Skip to content

Medi-Cal Program

Medi-Cal offers medical, dental, vision and mental health care to eligible individuals and families at little or no cost.

 If you are ineligible to Medi-Cal, affordable insurance plans are available through the health benefits exchange, Covered California, during their November through December open enrollment.

 Covered California


Am I Eligible

January 2014, the Affordable Care Act expanded Medi-Cal coverage to include adult customers between the ages of 19-64 with income limits up to 138% of the federal poverty level (FPL). See the 2016 annual income FPL chart below.

Household Size
100% FPL
138% FPL
250% FPL
 1 $11,880 $16,395 $29,700
 2  $16,020  $22,108 $40,050
 3  $20,160  $27,821  $50,400
 4  $24,300  $33,534  $60,750
 For Each Additional Person Add
 $4,160  $5,741  $10,400

For other Medi-Cal programs, income and property limits also apply. Even if you are working, own a house, are married, or have no children, you may be eligible for Medi-Cal programs that help pay medical expenses. Any person has the right to apply, but certain conditions must be met to qualify. It is important for anyone in need of medical assistance to contact Placer County Human Services Division to start an application.

Where Can I Apply

You can apply for Medi-Cal in several convenient ways:


By Mail:

Access the four page application on the following link:

Return completed application to Placer County, by mail:

Placer County Human Services
PO Box 20400
Auburn, CA 95604

By Phone:


In Person:

Placer County Government Center
11542 B Avenue Auburn, CA 95603
Phone: 530-889-7610 Fax: 530-889-7608

1000 Sunset Blvd. #220 Rocklin, CA 95765
Phone: 916-784-6000 Fax: 916-784-6100

North Lake Tahoe at Carnelian Bay
5225 North Lake Blvd. Carnelian Bay, CA 96140
Phone: 530-546-1900 Fax: 530-546-1912

What Do I Need to Bring

The following items may be needed to process your Medi-Cal case:

  • A picture identification card
  • Social Security card
  • Proof of US citizenship
  • Non-custodial parent's Social Security number (for child support cases)
  • Rent and utility receipts
  • Vehicle registration
  • Income and property verification such as checking and savings account statements.
  • Place of employment
  • Home and work address
  • Date of birth
  • Any prior court order information
  • If you are not receiving CalWORKs, your most recent employment information will also be required.

Special Programs

Confidential Medical Services for Minors: Confidential healthcare coverage is available to unmarried persons under age 21 and living with their parents. Medical services covered under this program are those relating to family planning, pregnancy, drug/alcohol abuse, venereal and other sexually transmitted infections, sexual assault, and outpatient mental health services for sexual or child abuse. Parental consent is currently not needed under the Minor Consent program.

Tuberculosis: This program covers outpatient TB-related services for persons who are TB-infected. Recipients will receive TB-related services at a no cost. Breast and Cervical Cancer Treatment Program: This program provides cancer treatment for eligible low-income California residents who are screened by the cancer detection programs: Every Woman Counts (CDP:EWC) or Family Planning, Access, Care and Treatment (Family PACT) programs and found to be in need of treatment for breast and/or cervical cancer.

250% Working Disabled Program: This program provides full-scope Medi-Cal to working disabled individuals with countable income below 250% of the federal poverty level (FPL). Eligible persons must pay a premium based upon their income. Undocumented immigrants are not eligible to this program.

Dialysis and Dialysis Supplemental Program: This program offers limited Medi-Cal coverage to persons who need special life sustaining medical treatment through dialysis. Eligible individuals pay a percentage of the treatment costs for services not covered by other insurance.

Total Parental Nutrition: This program offers limited Medi-Cal coverage to persons who need total nutrient replacement through a catheter due to an inability to eat and digest food. Eligible individuals pay a percentage of the treatment costs for services not covered by other insurance.


Frequently Asked Questions

The information on this page is for reference only. Speak to a staff person for the most up-to-date information.