Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the date and location of the sale?

The next tax defaulted land sale has not yet been determined.  The sale is held in the Planning Commission Hearing Room, Community Development Resource Center, 3091 County Center Dr., Auburn, CA. 


Tax Collector's Office:

From Sacramento, take Interstate 80 East to Auburn, exit Bell Road, turn left on Bell Road. Follow Bell Road approximately three miles, go through the intersection with Hwy 49 and left on Richardson Drive. The Tax Collector is in the two story, red brick "Finance - Administration" building on the left side of the street. Our physical address is 2976 Richardson Drive, we are located on the second floor.


The addresses and phone numbers of frequently requested County Departments have been provided below for your convenience.

2980 Richardson Drive, 2nd Floor.
Auburn, CA 95603-2640
(530) 889-4300

Planning Department
3091 County Center Drive
Auburn, CA 95603
(530) 745-3000

Building Department
3091 County Center Drive
Auburn, CA 95603
(530) 745-3010

Public Works
3091 County Center Drive
Auburn, CA 95603
(530) 745-7500

County Clerk-Recorder-Registrar
2954 Richardson Drive, 1st Floor
Auburn, CA 95603
(530) 886-5600

Treasurer-Tax Collector
2976 Richardson Drive, 2nd Floor
Auburn, CA 95603
(530) 889-4120

Environmental Health
3091 County Center Drive
Auburn, CA 95603
(530) 745-2300
Tahoe Regional Planning Agency
128 Market Street
Stateline, NV 89449
(775) 588-4547


2. When and where is the sale advertised?

The sale is advertised in a newspaper published in the county seat (Auburn) approximately three weeks before the sale, as well as on our website at Land Sale.


3. How and when do I register for the tax sale?

Registration begins at 8:00 a.m. the day of the sale. Registration forms will be available at the registration desk on the morning of the sale at the Planning Commission Hearing Room, Community Development Resource Center, 3091 County Center Dr., Auburn, CA.  The sale begins at 9:00 a.m.


4. What are the payment requirements at the sale?

A $500.00 refundable deposit is required when you register (cash or cashier's check). If a bidder is successful in the purchase of a property, the $500.00 cash deposit will be applied to the purchase price. Unsuccessful bidders will be refunded their deposit at the conclusion of the sale. All sales require full payment, which includes the transfer tax and recording fee. At the tax collector's discretion, purchases over $5,000.00 may be paid for on a credit payment plan, but ten percent of the bid or $5,000.00, whichever is greater, is required to be deposited at the time of the sale. The balance is payable in lawful money of the United States or negotiable paper, as specified by the tax collector, within a period specified by the tax collector, not to exceed 90 days from the date of the auction, as a condition precedent to the transfer of title to the purchaser. If the balance due is not paid within the period specified, THE DEPOSIT IS FORFEITED, along with all rights with respect to the property (§3693.1). PERSONAL CHECKS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. All cashier's checks must be made payable to the Placer County Tax Collector.


5. What is the bidding process?

Public auction. You must be present to bid.


6. What type of document is issued at the sale?

Receipt at time of sale. A tax deed is forwarded to the successful bidder after payment is made in full.


7. Are there any other expenses in addition to the cost of the lien?

Normally, recording fees & transfer tax.


8. What are the foreclosure and eviction processes and will the county handle these processes for a fee?

No, the county does not handle the foreclosure or the eviction process. The property is sold "as is" and buyers assume all ownership responsibilities.


9. What happens to the properties that are not sold at the Tax Land Sale?

The property will be offered at a subsequent sale if not redeemed sooner.


10. Do you allow individuals to purchase Tax Lien Certificates?

The county does not currently sell tax lien certificates.


11. If I am unable to attend the public auction, can I purchase property via mail, phone or fax? Can I send a representative to the sale to bid for me?

 You must be present to bid.  The County will not accept bids via mail, phone or fax.  If you wish to register/vest and bid/purchase on behalf of another party (a public agency, company, corporation, partnership, LLC, trust, or individual), notarized copies of documentation that give you the authority to represent said party are required at time of registration.


12. What if I have questions and cannot find the answers online?

Questions can be directed to our office in a variety of ways:
Telephone: (530) 889-4129
Email at
At our front desk at 2976 Richardson Drive, 2nd Floor, in Auburn, CA
Mail inquiries to Placer County Tax Collector, 2976 Richardson Dr., Auburn, CA 95603


13. How may I obtain a copy of the statutes regarding tax sales in your jurisdiction?

The California State statutes are available at your public library or on the internet at


14. Do liens or encumbrances on a tax-defaulted property transfer to the new owner after purchase of the property at a tax sale?

A tax deed to the purchaser conveys title free of most encumbrances existing before the sale (e.g. Deed of Trust, mechanics liens, judgments, as well as all prior delinquent taxes.). Those encumbrances which continue, primarily liens of special assessments and easements, are described in Section No. 3712 of the Revenue & Taxation Code.


15. Is there any reason the tax sale may be postponed?

Yes, the tax-defaulted land sale may be postponed due to public calamity, illness of staff personnel, inclement weather or other events that may occur on the date of the sale. The right of redemption is automatically extended to the close of business on the last business day prior to the new sale date.


16. What about Excess Proceeds? Am I eligible?

Excess Proceeds will be held in trust and Parties of Interest, as defined by Revenue & Taxation Code section 4675, will be notified and may file a claim for excess proceeds up to one year from the recordation of the tax deed to the purchaser. Parties of interest and their order of priority, per Code Section 4675, are:

1) First, lienholders of record prior to the recordation of the tax deed to the purchaser in the order of their priority; and

2) Then, any person with title of record to all or any portion of the property prior to the recordation of the tax deed to the purchaser.

The final excess proceeds amounts will be less due to costs and fees associated with the excess proceeds process. If you are a Party of Interest, you will receive notification from our office after the Tax-Defaulted Land sale. If you do not receive said notification within 90 days from the recordation of the tax deed to the purchaser, and have documentation you are a Party of Interest, please contact our office at (530) 889-4129. Requests for information regarding Excess Proceeds may be obtained by submitting a written request by mail to our office or by email at