Skip to content

Paid Family Leave (PFL)

What is Paid Family Leave and Am I Eligible?

Effective July 1, 2004, eligible PPEO represented employees may take Paid Family Leave to provide care for ill parents, children, or a spouse and to bond with a newborn child, newly adopted child or newly placed foster care child. PFL provides up to six (6) weeks of paid benefits in a 12-month period and is administered by the State of California Employment Development Department. Only employees who are covered by SDI are eligible for this program.

PPEO represented employees:
  • You must be off work for seven calendar days before you are eligible for PFL benefits. You should apply for PFL benefits as soon as you know you will be out longer than seven calendar days.
  • You may coordinate your leave balances with your PFL benefits so that when combined you receive your regular compensation.
  • Sick leave may be used with PFL if you are caring for an ill family member (as defined above).
  • Vacation leave may be used with PFL to bond with your newborn child, newly adopted child, or newly placed foster care child.
  • You must immediately notify your department supervisor / payroll staff and submit the SDI/PFL Integration form in order to coordinate your PFL benefits.
  • Until you notify and submit proof to your department of your application for PFL, your sick leave and vacation hours will be used to calculate your pay.
  • If you decide to integrate your leave accruals with PFL benefits at a later date, you may not be allowed to receive retroactive benefits from Placer County
  • You may request the use of other leave time e.g., floating holiday and CTO with your department head's approval.

How do I request benefits?

The application forms are available from the Employment Development Department at Additional information can also be obtained through the Human Resources Department by calling (530) 889-4060.

Management, Confidential, and DSA represented Employees:

  • PFL is not available. Depending on the nature of your leave you will need to use your sick leave, vacation, CTO, and/or and Management Leave accruals with department head approval.