Effective July 1, 2004, eligible PPEO represented employees may take Paid Family Leave (PFL) to provide care for ill parents, children, or a spouse and to bond with a newborn child, newly adopted child or newly placed foster care child. PFL provides up to 6 weeks of paid benefits in a 12-month period and is administered by the State of California Employment Development Department. Only employees who are covered by SDI are eligible for this program.
PPEO represented employees:
- All Paid Family Leave (PFL) claims must be completed and submitted no earlier than the first day your family leave begins, but no later than 41 days after your first day of leave.
- You may coordinate your leave balances with your PFL benefits so that when combined you receive your regular compensation.
- Sick leave may be used with PFL if you are caring for an ill family member (as defined).
- Vacation leave may be used with PFL to bond with your newborn child, newly adopted child, or newly placed foster care child.
- You must immediately notify your department supervisor/payroll staff and submit the SDI/PFL Integration form in order to coordinate your PFL benefits.
- Until you notify and submit proof to your department of your application for PFL, your sick leave and vacation hours will be used to calculate your pay.
- If you decide to integrate your leave accruals with PFL benefits at a later date, you may not be allowed to receive retroactive benefits from Placer County
- You may request the use of other leave time e.g., floating holiday and CTO with your department head’s approval.