How should I notify Placer County that I would like to take a medical leave of absence?
- Submit to your supervisor as soon as possible an original health care provider's note indicating the need for a leave of absence and the expected date of return from the leave of absence; and an original Employee Request for Leave form.
What if I need to extend my medical leave?
- You should submit to your supervisor as soon as possible a new health care provider's note indicating the need for continued leave of absence and the expected date of return and an employee Request for Leave form.
What happens to my insurance benefits while on a medical leave?
If you fail to return to return to work after the FMLA leave, Placer County will recover its share of health plan premiums paid during a period of unpaid FMLA leave.
- Paid Status (using sick/vacation/CTO/Management Leave accruals)
- Benefit premiums continue to be paid through the payroll process and all your benefits remain intact.
- Unpaid Status (off payroll)
- While you are on FMLA, Placer County will pay the employer share of health, dental and vision premiums for up to 12 weeks. You will be responsible for your normal employee share. The Personnel Department will notify you of premiums due
- Non-FMLA Leave
- If you are on a non-FMLA leave of absence, you may be responsible for both the employee and employer premiums. Please contact the Personnel Department at (530) 889-4060 for premium costs.
What does Reasonable Accommodation mean?
- The purpose of reasonable accommodation is to provide equal employment for individuals with disabilities. If you have a mental or physical disability that affects your ability to perform the essential duties of your job, Placer County may be able to provide you with a reasonable accommodation to assist you in performing the essential functions of your job. In order to further evaluate what assistance might be appropriate and reasonable, the employer is entitled to require documentation about the existence of the disability and the functional limitations from an appropriate health care professional. For more information contact the Disability Management Administrator at (530) 886-2619.
What if I don't return from medical leave?
- If you fail to return to return to work after the FMLA leave, Placer County will recover its share of health plan premiums paid during a period of unpaid FMLA leave.