Skip to content

Mandatory Commercial Organics Recycling

Mandatory Organics Recycling Regulation – AB 1826

Governor Jerry Brown signed AB 1826 into law in October 2014, requiring certain businesses to recycle their organic waste, beginning in 2016.

Recyclable organic waste accounts for about 40 percent of the material Californians dispose in landfills annually, according to the California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle).

With the passage of AB 1826, new organic recycling requirements are being phased in over several years and will help California meet its goal to recycle 75 percent of its waste by 2020.

Placer County is in the process of contacting businesses who are required to comply for each phase.

Who is required to comply with the law? 

Assembly Bill 1826 requires businesses, including public entities and multifamily complexes of five units or more, to recycle their organic waste. The law will be phased in over time.

What is considered "organic waste"? * 

  • Food waste (kitchen prep scrap, spoiled, damaged, uneaten, etc.)**
  • Green waste (landscaping & pruning waste)
  • Non-hazardous wood waste

*Per AB 1826
**Multifamily complexes are not required to recycle food waste.

How can businesses comply with the law? 

Placer County already recycles green waste and wood waste delivered to their Materials Recovery Facilities.  If businesses have an account with one of Placer County's contracted waste haulers (Recology Auburn Placer in the west, and Tahoe Truckee Sierra Disposal in the East) for these items, they are already complying with the law.

The requirement to recycle organics can be met by taking one, or any combination of the following, actions provided it’s in compliance with local ordinances and requirements:

  1. Contact your hauler to subscribe to their food waste collection service.

    Recology Auburn Placer

    Tahoe Truckee Sierra Disposal

  2. Recycle organic waste onsite

    Contact Placer County's Planning Services Division for land use permit requirements.

  3. Self-haul green and/or wood waste to Eastern or Western Materials Recovery Facilities and require landscape contractors to do the same as part of your agreement (food waste self-haul currently not available).
    Western MRF
    Eastern MRF.

  4. Donate to food banks.

When do businesses need to comply with the law? 

Compliance deadlines are dependent on the amount of waste generated per week:
April 1, 2016          8 or more cubic yards of organic waste
January 1, 2017     4 or more cubic yards of organic waste
January 1, 2019     4 or more cubic yards of solid waste

Placer County has evaluated the levels of organic waste generated by its businesses, public entities and multifamily complexes and is contacting those that are required to comply with the first deadlines.

Where can I find more information?

County & Hauler Contact Info 

Placer County Environmental Utilities  |  530.889.6846

Recology Auburn Placer

Tahoe Truckee Sierra Disposal

State Resources

Mandatory Organic Recycling (MORe) Home Page

Mandatory Organic Recycling (MORe) Frequently Asked Questions

CalRecycle Food Scrap Management Home Page