How can I enter into a Williamson Act Agreement?

The first step is to submit an application to the Planning Department along with the appropriate filing fee. The County’s Agricultural Commission will review the application and make recommendations to the Board of Supervisors, based upon the agricultural operation. The application will also be reviewed by the Planning Commission; their comments will address potential land use conflicts. The Board of Supervisors will then hold a formal public hearing and decide whether to enter into a Land Conservation Agreement with the property owner. If the Board approves the application, an Agricultural Preserve will be established, and the agreement will then be entered into with the landowner.

For further information regarding the Land Conservation Act, please contact the Planning Department at (530) 886-3000.

Show All Answers

1. What is the purpose of the California Land Conservation Act (CLCA) or Williamson Act?
2. How does the Williamson Act work?
3. What is an Agricultural Preserve?
4. Who can qualify for Williamson Act?
5. Since the passage of Proposition 13, if landowners enter into an agreement, will their property taxes be reduced?
6. If there were to be a reduction, would it be for the current year's taxes?
7. What must landowners agree to do under the Williamson Act Agreement?
8. How long does the Williamson Act Agreement run?
9. How can the Williamson Act Agreement be terminated?
10. What other ways may the Williamson Act Agreement be cancelled?
11. Should landowners withhold any land?
12. Can I sell my land during the terms of the agreement?
13. How can I enter into a Williamson Act Agreement?