Short-Term Vacation Rental Program

Short-Term Rental Ordinance

Home on the waters of lake tahoe Opens in new window

Short-term rentals are residential units rented for 30 days or less, typically advertised as vacation rentals. The ordinance adopted in April 2022 is intended to preserve residential neighborhood character and address community concerns regarding nuisances caused by STR operations. It includes updates to noise, trash, parking, and occupancy, increased penalties and fines, and additional requirements to ensure each STR is operating in compliance with building and fire codes. The ordinance also contains new cap provisions limiting the quantity of STR operations in East Placer.


 All STR permit applications will be processed according to the priority established in Section 9.42.040 (C) of the STR Ordinance. Applying for a Short-Term Rental permit mandates an applicant to agree to accept the terms of owning a Short-Term Rental permit, which requires that the applicant must comply with Article 9.42 of the Placer County Code.  

Effective immediately:  Anyone operating or advertising an STR without an issued permit will be subject to the penalties as defined in section 9.42.100 (A) of the STR Ordinance. 

STR Permit Renewal:  You will receive a notice with instructions from the STR program for your 2023 permit renewal one month prior to your expiration date. Please make sure your permit account has the correct contact information by using the Edit Your Application link above. 

In cases where you must apply for a new STR permit, because you do not meet the requirements for renewal, you may not rent on a short-term basis while your new application for a STR permit is pending. If you do so, you are in violation of the STR ordinance and may be cited.

 UPDATE: Fire Life Safety and Defensible Space Inspections Deadline:

We are extending the deadline to complete the fire life safety and/or defensible space inspections for the 2023 renewal cycle. You will be given until 5:00 pm on October 31, 2023, to submit proof that you passed your fire inspection(s). If you have already passed a fire life safety inspection, we will honor that passing fire inspection when you renew your STR permit in 2023. Your STR permit will be revoked if you fail to provide proof of passing both your fire inspections by the end of day on October 31, 2023. If your STR permit is revoked, because you failed to complete your fire inspection requirement, you may not apply for a new permit for two years per Placer County Short-Term Rental Ordinance Sec. 9.42.040 (C)(5). 

It is your responsibility to provide accurate and up-to-date contact information for your STR permit. A helpful way to ensure you do not miss a communication from us is to add the county email domain ( to the safe sender list in your inbox. 

If you need to update the email address on file please email [email protected] and include your STR permit number in the subject line.

  1. Helpful STR Info
  2. Mandatory STR Postings
  3. Applications
  4. Fees & Inspections


It is important for our Code Compliance team to witness violations so please call the hotline for the fastest response.

1. For the fastest response, please call our 24/7 hotline at 530-448-8003 to report a violation. Be sure to include your name, phone number, address of the property you are reporting and a description of the violation occurring. 

2. As a backup option, you may also submit complaints via email to [email protected]. Be sure to include your name, phone number, address of the property you are reporting and a description of the violation occurring.  

*NOTE: All complaints are kept confidential. If you choose to submit an anonymous complaint it will not be addressed by Placer County staff.

Contact Us:

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 530-581-6234

Office Hours: Monday through Friday - 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Public Counter Posting Pickup Hours: Monday through Thursday - 9 a.m. to 5 p.m

Tahoe City Office

PO Box 1909
775 North Lake Blvd.
Tahoe City, CA 96145