Skip to content

Tattoos & Body Art

We permit and inspect all body art facilities in the county, and require Body Art Practitioner registration.  

Registered Body Art Practitioners

If you would like to become a permitted practitioner, you must meet the following requirements:

  1. You must be 18 years of age.
  2. You must have completed a Cal/OSHA compliant Bloodborne Pathogen Training course.
  3. You must submit an application to Environmental Health.

Opening a Body Art Facility

Prior to opening or obtaining a permit through Environmental Health, you will need to contact your local city (or county if located in an unincorporated area) for:

Once all of the above is completed, you will need to submit to Plan Check with Environmental Health.  The specialist assigned to your project will review your plans and make any notes or conditional requirements to make sure your facility is up to current codes.  After your plans have been approved you may begin construction.  

Once construction is complete and you have had your final inspection, you will need to submit a completed Health Permit Application prior to opening.

Temporary Events

If you plan on organizing a Tattoo or Body Art Event you must start by submitting to Environmental Health an Event Coordinator Packet.

It is the event coordinators responsibility to acquire a completed Practitioner Notification Form from each booth, and Proof of Registration from every artist slated to attend the event.

All documentation and required fees shall be submitted to Environmental Health no less than 60 days prior to the event.  Late applications will be subject to penalty fees.

Illegal Tattooing

It is illegal to perform tattoo or body art services outside of permitted facilities or without registration with the county.  If you know of someone that is offering illegal services out of their home, garage, or other location, please submit a complaint to our office.