Skip to content

Open Burning

Placer County administers the county’s burn program as provided for in the California Health and Safety Code. Smoke Management Burning rules can be found in the District’s Regulation 3 – Open Burning. Except for Residential Allowable Burning and Recreational Burning, all open burning requires a burn permit from the Placer County Air Pollution Control District. The payment of all applicable permit fees is required for a permit to be valid.

Contact your local fire agency before you burn to find out their requirements, including fire agency burn permits.

This FAQ - Burning Requirements can help you determine if you need an Air District Burn permit.

Below is a brief description of the types of burning allowed in Placer County.

Residential Allowable Burning

Materials originating from the property of a single or two family dwelling, limited to the burning of dry vegetation (with no dirt). Lawn clippings cannot be burned.

Agricultural Burning

The use of open outdoor fires used in agricultural operations in the growing of crops (e.g. plants or fruit/nut trees or Christmas tree farm prunings or a nursery or raising of fowl or animals) for the primary purpose of making a profit or providing a livelihood.

Range Improvement Burning

The use of open outdoor fires to remove vegetation for a wildlife, game or livestock habitat, or for the initial establishment of an agricultural practice on previously uncultivated land.

The use of open outdoor fires, as part of a forest management practice, clean up of vegetation after a timber harvest, tree farm activities or silvicultural practices related with managing timber/forest including prescribed burning. 

Wildland Vegetation Management Burning

The use of prescribed burning conducted by a public agency or through a cooperative agreement or contract involving a public agency to burn land predominantly covered with chaparral, trees, grass or standing brush.

Land Development Burning

The use of open outdoor fires for the disposal of vegetative material (woodwaste) grown on property being developed for commercial or residential purposes. Woodwaste greater than 12 inches in diameter, with the exception of stumps shall not be included in the burn. Stumps greater than 12 inches in diameter at the cut shall not be included in the burn unless split at least in half and free of dirt. All vegetation must be dried at least 6 weeks prior to burning.

Right of Way Clearing and Levee, Ditch, and Maintenance Burning

The use of open outdoor fires for the disposal of vegetative material and woodwaste debris for right-of-way clearing by a public entity or for levee, ditch or reservoir maintenance.

Hazard Reduction Burning

Burning to reduce a fire hazard or health hazard, which will have an imminent effect on life and property as determined by a Public Officer with jurisdiction. Burning to dispose of brush cuttings on the property where the brush was grown when the cuttings resulted from brush clearance done in compliance with local ordinances to reduce fire hazard.

Recreation Open Fires

The use of open outdoor fires for recreational purposes or for the cooking of food for human consumption.

City of Roseville Requirements