View all facilities

Auburn Library

Features

  1. Internet Workstations
  2. Photocopier
  3. WiFi

Amenities


  • 2 Early Literacy Stations (for ages 2 to 8)
  • 3 Self Checkout machines
  • After School Edge Station (for ages 6 to 12)
  • Community Meeting Room
  • Photocopier
  • Twice Monthly Friends of the Library Used Book Sale
  • Two Internet stations for children's use only
  • WiFi throughout the building
  • ZoomText Magnifier/Reader computer station
  • 12 Internet workstations (with Microsoft Office: Word and Excel)

For more information, see Library Services.

Garden Theater


Adjacent to the Auburn Library is the Garden Theater. Garden Theater reservations and maintenance are handled through Placer County Facility Services Parks and Grounds division. For details, please visit the Placer County Facility Services, Parks and Grounds Division page.

About the Library


The Auburn Library offers a variety of reading areas, puppets and toys for imaginative play, an oversized storybook chair; expanded teen seating area, a Local History collection, and a popular community room that features monthly art displays, Friends of the Library Noon programs, and ongoing events.

Senior Librarian: Sophie Bruno.

History of the Auburn Library


According to library trustee Mrs. K.D. Robinson, the idea for a local Auburn library began in 1888 when a group of women published "The Little Gem Cook Book," in which they compiled their favorite recipes. Proceeds from the sale of this book went to support the creation of the first Auburn Library, which was housed in a variety of locations until 1906 when the city assumed responsibility for it.

In 1907, a $10,000.00 grant was approved courtesy of the Andrew Carnegie Corporation and a permanent library building was constructed the following year at 175 Almond Street. The new Auburn City Library was dedicated on May 26, 1909. In 1937, free library service for those who lived outside the city limits came to fruition when the Placer County Library was added to the lower floor of the City Library Building. By 1958, the county library outgrew the space and relocated to the Shepard Square Building.

By 1967, the city and county libraries were merged, and the city library joined the county library in the same building. The combined libraries were temporarily housed in Palm Center and then in a building on the former DeWitt Hospital grounds. Finally on August 10, 1971, ground was broken for a new building on 350 Nevada Street, its present location.


Find Auburn Library programs in the calendar below, and/or visit Events for a full listing of programs at all Library Locations.

Subfacilities

  1. Auburn Library Children's Area

    View Subfacility
  2. Auburn Library Computer Area

    View Subfacility
  3. Auburn Library Meeting Room

    View Subfacility
  4. Auburn Library Quiet Study Room

    View Subfacility
Go to Calendar

Availability

Select Subfacilities
Subscribe to Calendar Updates