The following information is requested when filing a complaint:
- A detailed description of the problem
- Nature of the problem
- Location where the problem was observed
- Suspected source, and type of operation, if applicable
- Date, time, duration, and frequency that the problem has been observed, and whether the problem is occurring at the time the complaint is made
- Wind condition (speed) and direction at the location of the problem
- Impacts on your health, comfort and/or property
- Your name, address, and phone number
The District may elect to not investigate complaints that are submitted anonymously, or that do not contain a phone number at which you can be contacted, or which lack the location and a brief description of the problem. This information is required to conduct an effective and efficient investigation, and allow for appropriate enforcement action.
The District has limited resources to respond to and investigate complaints. For this reason, the District will only investigate those complaints where the problem location is clearly identified or we can seek additional information by contacting the person who submitted the complaint (the complainant). The District wishes to prevent wasting resources on incomplete, vague, or fraudulent information.
In addition, if District staff do not observe a violation of District rules it may be necessary to base enforcement upon the nuisance complaints of a number of persons, in which case your testimony may be required. The identity of complainants will be kept confidential by the District to the extent possible, unless identities must be disclosed due to litigation. However in neighborhood situations or where there are existing conflicts the identity of the complainant might be assumed or guessed. Complainants may bring suit in private nuisance cases where the District and other public agencies are unable to remedy the situation.