Heroes 111 – Mile Motorcycle Ride as requested by Supervisor Gore ($250), Supervisor Landon ($250), Supervisor Holmes ($500), Supervisor Jones ($500), and Supervisor Gustafson ($250).
27. TREASURER-TAX COLLECTOR
1. Approve the temporary borrowing of Treasury funds for FY 2023-24 by the Newcastle Fire Protection District ($550,000) and Placer Hills Fire Protection District ($1,000,000), as prescribed by the California State Constitution.
28. TREASURER-TAX COLLECTOR
ADJOURNMENT – To next regular meeting, on September 26, 2023.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ UPCOMING MEETING SCHEDULE:
September 26, 2023
October 16, 2023 (Tahoe)
October 17, 2023 (Tahoe)
October 31, 2023
November 14, 2023
November 28, 2023
December 05, 2023
December 12, 2023
Levine Act – Campaign Contributions (Government Code Section 84308)
As of January 1, 2023, the Levine Act (Government Code Section 84308) applies to Board of Supervisors proceedings involving a license, permit, or other entitlement for use.
Pursuant to Government Code Section 84308, no Board Member shall accept, solicit, or direct a contribution of more than $250 from any party or their agent, or from any participant or their agent, while a proceeding involving a license, permit, or other entitlement for use is pending before the County or for 12 months after a final decision is rendered in that proceeding. Any Board Member who has received a contribution of more than $250 within the preceding 12 months from a party or their agent, or from a participant or their agent, shall disclose that fact on the record of the proceeding and shall not make, participate in making, or in any way attempt to use their official position to influence the decision.
Pursuant to Government Code Section 84308(d), any party to a covered proceeding before the Board is required, and any participant to such a proceeding is strongly urged, to disclose on the record of the proceeding any contribution, including aggregated contributions, of more than $250 made within the preceding 12 months by them or their agent to any Board Member. The disclosure must include the name of the party or participant and any other person making the contribution, if any; the name of the recipient; the amount of the contribution; and the date the contribution was made. The disclosure shall occur in the manner required under Government Code Section 84308 and any applicable state or local regulations, opinions, or policies. No party or their agent, and no participant or their agent, shall make a contribution of more than $250 to any Board Member during the proceeding or for 12 months after a final decision is rendered in that proceeding.
The foregoing statements do not constitute legal advice, and parties and participants are urged to consult with their own legal counsel regarding the requirements of the law.
Any document submitted for consideration shall be submitted to the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603 no later than 5:00 p.m. the day before the scheduled meeting. Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Board after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection at the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors Office, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, during normal business hours. All written or emailed public comments received prior to 5 p.m. the day prior to the meeting will be provided to the Board members electronically or in written format. Emails received through the Clerk’s email address above during the meeting will still become part of the record for the Board meeting and retained by the Clerk. Citizens may submit their comments in written form at the following link: https://www.placer.ca.gov/FormCenter/Clerk-of-the-Board-29/Public-Comment-Submission-157. The public may always email comments to the Clerk of the Board [email protected] or mail the same through the U.S. Postal Service to the County, Attn: Clerk of the Board, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603.
To watch Board meetings or view Agendas online, go to Placer County’s website www.placer.ca.govBoard meeting agendas are publicly posted for review on the county website at https://www.placer.ca.gov/8483/_2023