Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

I have a question on a reported case. How do I find out the status?

Contact Sheriff's Records Office, 530-889-7812. No information is available on-line

I received a traffic violation in Placer County I would like to attend traffic school rather than paying the fine. I am not sure how I need to go about doing this.

 Contact Placer County Courts  

Do I need to go to the South Placer Jail (Roseville) if I would like to use onsite video visitation kiosks?

The Placer County Sheriff’s Office offers face to face (non-contact visits) at our Auburn Facility and for our Minimum Security inmates.  Inmates, other than minimum security, housed at the South Placer Jail must conduct their visits through a video visiting kiosk.  They may connect directly from their home computer for a fee, or they can use one of the kiosks available in the lobby of the South Placer Jail free of charge. 

Can a court date be rescheduled?

The Sheriff’s Office is unable to re-schedule court dates. This must be handled through the Placer County Trial Courts. It will be up to the courts whether or not to reschedule the court date. The courts number is (916) 408-6000.

How can I file a restraining order?

Restraining Orders are handled through the following Placer County Superior Court offices.

Domestic relations (i.e. husband, wife or known relative) Family Law Division - 530-886-1212
Unknown/no relation to subject Civil Division - 530-889-6560

Who do I call to pick up a wild animal?

If the animal is found in an unincorporated area of Placer County (outside city/town) limits, you may call Placer County Animal Control at (530) 886-5500, otherwise please contact your city's Animal Control.

What are the regulations on shooting in Placer County?

The county does not regulate shooting on private property as long as you do the following:
• You are in the unincorporated area of the county.
• You are shooting in a safe manner.
• You are shooting on your property, and the rounds stop on your property in a safe backstop.
• You may not shoot across another person’s property, road, easement, fence line etc.
• If you are shooting on someone else’s property, that property owner must accompany the shooter or you must have their written permission.

The fish and game rule of shooting with 300 feet of any dwelling only applies to hunting, it has no bearing on target shooting.

 Do you dispose of old guns or flares?

You may handle this one of two ways. You may bring the ammunition to the front office of the Sheriff's Office at 2929 Richardson Dr., Auburn, Monday - Friday 8am to 5pm. Have the front desk request a deputy meet you and he will take possession of the ammunition and flares, or, you may call our dispatch center and have a deputy respond to your residence at your convenience. The dispatch center may be reached by calling (530) 889-5375 24 hours a day/7 days a week.

How do I go about finding job information?

job information

How can I get a Concealed Weapons Permit? 

Concealed Weapons 

How do I get Vehicle Release Information? 

Vehicle Release Information

How do I find Megan's Law Information?

Megan's Law Information 

What happens to unclaimed property?

unclaimed property 

What is Sheriff Council?

Sheriff's Council

Can I make a 911 call from a cell phone to Placer County Sheriff?

cell phone  

Need a question answered? Contact us at

Have a Concealed Weapons Permit question? Contact