Do I need a burn permit from the Air Pollution Control District?

An air district burn permit is required for land development burning. An air district burn permit is only issued for vegetation removed for residential development purposes from the property of a single or two family dwelling or when the burn permit applicant has provided a demonstration. A demonstration needs to be made that there is no practical alternative that can be used in lieu of burning to dispose of the vegetation. In addition to other information provided in the application, the demonstration shall include a discussion of the availability and feasibility of the alternatives to open burning, including:

  • Implementation costs
  • Efforts made to reduce the quantity of material to be burned
  • The impact of burning upon air quality conditions
  • Such other factors that warrant inclusion such as weather considerations, topography, and hazardous fire conditions

Fire Agency Burn Permits may also be required. Contact your local fire agency for further information.

Show All Answers

1. What is land development burning?
2. Do I need a burn permit from the Air Pollution Control District?
3. What can be burned?
4. What are illegal-disallowed combustibles?
5. Are there alternatives to burning?
6. Once I have an air pollution permit, how should I burn my material?
7. Can I burn stumps or larger vegetation?
8. When can I burn?
9. Who can I contact for information on burning and air quality?