What if I have a cash emergency?

If you have a cash emergency, you may apply for an Immediate Need payment when you apply for CalWorks. Tell your case manager you have the emergency. Immediate Need payments may be available to families in emergency situations while the CalWorks application is being processed. The maximum immediate need payment is $200.

If you are apparently eligible to the CalWorks program you may be eligible for an Immediate Need Payment, within 24 hours, based on an emergency situation that may include, but is not limited to the following:

  • Clothing needs
  • Lack of food
  • Lack of housing
  • Pending eviction
  • Transportation
  • Utility shutoff notice
  • Other immediate health and safety issues

Show All Answers

1. How do I apply for CalWorks?
2. Do I have to have children to be eligible for CalWorks?
3. Do I have to be a U.S. citizen to be eligible?
4. What is the maximum aid I can receive?
5. When do I report changes?
6. How will working affect my cash aid?
7. What if I'm homeless?
8. How long can I be on CalWorks?
9. If I am approved for benefits, how do I access them?
10. What happens if my electronic benefit transfer card is not working?
11. What if I have lost my electronic benefit transfer card?
12. If I am a pregnant or parenting teen, can I receive CalWorks?
13. If I receive supplemental security income/state supplemental payments, am I eligible for benefits?
14. What if I have a cash emergency?
15. What is welfare to work?
16. How do I find out information about my benefits?