Skip to content

Juvenile FAQ

How do I contact the Court Clerk’s Office for Juvenile Court/Department 12?

The Juvenile Court Clerk can be reached between the hours of
     8 a.m.-12p.m. and 1 p.m.-3 p.m. Monday through Friday.
     11270 B Avenue Auburn, CA 95603

If I am a divorced parent, and my child’s mother/father wants to visit as well, how long will the visit last?

If both parents visit on the same date but do not want to visit the minor together, each visit will be one hour a week.

 Can my child’s stepparent visit at the Juvenile Detention Facility?

A minor’s natural parents have precedence for visiting. A stepparent may visit only with the Juvenile Detention Facility Supervising Probation Officer’s authority and permission.

Can my child have his/her homework and books from school during their incarceration at the Juvenile Detention Facility?

Homework and school books may be brought in for a minor to work on and use while incarcerated. However, it will be entirely up to your child to work on this homework during their dayroom hours. Outside homework and school books will not take the place of the regular school curriculum scheduled at the Juvenile Detention Facility.

Can I mail my child letters while they are in the Juvenile Detention Facility?

All incoming mail to minors should be addressed as follows:

      [Minor’s Name]
      c/o Placer County Juvenile Detention Facility
      2929 Richardson Drive, suite B
      Auburn, CA 95603

If I mail my child a letter, is it read and inspected before it is given to him/her?

Incoming mail will be opened and inspected for contraband. On occasion, probation staff may read mail for safety and security purposes.

Can I send my child photographs at the Juvenile Detention Facility?

Photographs will be accepted for an incarcerated minor, given to the minor dependent on their progress within the facility. These photographs must not contain material related to or insinuating sexual activities or lewdness, the use of drugs or alcohol, violence, or gang related activities. Pictures that violate this policy will be withheld and placed in the minor’s property bag. Photos must be printed on regular photo paper.

Can I send my child packages at the Juvenile Detention Facility?

No packages of any kind will be accepted by the Juvenile Detention Facility. If it is suspected an article of mail contains items other than a letter, this mail will be withheld and returned to sender, or given to the minor’s Supervising Probation Officer for disbursal.

My child has never been involved in the Judicial System or had contact with law enforcement before. She/he is now acting incorrigible and acting out. Is there anything I can do?

Your child cannot be put in the Juvenile Detention Facility because of behavior problems. For assistance with a “beyond control” child, contact the Placer County Children's System of Care Program at (530) 889-6700 or the Crisis Resolution Center at (866) 251-7584.

Are counseling services available to my child while they are incarcerated in the Juvenile Detention Facility?

Yes, there is a full-time Mental Health Practitioner assigned to the Juvenile Detention Facility who offers counseling services and group counseling sessions.

My child has scheduled medical and dental appointments, as well as medical and dental conditions that need attention. Who can I contact regarding these problems?

There is full-time medical staff assigned to the Juvenile Detention Facility. They can be reached at (530) 886-4873.

Can my child make phone calls to me while they are incarcerated?

Upon a minor's detention at the Juvenile Detention Facility, they may make three phone calls to parent/guardian, attorney and/or employer. Minors are also able to complete phone calls to parents and/or legal guardians from a payphone, on a collect call basis only. Phone cards cannot be used.

Can my child write and send letters while incarcerated?

The Juvenile Detention Facility will pay the postage for two personal letters per week per minor. Minors may have self-adhesive stamps while in custody, which may be used to pay for postage on additional letters they choose to write and send.

Where are the Probation Department offices located?

     Auburn Justice Center
      2929 Richardson Drive Ste B
      Auburn, CA 95603

      Santucci Justice Center
      10810 Justice Center Drive Ste 170
      Roseville, CA 95678
      Tahoe Office
      7252 North Lake Blvd.
      Tahoe Vista, CA 96148

Does the commitment or placement of my child outside of my home cost me any money?

Yes, the Welfare and Institutions Code provides that you can be charged for the costs of care and support of your child each day she, he is detained, committed to the Juvenile Detention Facility, placement, foster home or a Juvenile Ranch/Camp.

I received a bill from the Probation Department for the care and support costs of my child in Juvenile Detention Facility. Since I have joint custody of this child with my ex-spouse, do I only have to pay half the bill?

Under the Welfare and Institutions Code the father, mother, spouse, and other person are liable for support of a minor. The liability is joint and several liability. Both parents are responsible for the payment of this bill in its entirety, not just a portion due to child custody splits.

I can't afford the billing I received for the care and support costs of my child in the Juvenile Detention Facility. What can I do?

Contact Placer County Revenue Services Division to obtain a financial evaluation form and discuss the process. Payment plans may be set up if financial documents support it. This payment plan does not reduce the liability incurred.
Placer County Revenue Services Division,
10810 Justice Center Drive, Ste 100
Roseville, CA 95678

My child is on probation with a condition for search and seizure, can you search him/her 24 hours a day, even at a friend’s house?

Yes, your child can be searched at any time, anywhere. A probation officer or law enforcement officer can also search his/her room, home, vehicle, and space at his/her place of employment at anytime.