Skip to content

General Relief / General Assistance

For single adults or couples with no dependent children, General Relief provides temporary cash aid for those who are not eligible for federal or state programs or other assistance programs. General Relief is a county funded program that provides financial assistance for eligible county residents who have no other means of support. All General Relief applicants must apply in person and be interviewed by an Eligibility Specialist to complete the application process.

Am I Eligible

There are four basic eligibility factors:

  • Income – All income is counted in the month it is received, and is deducted from the total grant amount.
  • Resources – The combined value of your real and personal property shall not exceed $50. One vehicle with a value of less than $1500 is allowed.
  • If you own your home, you will be required to sign a lien on the property. If and when this property is sold, the county will seek reimbursement.
  • Age – individuals applying for benefits must be at least 18 years old.
  • Residency – you must be a resident of Placer County for at least 15 days, and provide verification of your intent to continue to live in the county.

There may be other factors considered when determining your eligibility. Eligibility Specialists meet with you individually to discuss your situation at the time of your application.

Where Can I Apply

To apply for General Relief benefits, you must visit one of the offices listed below. You will be asked to complete application forms and have an interview with an Eligibility Specialist.

Auburn at DeWitt Center
11542 B Avenue
Auburn, CA 95603
530-889-7610 Fax - 530-889-7608

1000 Sunset Blvd. #220
Rocklin, CA 95765
916-784-6000 Fax - 916-784-6100

North Lake Tahoe at Carnelian Bay
5225 North Lake Blvd.
Carnelian Bay, CA 96140 
530-546-1900 Fax - 530-546-1912

All General Relief applicants must have a face to face interview to complete the application process.


What Do I Need to Bring

The following items (if applicable) are required to process your application:

  • A picture identification card.
  • Social Security card
  • Rent and utility receipts / proof of residency
  • Vehicle registration (if applicable)
  • Bank account statements (if applicable)
  • Proof of any income you receive (if applicable)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

The information on this page is for reference only. Speak to a Human Services staff for the most up-to-date information.