Skip to content

Housing Complaints

We respond to complaints regarding hazardous conditions in rental properties, both residential and commercial.  A complaint must be filed by the resident/tenant of the dwelling in order for Environmental Health to respond.  The order in which complaints are processed is based on risk. First priority is given to those situations that involve imminent threats to public health and safety.

For housing complaints in the Cities of Auburn, Colfax, Lincoln, Rocklin, Roseville, and Loomis, please contact the City code enforcement.  Environmental Health will respond to complaints in unincorporated areas of Placer County. 

High Priority Items

Those items that must be repaired within 48-72 hours of notification to the property management/landlord:

  • Lack of potable (clean) water or hot water.
  • Lack of electricity.
  • Lack of heat.
  • Sewage backup into dwelling or released onto the ground.

Before filing a complaint, individuals must first notify the property management/landlord and attempt to resolve the issue. If a resolution has not been reached within 48-72 hours, a complaint may be filed.

Low Priority Items

Those items that should be addressed within 30 days of notification to the property management/landlord:

  • Dampness
  • Vermin or pest infestations
    • NOTE: Environmental Health does NOT address bed bug issues
  • Garbage accumulation
  • Inadequate structural maintenance
  • Severely dilapidated structures

In order for Environmental Health to investigate, every effort must be made to work with the property management/landlord to resolve the problem.  Written proof of notification to the property management/landlord must be submitted with the complaint and at least 30 days must have passed since the notification. Complaints submitted without proof of notification to property management/landlord will not be investigated.

Written notification to the property management/landlord should be submitted via a certified letter with a return receipt and must contain the following information:

  1. The condition which is making the dwelling unlivable.
  2. The expected outcome to make the dwelling livable.
  3. The timeline for repairs (30 days).
  4. Your intentions should repairs not be made within the timeline.

Once the property management/landlord has been notified and the 30 days for repairs have passed without response, a complaint may be filed.

Low priority complaints are processed in the order in which they are received

All Other Items 

Those items that will NOT be addressed by Environmental Health include:

  • Mold
  • Bed bugs
  • Noise
  • Smells
  • Unsightly appearance (weathered paint, worn carpets, holes in screens, etc.)
  • Landlord/Tenant or Tenant/Tenant disputes including eviction, non-payment of rent, breach of contract, withholding of rent, etc.
  • Vacated dwellings – if the complainant has vacated or is expected to vacate within the next 30 days either by choice or eviction, except for High Priority Items, the complaint will not be investigated.

Filing a Complaint

When filing a complaint be sure to fill out the form completely. Ensure the following items are included:

  • Dwelling address
  • Assessors Parcel Number (find the APN here)
  • Phone number
  • Email address
  • Proof of notification of Low Priority Items
  • Name of tenant of record

Please be as descriptive as possible in your complaint.

File a Complaint

Mold Information

Bed Bug Information