Skip to content

Adult-Alternative Sentencing FAQ

The Court said I could apply for alternative sentencing, where do I go?

Generally, to apply for alternative sentencing you must report to the

South Placer Justice Center
10810 Justice Center Dr. Suite 170,
Roseville CA 95678

How do I set up my alternative sentencing appointment with Probation?

We do not have appointments; interviews are conducted on a first-come, first-serve basis.  Our program interviews take place between 8:00 am and 10:30 am and 1:00 pm and 3:30 pm.

I have a question regarding alternative sentencing and I could not find the answer on this site.

Please contact us directly at (916) 543-7400; unless you applying for alternative sentencing in Tahoe.

What do I need to do to apply for alternative sentencing?

You must complete an Alternative Sentencing Application which can be downloaded from this site or picked up at the front desk upon arrival. 

What do I need to bring to the office?

Bring a Picture ID, copies of your court order and the application fee.

How much does the program cost?

There is a $25.00 application fee which can be paid up front or added to your bill with Revenue Services.  The cost of the program(s) is $20 a day.

What if I cannot afford the program fees?

You will not be denied from participating in the alternative sentencing based on your ability to pay.  Your ability to pay is determined by Revenue Services.  You must complete and submit an Application for Financial Evaluation to Determine Eligibility for Court-Appointed Counsel and Ability to Pay Fees form. 

If I miss my turn in date, what should I do?

Report to the Probation department and we will work with you to resolve this issue.

 How do I know which program I will be assigned too?

It is up the Probation Officer to determine which program fits your needs.

When will the alternative sentencing program start?

 Generally, EMP can start the same day you apply.  If you are assigned to Work Release; you will be assigned a job site and given a start date and time.

 What happens if I am denied alternative sentencing?

 Applicants who are denied alternative sentencing have the right to appeal.  Appeals must be submitted in writing to alternative sentencing unit supervisor. The applicant shall have the right to personally appear before the supervisor to present any materials in support of the appeal. The supervisor will make a written determination within ten (10) days and mail it to the applicants last known address.  If you are denied alternative sentencing you may reapply after turning yourself in to the jail.

What happens if I do not live in Placer County?

Probation has reciprocal agreements with most other counties.  If there is not an agreement, Probation will provide a list of private companies, which must be pre-approved. 

Can I use Medical Marijuana while on the program?

No, Medical Marijuana use is not allowed on any Alternative Sentencing Program.