Skip to content

Adult Protective Services

To Report Elder Abuse, Please Call the 24-HOUR Confidential Hotline at:
916-787-8860 or 1-888-886-5401
101 Cirby Hills Dr., Roseville, CA 95678, Fax 530-265-9376

Be prepared to provide the name, address or location, age, race, and sex of the victim.

Assists elderly and dependent adults to maintain their health and safety in the community in the least restrictive environment. +more

Adult Protective Services (APS) receives reports of abuse and neglect of elderly and dependent adults residing in their homes for investigation and evaluation of their need for protection and/or services. APS provides and/or coordinates support services for emergency situations.

APS is a 24-hour service program that investigates all situations involving Placer County residents (age 65 and older) and dependent adults (age 18-64 and physically or mentally impaired) who are reported to be endangered by physical, sexual, financial abuse, isolation, neglect or self-neglect.

Mandated by the state, APS is defined by the Welfare and Institutions Code 15610.10 as the agency that provides preventive and remedial activities performed on behalf of elders and dependent adults who are unable to protect their own interests, harmed, or threatened with harm, caused physical or mental injury due to the action or inaction of another person or their own action as a result of ignorance, illiteracy, incompetence, mental limitation, substance abuse, or poor health, lacking in adequate food, shelter, or clothing, exploited of their income and resources, or deprived of entitlement due them.

APS is mandated by law to investigate reports of abuse, APS will make contact with the alleged victim, offer referrals and intervene when appropriate and necessary

Referrals offered may include:

  • Meals on Wheels
  • Transportation
  • Medical / Behavioral Health Services
  • Legal Aid
  • Veterans Services
  • Caregiver/family support

If you are interested in having a presentation about elder abuse or would like educational materials, please contact our office at 916-787-8860.

Types of Abuse

The following list outlines some of the more common types of abuse:


Type of












Physical Direct beatings, lack of medical care, over medication, sexual exploitation.
  • Physical abuse, or bodily harm
  • Sexual assault
  • Misuse of restraints
  • Assaultive behavior
  • Coercion
  • Intimidation
Abandonment The adult being cared for is deserted by caregiver.
Isolation Preventing a dependent adult from receiving mail, telephone calls, and visitors.
  • Preventing an elder or dependent adult from receiving mail, phone calls, or having contact with family, friends or concerned persons.
  • Moving an individual to another location against his/her will.
Financial Theft, misuse of funds or property, extortion, duress, fraud
  • Financial abuse is using the elder’s money or assets contrary to the elder’s wishes, needs, or best interests—or for the abuser’s personal gain.
  • This could include theft or misuse of money and credit cards, or forcing an elder/dependent adult to sign documents.
Neglect Denial of food, clothing, shelter, health care, or unable to provide basic needs.
  • Failure of a caregiver to provide basic needs.
  • Failure of an elder or dependent adult to provide for his/her own basic needs.
    • Food
    • water
    • shelter
    • personal care
    • Medical care, misuse of prescribed medications
    • personal safety
Self-Neglect Malnutrition, being unkempt, unmet medical needs, unpaid bills
Mental Verbal assaults, threats, fear

Possible Signs of Abuse

If you observe some or all of these occurring with an older or disabled adult, alert APS.

  • Injury that is inconsistent with the explanation for its cause.
  • The elder or dependent adult has recently become confused or disoriented.
  • The caregiver shows anger, indifference, and aggressive behavior toward the person.
  • Personal belongings, papers, credit cards are missing.
  • The caregiver has a history of substance abuse, mental illness, criminal behavior or family violence.
  • Lack of necessities such as food, water, utilities, medications, and medical care.
  • Another person’s name added to the client’s bank account or import documents or frequent checks made out to CASH.

Reporting Abuse

Benefits of Reporting Abuse

  • The elder or dependent adult will be given options to keep him/her safe from harm.
  • The APS worker can link the client, family to needed community resources.
  • Unaware family members, friends can be alerted to step in to help.
  • The APS worker can find ways to help the caregiver handle stress.
  • In some cases, the abuse perpetrator can be prosecuted, lessening the harm to others.
  • The reporter feels relief that a professional is assessing the situation.

