Built in 1851 as the Traveler’s Rest Hotel, the Bernhard House has been welcoming visitors for over 150 years. Filled with artifacts and furnishings from a bygone era, the Bernhard House transports visitors to a simpler time. The Bernhard Museum also serves as home to the third grade Living History Program.
The Bernhard Museum will be closed April 25th for our Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon.
To Schedule a group tour, call 530-889-6500
Living History Program for Schools
The whole experience lasts about four hours. Students leave with a much better understanding of what life was like over 100 years ago. The Living History Program is designed to meet specific third grade curriculum standards.
Online Video Training for parent volunteers!
Paren't Guide to Living History Success
Information handouts on parent led activities, by station: Laundry, Baking, Woodworking, Leather, Crafts, Biscuit Recipe
Teacher's Training Video
For more information or to reserve a date for the Living History Program for your class or school, call 530-889-6506. The cost is $10 per student.
- Restored Victorian Farmhouse
- Originally a Gold Rush Inn
- 19 Century Wagons in Carriage Barn
- Restored Wine Processing Building
- Site of Living History Program
291 Auburn-Folsom Road, Auburn, CA 95603
Open Tuesday through Sunday 11:00 am – 4:00 pm - Closed Holidays
Fees and Use
Taking professional or personal photographs is allowed on the grounds and is free. Please keep in mind some simple rules:
1. You must register with the Museum Office (530-889-6500)**Photographers who have registered with the Museums Office & reserved a date/time will have priority over locations.
2. Park outside the gate, parking on the gravel is reserved for museum visitors.
3. Please do not move benches or artifacts. If you must move a doormat, please return it.
4. You need permission from Bonitata Boutique Wine to take photographs in the vineyard. It is very easy to damage a grapevine and you may be liable.
5. Photographs are not allowed onsite during Living History unless you are a parent, teacher or guardian.
Also, we'd love to see your photos! You can tag them with #bernhardmuseum so we can find them. And while it is free, feel free to send a donation to Placer County Museums, 101 Maple Street, Auburn, CA 95603.