What benefits can my family get?

Spina Bifida Birth Defect

In 1996, President Clinton and Veterans Affairs Secretary Jesse Brown asked Congress to pass legislation providing health care, monthly disability compensation, and vocational rehabilitation to the children of Vietnam veterans suffering from the serious birth defect spina bifida, which has been linked to the veterans' exposure to Agent Orange. Congress passed the legislation, marking the first time our nation had ever compensated the children of veterans for a birth defect associated with their parent's exposure to toxic chemicals during their military service. Veterans Affairs is now providing benefits to over 800 children, including minors and adults.

Effective December 16, 2003, Congress authorized these benefits to children with Spina Bifida of certain veterans who served at or near the demilitarized zone in Korea between September 1, 1967 and August 31, 1971, because Agent Orange is known to have been sprayed in that area.

Show All Answers

1. What is Agent Orange?
2. As a Vietnam Veteran, what kind of benefits can I get?
3. How much compensation will I get?
4. What evidence do I need?
5. Who can get benefits?
6. What benefits can my family get?
7. What are the survivor benefits?
8. What is my claim is denied?
9. Can I appeal beyond the Veteran Affairs Regional Office?
10. Can I appeal to a court?
11. What if I served in Vietnam and have a disease not on the Veteran Affair's list?
12. What if I was exposed to an herbicide outside Vietnam?