The elder or dependent adult will be given options to keep him/her safe from harm

Any concerned person may report adult abuse/neglect and may do so anonymously (W&I Code §15631).

  • Family member, neighbor, friend
  • Anyone concerned about the health and safety of an elder or dependent adult.
  • Mandated Reporters such as:
    • Health Practitioners
    • Paid or Unpaid Caregivers
    • Clergy
    • Law Enforcement
    • Financial Institutions
    • Money transmitters

APS does not reveal the source of any abuse report.

Reporters are often the best collaborators with APS in making protective intervention planning to change the undesirable situation.

Report observation or suspicion of physical/sexual abuse, neglect, financial abuse, abduction, abandonment, isolation and self neglect.

To report abuse, please click on one of the following links accordingly:


Placer County Resources

  • Legal Services of Northern CA
    • 800-660-6107
  • Veterans Affairs
    • 800-827-1000
  • Senior Health Insurance (HICAP)
    • 800-434-0222
  • In Home Supportive Services
    • 916-787-8860
  • Placer County: MediCal & Food Stamps
    • 916-784-6000
    • 888-385-5160
  • Stand Up Placer
    • 916-773-7273 (Roseville Direct Services Office)
    • 530-885-0443 (Auburn Direct Services Office)
    • 1-800-575-5352 (24/7 Crisis Line)

Roseville-Auburn & Surrounding Area Resources

  • Seniors First
    • Meals-on-Wheels/Senior Café
    • Transportation—Health Express
    • Housing Options
    • Home Modification Safety Repairs
      • 800-878-9222
      • 530-889-9500
    • Placer Independent Resources (PIRS)
      • 530-885-6100

Placer Independent Resources (PIRS)

  • Senior Peer Counseling
    • 530-886-3413

Tahoe Area Resources 

  • Sierra Senior Services
    • Meals-on-Wheels /Community Dining
    • Health and Wellness Center
    • Resource Referrals & Library Assistance
    • Fun Activities with socialization
      • 530-550-7600
  • Project Mana (Hunger Relief)
    • 775-298-0008
  • TA.R.T. (Transportation)
    • 530-550-1212
  • N Tahoe Family Resource
    • 530-546-0952

Frequently Asked Questions

Who will APS evaluate?

Adults 65 or older or

A person 18-64 years who is dependent due to a physical or mental disability

If the APS social worker confirms that a person is not safe in their home, can they remove him or her and place the person in a safer environment?

APS can only remove a person from an unsafe home on a voluntary basis. If the person is mentally competent, APS has no jurisdiction.

If the client is thought to be mentally incompetent, APS will take legal steps to determine if a conservatorship or surrogate decision-maker is necessary

Does an APS worker locate housing for the homeless or individuals being evicted from their homes?

No, however APS can assess the client for out-of-home care, board and care home, assisted living, etc. and try to facilitate placement and make referrals to placement agencies.

If I report my suspicions about an abuse, but do not have proof, what will happen to me? Can I remain anonymous?

It is not necessary to have proof of one’s suspicions to make a report of a suspected abuse as long as the report is made in “good faith”.

There are penalties for making a false or malicious report of abuse.

If APS cannot get voluntary cooperation from a client who has been determined to be too frail to handle their financial affairs or resist undue influence, does APS automatically refer such cases for a Conservatorship?

No, there are many factors to determine if a Conservatorship should be pursued. Other methods are tried first which may alleviate the problem. If warranted, a referral may be made to the Placer County Public Guardian by the APS social worker.

Does APS find caregivers to go into the home of a frail client?

Yes, In Home Supportive Services (a state run program administered by the county for low income individuals) is one of the resources. Referrals to care giving agencies and nursing registries can be provided to the client.

How quickly can we expect a social worker to respond to a report that is not an emergency?

10 calendar days

What is an emergency response report?

An abuse or neglect incident or condition that is believed to likely result in permanent injury or death. An APS social worker will respond immediately to check on the client’s welfare. Emergency response services are available 24-hours a day, seven days a week.

For a printable brochure