What if I'm homeless?

Families who are eligible for CalWorks and who are homeless can apply for a special need payment to meet their costs for temporary and permanent housing. The maximum Homeless assistance payment is based on the size of the CalWorks family. Homeless Assistance is available once every 12 months unless the family is homeless due to domestic violence, natural disaster, inhabitability, or a physical or mental disability and the family qualifies for an exemption.

CalWorks families may be eligible to apply for Homeless Assistance benefits to assist with the payment of rent arrearages. Payment of arrearages is considered to be the family’s once every 12 month Homeless Assistance payment.

Show All Answers

1. How do I apply for CalWorks?
2. Do I have to have children to be eligible for CalWorks?
3. Do I have to be a U.S. citizen to be eligible?
4. What is the maximum aid I can receive?
5. When do I report changes?
6. How will working affect my cash aid?
7. What if I'm homeless?
8. How long can I be on CalWorks?
9. If I am approved for benefits, how do I access them?
10. What happens if my electronic benefit transfer card is not working?
11. What if I have lost my electronic benefit transfer card?
12. If I am a pregnant or parenting teen, can I receive CalWorks?
13. If I receive supplemental security income/state supplemental payments, am I eligible for benefits?
14. What if I have a cash emergency?
15. What is welfare to work?
16. How do I find out information about my benefits?