|Other Link||View Calendar of Events for Colfax Library|
- Air Conditioned
- Internet Workstations
Computers & Technology
- WiFi throughout the building and parking lot
- 3 Internet & Microsoft Office workstations
- On-going Friends of the Library bookshelf in library during open hours.
- Air-conditioned building
- 1 self-checkout machine
- 1 photocopier and 1 printer
Spaces & Equipment
- Friends of the Library bookshelf
- Small parking lot
- Bike rack located at park next door
- Benches outside library
- Accepts cash or personal check to pay fines and fees.
Public Transportation Routes
Colfax Library can be accessed via bus and train. There is an Amtrak station a short walk from the library and Colfax is on the California Zephyr route. Colfax is also on the Capitol Corridor route for Sacramento to Roseville/Colfax/Reno (or vice versa). Greyhound bus also stops close to the library.
About the Colfax Library
Colfax Library radiates ambience and charm while offering modern features of an urban library. Situated in the historic railroad city of Colfax , the library features comfortable reading areas for adults, children, and teens. The Juvenile section is a wonderland with a large stained-glass window creating a magical place to read to your children.
Librarian: Janice Christen-Whitney
Library Specialist: Sue Siefert
History of the Colfax Library
Colfax Library is believed to have been started by a group of volunteer women in 1938. The first-known library was housed in a small building next to the home of Mrs. Viscia located on Grass Valley Street. In 1943, the library was moved to the old bakery building at the North end of Main Street.
The library moved again in 1946 to a small building next door to Kaufmann's Gas Station and Garage. The library remained there until 1951 when it moved next door into the former telephone company building. The library stayed in this building for twenty years, and then in 1971 it moved to the Justice Building on the corner of Culver Street. Finally in 1976, the library made its final move to the old Colfax Post Office building (opened in 1855) at the corner of Church and Main.
With much help from the Friends of the Colfax Library, an expansion project was completed in 2010. The building encompasses 3600 square feet and features historic embellishments such as the library’s two staff closets made out of the old walk-in safes used by the post office.
For more information related to the history of Colfax, visit the Colfax Area Historical Society (CAHS) and Colfax Heritage Museum.